Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Button in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen exactly one feature added to FSD in the ~1.5 years I've owned the car, the Traffic Light Stop and Go thing, and I bought in March 2020 so it's not like I was one of the first people to get a Model 3 in the UK.

Dojo could change everything, and also cure cancer, but even if it does I suspect we'll not know about it in the UK for at least a year, more likely 2, 3 or even more. There are already rumblings about HW4 and the potential for more cameras or relocations of existing ones.

I can blame regulations, but the fact remains that we are far behind the States in terms of the pace of development, and even they are plodding along to some extent. Elon promised an open beta button in March for them, which as we all know never happened. If he is that far off promises to Tesla's home market, imagine how far we are away when UNECE regulations are in the mix, etc.
Apparently the Musk has already announced that the Cybertruck (which, surprise surprise, has been delayed yet again) will feature HW4 ( or FSD Computer 2) and new cameras. But it is just the way that Musk has been so disastrously wrong in the past that gives me zero confidence in his ability to deliver. For example:

March 2015:
"I don't think we have to worry about autonomous cars because it's a sort of a narrow form of AI. It's not something I think is very difficult. To do autonomous driving that is to a degree much safer than a person, is much easier than people think... I almost view it like a solved problem."

February 2019:
“I think we will be feature complete, full self-driving, this year. Meaning the car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up and take you all the way to your destination without an intervention. This year. I would say I am of certain of that, that is not a question mark.”

That’s only a couple of examples from many. I really don’t think he’s got the faintest clue, but he has to keep on being brazen and making all sorts of ridiculous promises to keep the money for FSD rolling in.

There are optimists who are convinced that FSD is jus around the corner, and there are sceptics (realists) like me who think it is many years away. Only time will tell, but there’s no doubt that, with Musk at least, history is in the side of the sceptics.

II'm seeing videos showing Beta 10 needing intervention to handle turning on empty roads (it's like youtubers have been told not to stress the system and only drive at 5am on Sunday or something).. It still handles roundabouts like a tired granny (so bad that round here it'd likely cause an accident).

This is what Musk called 'mind blowing'. He needs to start giving us a truer picture of where they are because you can only maintain the hype for so long and for me it's totally gone.. I want realistic estimates, even if it's 5 years away.

I watched a video of beta 10 last night.
it was doing pretty well up the point where it made a left turn into the oncoming lane!
fortunately only one car coming a way off but it makes the point how important good road markings are to the visual mix.
clearly not at a level I’d want to trust yet. …but it’s way above what I have now!

I presume everyone that is critical of Teslas approach to Autonomy has seen the best of the rest.....Bare in mind Waymo has been at this since 2009, has pretty much an unlimited budget from Google.

Do you not think there’s anything at all to criticise about Tesla’s approach? And on this forum we’re not talking about other companies, we’re talking about Tesla. Other companies have certainly admitted that autonomy is more challenging than they thought. The difference with Tesla is that no one else shoots their mouth off like Musk, making ridiculous promises that are broken time and time again. Despite his lack of credibility there are still plenty of people who hang onto his every word.

I can see absolutely nothing in Tesla’s past performance that gives me any confidence that they will solve FSD anytime soon. Some nice new graphics with V10 and Musk continually mouthing off isn’t going to change that.

Reactions: Tony Hoyle
I have to admit that Elon’s constant failed promises is something that put me off the Tesla brand, but ultimately overall, Tesla has so many things going for it that I was still able to justify ordering one.

If Musk can stop making promises that he can’t keep, and they sort out the build quality issues, they will be truly world beating.

Reactions: goRt and drewpost
You’ve completely misunderstood what I’ve said
The car needs data to understand the road, that doesn’t need to be represented in a form that humans understand and look pretty, it needs to be in a form that can be applied to the software that controls the car. They have spent a lot of effort making it look pretty for humans.. the question is why? We don’t drive using that visual, it’s really of zero benefit to us, so it’s potentially just to give the illusion they know what the surroundings are when they have no extra information than they had before.

