Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta expansion to new beta testers June 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hands down two different worlds. Regular AP is trash comparatively.
Seconded. Sort of.

FSD on two-lane roads with stripes isn't half bad. Without, it's your life in your hands. Will handle stop lights, sort of, but not very well. Stop signs, well, forget it.
FSD-b is better on two lane roads with stripes. It'll do a much better job slowing down on curves. It won't come to a screeching halt when somebody turns onto the road, or crosses it in front of somebody and, if it has to slow down under those circumstances, does a better job. Not human style, with an eye to missing cleanly, but better. With jerks. Will handle stop lights much better, but does a rotten job (at this time) picking lanes to go straight ahead/right/left upon. It'll get through right turns in one piece, but, at this time, left turns are a crap shoot that it fouls up on maybe 60%, 75% of the time. And it's very jerky with those.

If I wasn't testing FSD-b and was interested in getting to destinations with decent blood pressure, it'd be the current release of FSD, hands down. On particular roads (out in the country, not much traffic, not much traffic signs/signals), FSD-b is better, no question. But one won't know if one has one of those kinds of roads until one tries. And if it's all like that.. FSD is adequate. Probably not super, but adequate.

My 2 cents on this, a lot depends on your commute. I have a 10 mile one way commute and out of those 10 miles, there are two stretches or about 4 miles which are always jam packed and have quite a few intersections where I don't have to turn right or left. As soon as I hit one of those stretches, I put the car in FSDb and my Blood pressure immediately dips. I am no more worried about people randomly braking, cutting me off or even getting terribly annoyed when that pesky Prius turns ahead of me. I just keep a watch and those stretches absolutely go by in the most mundane manner.
My last FSDb drive in that car from work to home, the car actually did the whole commute with no intervention! Yes, parking to parking - no intervention needed.
unfortunately, my old car was scheduled to be traded in for another Tesla (with no FSD) and since then, all I am thinking of is coming up with that 12k for FSD so that I can enroll myself back in.

Reactions: GuyDude
Any speed. A car length is about 14-15 feet (length of an average car). I learned you should give 1 car length per 10MPH of speed. So 70MPH should be about 100 feet. Tesla seems to be about 60 feet at level 7
that seems like an unnecessary calculation. I recall hearing the same thing in high school. To me it is easier to what a car pass a center line mark in the road and then count 2 seconds.

Reactions: Mark II
that seems like an unnecessary calculation. I recall hearing the same thing in high school. To me it is easier to what a car pass a center line mark in the road and then count 2 seconds.
All of these are secondary ... the primary issue of course is can you stop fast enough in an emergency to not hit the car in front of you (or pedestrian etc). And that comes down to reaction time and how fast the car can decelerate. Reaction time is dependent on the individual and issues such as intoxication, while deceleration is based on brake/tire performance and road conditions. The "2 second" etc rules are just decent approximations for average humans in average conditions. For AV cars, of course, things can be very different, particularly in reaction time.

Just saw this on Wastebook, are people who buy FSD for one month seriously getting prioritized for the beta over people who paid 4 years ago? Tesla is a joke.

1659861529127.png

Reactions: Dave EV and KArnold
Just saw this on Wastebook, are people who buy FSD for one month seriously getting prioritized for the beta over people who paid 4 years ago? Tesla is a joke.

View attachment 837635
Yes-a-butta: we now know that Tesla is prioritizing on where one drives and how often one uses FSD. And, also, that particular soul got in during the last glut of acceptances. Roughly the same time I did, with a measly score of 93.

Remember: the beta isn’t out there to satisfy owners’ itches for the latest and greatest, it’s to provide driving data for improving the beta so it’s not a beta any more. Having a good safe driving score is, apparently, part of the filtering process, but it’s not all of that process.

Musk keeps on saying that GA beta is on track for the end of the year. It’s far off, like Christmas, but the time is coming.

Remember: the beta isn’t out there to satisfy owners’ itches for the latest and greatest, it’s to provide driving data for improving the beta so it’s not a beta any more.

I really do not believe this, see previous post here to avoid repeating myself.

Tesla explicitly promised some of us who "overpaid" for FSD (they put it on sale right after we bought it and told us it would "cost more later") to get early access to this software over 3 years ago and has done nothing since. In fact they just deleted the old blog post and pretended like it never happened.

So given that background, for them to be pushing the software to someone who just bought the car and is paying on the monthly subscription is a slap in the face to those of us who pre-paid for FSD years ago and were taken advantage of.

Reactions: Dave EV