Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta - Disengagements, what happens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you reach five forced disengagements, what happens?
Does the car automatically disenroll you or does it come with the next update?
Are you eligible to qualify again via safety score or are you permanently disqualified?

I ask because after 600 miles of FSD Beta I had no forced disengagements, but now in my latest trip after the most recent update I’ve racked up three forced disengagements in 200 miles. All three disengagements occurred when FSD was going past a semi, freaked out and phantom braked to the semi’s speed leaving me in its blind spot and almost rear ended by the car behind me, which forced me to put on the throttle to speed up. Each time it flashed red and decided I had exceeded the FSD beta speedlimit (really? 70mph on a 65mph?). The third time I had manually disengaged right before speeding up and it still flagged me.

Also any way to see a counter for forced disengagements? I’m not sure these even count against me, since the language seems to mostly be about inattentive driving.

Thank you!

Once you reach five forced disengagements, what happens?
Does the car automatically disenroll you or does it come with the next update?
Are you eligible to qualify again via safety score or are you permanently disqualified?

I ask because after 600 miles of FSD Beta I had no forced disengagements, but now in my latest trip after the most recent update I’ve racked up three forced disengagements in 200 miles. All three disengagements occurred when FSD was going past a semi, freaked out and phantom braked to the semi’s speed leaving me in its blind spot and almost rear ended by the car behind me, which forced me to put on the throttle to speed up. Each time it flashed red and decided I had exceeded the FSD beta speedlimit (really? 70mph on a 65mph?). The third time I had manually disengaged right before speeding up and it still flagged me.

Also any way to see a counter for forced disengagements? I’m not sure these even count against me, since the language seems to mostly be about inattentive driving.

Thank you!
Are those highway miles or non-highway? If that’s non-highway I would be impressed. Fsd beta has not driving me anything like even 100 miles (probably not even 10) without a disengagement.

Even on the highway I’m somewhat impressed with 600 miles.

I think (all of this is second hand) that:
- exceeding the 80mph speed disabled fsd until you park, but is not counted as a strike. Ignoring the lack of attention alerts while using fsd is a strike. (And I believe it’s especially keen on catching phone use while using fsd)
- you can be dis-enrolled between updates.
- it’s permanent
- and I read in the release notes that the # of stokes remaining is shown somewhere but I’ve not looked for. I would check under the software menu.

The max speed is actually 80 and your other questions are outlined in each software update after download. Thats kind of why they ask you to read the notes on the install.
How sweet of you to point out to read the software notes. Interestingly, I’m not new to reading and this actually did read the notes both in my car as well as articles on point, before asking these questions here. My questions aren’t answered. Perhaps they were answered in one of the first updates? But they aren’t in the cars current interface or anywhere else that I’ve searched.

Furthermore, I did not exceed 80mph — I know because I intentionally enable “speed limit mode” with a max speed of 80mph when using autopilot. After playing with it more on the trip, it appears to occur when the car phantom brakes and sets the speed limit down to 55mph or below to pace a truck I am pacing, I tap the throttle to resume existing speed that was more than 15mph that the new attempted speed, and it decides the much higher speed is greatly exceeding the current setting. Unless I’m somehow mistaken and seventy is greater than eighty, but that seems unlikely.

As for the notes, they say forced disengagements due to inattentiveness, but there are several blog posts speculating that this includes all forms of forced disengagement. Also, the notes just say your use of the beta is suspended, but not for how long or whether you can qualify again. Perhaps there is another meaning behind the words that I missed?

Are those highway miles or non-highway? If that’s non-highway I would be impressed. Fsd beta has not driving me anything like even 100 miles (probably not even 10) without a disengagement.

Even on the highway I’m somewhat impressed with 600 miles.

I think (all of this is second hand) that:
- exceeding the 80mph speed disabled fsd until you park, but is not counted as a strike. Ignoring the lack of attention alerts while using fsd is a strike. (And I believe it’s especially keen on catching phone use while using fsd)
- you can be dis-enrolled between updates.
- it’s permanent
- and I read in the release notes that the # of stokes remaining is shown somewhere but I’ve not looked for. I would check under the software menu.
Hah. No, on the highway with beta I disengage at least once every 100 miles. In the city at least once every three blocks! I’m speaking about forced disengagements, which I had not previously experienced while using the beta. Now I am getting them, despite having enabled the speed limiter for 80mph.

I’ve explored the software menu and don’t see the number of strikes anywhere. Thus either I have none or it’s not displayed.

The strikes count is in the autopilot menu section, even if no strikes have occurred it seems (see attached pic of my screen):

image.jpg

It still shows you are in self-driving beta, but the options are a grayed out and says you have been suspended and will be reinstated on a future software release. They only option it leaves is report autopilot snapshot...

It still shows you are in self-driving beta, but the options are a grayed out and says you have been suspended and will be reinstated on a future software release. They only option it leaves is report autopilot snapshot...
Where does it say that? In the screenshot it warns of the 5 suspended event count but then says "This vehicle has NOT had any such events."