Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta expansion to new beta testers June 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think everyone is allowed to request the beta. You sign up for that on your car. That might be what you are calling the invitation.

From that point on you have a safety score assigned. You have requested but not received the beta at that point.

In the past if you kept a certain threshold safety score for a certain number of miles or days, and Tesla was adding beta testers, then you got in and the beta automatically downloaded.

There was a hiatus of Tesla adding new Beta testers in the USA from about New Years until yesterday. So many of us has requested the beta months before but not received it.

And yesterday Tesla opened it up for 40k new beta testers.
No I got a full on welcome email: “Welcome to Early Access Program”
Also had to digital sign a couple of things.

Unless everyone gets those Invitation and Welcome emails.

it's not really bugs... it's just incomplete. They are teaching a neural net how to drive from scratch. And it's at the stage where it can handle the basics, but anything a little weird will produce unexpected results.

Like if you drive mainly on very well marked two-lane roads with light traffic, it can do that pretty well. Drive in any moderate or heavier multilane traffic, not so much. You should expect it not to handle most things, and be surprised when it does.

Not trying to bash FSD - I love trying it out - but here in the greater Los Angeles area, I usually can't go more than a minute or two without disengaging. Biggest reason: lane confusion. It gets in the wrong lane for a turn, makes a turn and choses the wrong target lane to turn into, gets in turn-only lanes when it needs to go straight and vice versa, sits at a light in the left lane with the right turn-signal on, etc. Single-lane neighborhood driving - it can do that all day.
Went and ran one errands today and used the FSD Beta for the first few times. There were multiple times on well marked, multi-lane roads where the system put me in the wrong lane (right turn lane instead of left turn lane) then swerved me back into the regular lane to continue straight at the last second (I was supposed to turn left). Did this 3 times that I can remember. I expected there to be some ”interesting” situations but I didn’t expect it to put me in what was obviously the wrong lane per the GPS directions…very odd. I also agree that it tends to drive too fast through he neighborhood but that was easily fixed by manually adjusting the speed along the way. I did find my self using the blinker to get into the correct lane just to avoid the car doing it last second. With all that said, it did fine 90% of the time and was about what I expected, maybe a tad less but not much. I understand that it’s a work in progress but I’m guessing that a broader release is way down the road based how my car behaved today. Just have to stay aware and be ready to take over at any time.

Reactions: xalthe and Ben W
Yeah on my drive home from work today the only intervention I made was because it had me in a lane that I knew was going to be a forced turn lane in 1/4 mile, so I used the turn signal to get the car in the correct lane so it wouldn’t be an urgency later.

On the other hand, it handled a single-lane roundabout like a champ.

I’m sure that soon I will stop being astounded by it and just focus on the faults and mistakes, but for now I am enjoying the novelty and the much increased on-screen visualization compared to non-Beta.

Reactions: xalthe
No love here 😞😔😖 safety score of 100, 224 rolling miles. Purchased MYLR 12/28/21, opted in then. Wife’s primary car.

Maintained 99-100, over 2000+ miles. She was losing hope and sanity and opted out 5/20/22, then I opted back in the next day. Since then score of 100, no update. Really upset we opted out as it likely pushed us to the back of the queue, it’s my only explanation as to why we were left out.

So frustrating!

Reactions: TechVP
No love here 😞😔😖 safety score of 100, 224 rolling miles. Purchased MYLR 12/28/21, opted in then. Wife’s primary car.

Maintained 99-100, over 2000+ miles. She was losing hope and sanity and opted out 5/20/22, then I opted back in the next day. Since then score of 100, no update. Really upset we opted out as it likely pushed us to the back of the queue, it’s my only explanation as to why we were left out.

So frustrating!
I would be more confused by the ”loosing sanity and hope so opted out” only to opt back in the next day?? Lol

I would be more confused by the ”loosing sanity and hope so opted out” only to opt back in the next day?? Lol
Long story but only those who have been on Safety Score for 6 months really know what I’m talking about. We opted in 12/28/21.

Every drive is a crap shoot if possible false FCWs and hard braking for the randomness of SoCal driving. Maintaining 99-100 is not easy. I also had SS on my other model 3 back in Sept-Oct and got into the beta with that car on 10.3.

Making a drive to LA on unknown roads was the reason for opting out - also based on one prior opt out in Jan our SS was retained so we fully didn’t expect the SS to reset when we did it again in May. Right around that time news of possible employees getting 10.12 made me opt back in with the expectation of another roll out.

If you know, you know

Long story but only those who have been on Safety Score for 6 months really know what I’m talking about. We opted in 12/28/21.

Every drive is a crap shoot if possible false FCWs and hard braking for the randomness of SoCal driving. Maintaining 99-100 is not easy. I also had SS on my other model 3 back in Sept-Oct and got into the beta with that car on 10.3.

Making a drive to LA on unknown roads was the reason for opting out - also based on one prior opt out in Jan our SS was retained so we fully didn’t expect the SS to reset when we did it again in May. Right around that time news of possible employees getting 10.12 made me opt back in with the expectation of another roll out.

If you know, you know
What really frustrates me is we have two cars, 96 and 98 scores, neither opted out at any point, yet neither got the update. Seems like it may have been due to the 100 miles on AP requirement that I did not know about until I started digging through these forums trying to determine why I did not get it. Really bad PR on the part of Tesla.

Still not clear to me if that is 100 miles in a week or 100 miles in 30 days. If the later then at least one of our cars should have gotten the update.

Furthermore, if 100 miles is a requirement why is it not displayed in the App? How are you supposed to know how many miles you drove on AP?

Are you still on factory build? If yes, you may not get it until your factory build is integrated into mainline. Factory build would be a version 2022.11.101.x or 2022.11.102. New cars are typically stuck there for about a month.
It me. 2022 MYLR, took delivery 4/29. ~700mi with 99% score, currently on 2022.11.101. No beta yet.

Went and ran one errands today and used the FSD Beta for the first few times. There were multiple times on well marked, multi-lane roads where the system put me in the wrong lane (right turn lane instead of left turn lane) then swerved me back into the regular lane to continue straight at the last second (I was supposed to turn left). Did this 3 times that I can remember.
Very similar experience here. 15-mile drive today in 2017 M3, two interventions, both times because the car failed to get into a necessary right-turn lane and tried to make the right turn from the middle lane. It's sort of baffling that this issue hasn't been solved yet, seems like it should be very low-hanging fruit. (And it's been consistently broken this way since 10.3.)

Reactions: doozenberg
It me. 2022 MYLR, took delivery 4/29. ~700mi with 99% score, currently on 2022.11.101. No beta yet.
I hope you get a mainline build soon! I was very frustrated waiting on the factory build. Especially since my USB drive did not work correctly and would be fixed by mainline build, which it was. I also at the time realized I would not get FSD Beta, although at the time I had no idea it would still be 2 more months before more people got added. Worst of all, I still did not get added because I never knew about the 100 miles on AP requirement. Now I am pissed!

Reactions: Ben W
Are you still on factory build? If yes, you may not get it until your factory build is integrated into mainline. Factory build would be a version 2022.11.101.x or 2022.11.102. New cars are typically stuck there for about a month.
That would explain why our new X with 250 miles in 12 days didn’t get it. We are still on 2022.11.101. Wonder if I can message service and get them to push an update.

I’m not sure what the 100 miles of AP driving requirement means. Is it just driving down highway and letting the car hold my distance and lane or does it mean navigating on autopilot.
Here is the source of the info:

100 miles on autosteer. I would assume that means where the car steers is a minimum requirement. I don't think it means you also need NOA.

What really frustrates me is we have two cars, 96 and 98 scores, neither opted out at any point, yet neither got the update. