Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Disappeared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a 2021 Model X Performance. I bought it last year, used. The car has full self driving capability. I entered the FSD Beta queue in April 2022, and I kept my Safety Score high, but I didn't get FSD Beta until everyone got it in December 2022.

Now, more recently, it disappeared. Autopilot is still there. I tried "powering off" the car to reboot it. Still gone. I can't tell if this happened after the last update, which was 2023.2.10, or after the FSD recall- they both occurred about the same time. It's been almost a month. No FSD Beta.

Has this happened to others after the recall?
I'm sure you tried this but just in case did you try a soft reboot? I do this every once in a while when things go glitchy on my MXP 2022.

Hello,

I have a 2021 Model X Performance. I bought it last year, used. The car has full self driving capability. I entered the FSD Beta queue in April 2022, and I kept my Safety Score high, but I didn't get FSD Beta until everyone got it in December 2022.

Now, more recently, it disappeared. Autopilot is still there. I tried "powering off" the car to reboot it. Still gone. I can't tell if this happened after the last update, which was 2023.2.10, or after the FSD recall- they both occurred about the same time. It's been almost a month. No FSD Beta.

You probably don't but... do you remember the firmware version of the FSD Beta you got in December?

Sometimes weird stuff on the display will straighten out overnight after the car sleeps. All of my charging options disappeared the other day, which the reboot didn't fix. They were back the next day.

Sometimes the car just needs to sleep. 🙄
I've thought about that, so I re-booted the car, with the "power off" method. Still no FSD, but the computer isn't lagging anymore. I also had that warning about the "Rear passenger seat restraint fault", which seems to have cleared since the reboot.

Boy people don't read what they post. The OP has been update to a NON FSD Beta firmware. There is no way to 'reboot' your way back to a different firmware version.
I did not know that the update was FSD firmware. That wasn't clear in the release notes, which do not mention FSD at all. All the release notes state is "minor bug fixes". So, how would I know that was FSD firmware?

Yes, so you have FSD. So if you had FSD beta the vehicle was either opted out or Tesla removed the vehicle from the beta due to too many strikes.

With that said, since the software was updated you will not likely get back into the beta until the beta is on a later version of the software.

Currently 11.3.1 (not widely released at time of writing) is on 2022.45.10

Sorry don't have better news. Hopefully at some point soon the two versions will merge and this will not longer be an issue
I would just like to find out what happened and why, but maybe I can't. I will keep in the service ticket open, in the off chance the service center can tell me.

I did not know that the update was FSD firmware. That wasn't clear in the release notes, which do not mention FSD at all. All the release notes state is "minor bug fixes". So, how would I know that was FSD firmware?
You are no longer on a Beta firmware so you can't have FSD Beta. Unfortunately that is end of story and there is NOTHING that can be done for now. As to what happened????? Did you take your car in for service at about the time?

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 11.51.02 AM.png

Last edited:
You are no longer on a Beta firmware so you can't have FSD Beta. Unfortunately that is end of story and there is NOTHING that can be done for now. As to what happened????? Did you take your car in for service at about the time?

View attachment 918180
Maybe that would explain it. Yes, in January I did take the car in for service. The front drive unit had to be replaced. I first took it in in December for a noise coming from the front- no performance issues. They diagnosed it as a bad front drive unit. They had to order it, and it was replaced in January. They factory reset the computer back to zero, I had to reprogram everything. FSD was gone initially until the "cameras recalibrated". That took a couple of days. It did come back, though. Maybe they changed the firmware?

Reactions: MobileClimate
Maybe that would explain it. Yes, in January I did take the car in for service. The front drive unit had to be replaced. I first took it in in December for a noise coming from the front- no performance issues. They diagnosed it as a bad front drive unit. They had to order it, and it was replaced in January. They factory reset the computer back to zero, I had to reprogram everything. FSD was gone initially until the "cameras recalibrated". That took a couple of days. It did come back, though. Maybe they changed the firmware?
THAT is the end of the mystery. Tesla installed Service Firmware to replace the motor. You didn't tell them to reinstall (from the Service Menu) your old Firmware. So they just downloaded and installed the latest Firmware version which is past/newer than the Beta you had.

Now all you can do is wait it out. Going back is NOT possible.

Sounds like you were opted out of the beta when the system was reset. Unless the techs drove your car and got a bunch of strikes? You may never know the exact chain of events but factory reset opt out sounds plausable. Then a non fsd beta update got pushed to your car. One can only speculate as to what happened at this point.

THAT is the end of the mystery. Tesla installed Service Firmware to replace the motor. You didn't tell them to reinstall (from the Service Menu) your old Firmware. So they just downloaded and installed the latest Firmware version which is past/newer than the Beta you had.

Now all you can do is wait it out. Going back is NOT possible.
I didn't tell them? No. Did they ask? No. Should I have known that? No. I wouldn't have known to tell them that. In fact, they told me initially it would take one day to replace the front drive unit. They had the car for a week, didn't give me a loaner, and didn't keep me updated as to what was going on, until it was ready.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
I didn't tell them? No. Did they ask? No. Should I have known that? No. I wouldn't have known to tell them that. In fact, they told me initially it would take one day to replace the front drive unit. They had the car for a week, didn't give me a loaner, and didn't keep me updated as to what was going on, until it was ready
Perhaps the service center could not choose which software version gets installed and could only install the production software. FSD beta access is controlled by Engineering, not the Service Dept. Or, they may have simply screwed up.

You just need to go into the car's menus and request FSD beta, if you haven't already done so. Then, you need to hold off on installing any new software until you're car downloads a version that has FSD beta.

Perhaps the service center could not choose which software version gets installed and could only install the production software. FSD beta access is controlled by Engineering, not the Service Dept. Or, they may have simply screwed up.

You just need to go into the car's menus and request FSD beta, if you haven't already done so. Then, you need to hold off on installing any new software until you're car downloads a version that has FSD beta.
Ok, thanks. At least we have figured out what happened.

I didn't tell them? No. Did they ask? No. Should I have known that? No. I wouldn't have known to tell them that. In fact, they told me initially it would take one day to replace the front drive unit. They had the car for a week, didn't give me a loaner, and didn't keep me updated as to what was going on, until it was ready.
They should have known...sounds like service could have done better on keeping you updated also. When mine was in service they updated me at least every 48 hours. I believe they have to reprogram the inverter when they replace the motor. SM should have the procedure but I am too lazy to pull it up ATM. I would be upset to if they did this to mine. Just be patient though and eventually the beta will catch up.

They should have known...sounds like service could have done better on keeping you updated also. When mine was in service they updated me at least every 48 hours. I believe they have to reprogram the inverter when they replace the motor. SM should have the procedure but I am too lazy to pull it up ATM. I would be upset to if they did this to mine. Just be patient though and eventually the beta will catch up.
Thanks. Yes, I'm upset, but I won't let it get to me. There are worse things in life.

Reactions: Krash
As long as it doesn't go through Tesla ownership. Once Tesla owns the car they can and will remove FSD before reselling it. As long as it stays 3rd party then FSD remains.
In Canada, Tesla seems to do the opposite. All of the used stock on their website has FSD added, which of course costs them virtually nothing, but for anyone contemplating FSD, it makes it difficult for anyone with a used Tesla to compete. Quite brilliant. Even if they don't derive "value" from FSD in the initial sale, demos, trade ins and lease returns can make immediate profits over 10k... (FSD is $19500 in Canada...)

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
I got my FSD back, 3.5 months after this started.

I did previously open a service request at the service center where this all started. Like another poster opined, that was worthless. They cancelled the request, stating they checked the service logs and my FSD beta trial was up, so I needed to upgrade through the app. This is all BS. The app and my car state I have all the upgrades, there is nothing to upgrade to. I believe they just made this up, when they couldn't figure out what was going on, remotely.

Reactions: m5james and KArnold
Hello,

Hello, this is a bit late follow-up, however, may I know how long it took until you got this back?