It is something of an anomaly that a robust self driving car - safe enough to.... drive..... should need to convince it's occupants of such by way of pretty pictures.

At the moment on current UK versions the (still) jumpy / glitchy visualisations don't inspire much confidence.

Just did a couple of hundred miles on motorways and had all the same old snags. Phantom brake with big white artic. at 10:00 / 11:00. Completely wrong speed adjustments transitioning from one motorway to another. Lorry visualisations slewing back and forth across lanes. Manually set 50mph speed for roadworks suddenly adjusted itself to 70. Regular incorrect message to 'merge right to continue on route'.

I get the feeling that even now there is little or no adjustment for UK road layouts.

I’m starting to look at the iD4 and Enyaq quite a bit. It’s stuff like matrix headlights, car play and other capabilities that improve the driving experience that I’m really missing from previous cars.

The more I watch the focus on FSD, obsession with 0-60 times and lack of focus on refining the overall product, the more frustrated I get. I feel like, to Tesla, unless you live in the US then you really aren’t a priority for ongoing development. The pace of software releases alone this year is a great example of that. The iterative but forward moving progress seems to have stalled.

It is something of an anomaly that a robust self driving car - safe enough to.... drive..... should need to convince it's occupants of such by way of pretty pictures.

At the moment on current UK versions the (still) jumpy / glitchy visualisations don't inspire much confidence.

Just did a couple of hundred miles on motorways and had all the same old snags. Phantom brake with big white artic. at 10:00 / 11:00. Completely wrong speed adjustments transitioning from one motorway to another. Lorry visualisations slewing back and forth across lanes. Manually set 50mph speed for roadworks suddenly adjusted itself to 70. Regular incorrect message to 'merge right to continue on route'.

I get the feeling that even now there is little or no adjustment for UK road layouts.

Autopilot (and Enhanced Autopilot) are completely different to the full self driving software. It's like comparing MS-DOS and Windows 10.

You might need a background in machine learning to appreciate just how far ahead of the competition Tesla is with their FSD software. They are years ahead of their nearest competition at the moment and that gap will increase as Dojo comes online and more Tesla vehicles take to the road for data gathering.

Tesla have no incentive to improve really.. look at the competition...
- can only even follow lanes on perfectly straight roads. And only on preselected roads.

AP is pretty bad but it's nowhere near as bad as that.. which is why they've basically abandoned it in favour of the pipe dream that is FSD.. why improve your product when your customers have no choice?

Autopilot (and Enhanced Autopilot) are completely different to the full self driving software.

They are years ahead of their nearest competition at the moment

Ah, I stand corrected. /S

Who mentioned AP or EAP?

Seriously.....

FSD Beta / city / US does look better than the bogus fsd / uk I shelled out for. Makes no difference what Tesla say they are doing / about to do in the US if my experience is still at v .01 alpha.

Last edited:
FSD is basically irrelevant for the UK market for many years - probably beyond the lifetime of our current cars. It's no good saying 'the next version will be great' if it never comes out. What we have is AP and really talking about something that actually exists vs. something that might exist at some time in the future is more productive. Tesla have a *terrible* reputation for actually releasing working software vs. saying they're going to.

Autopilot (and Enhanced Autopilot) are completely different to the full self driving software. It's like comparing MS-DOS and Windows 10.

You might need a background in machine learning to appreciate just how far ahead of the competition Tesla is with their FSD software. They are years ahead of their nearest competition at the moment and that gap will increase as Dojo comes online and more Tesla vehicles take to the road for data gathering.
This is the sort of stuff we’ve been fed for years. The next hardware, the next software, and now Dojo will solve everything. Tesla are way ahead of anyone else. No other company is even close. Must be because I know nothing about machine learning but I don’t believe a word of it. Musk has been spouting complete crap about FSD for years, consistently failing to deliver on his promises. I see no hard evidence that V10, AI, neural networks or Dojo will deliver when everything else has failed. We’ll still be left beta testing vapourware.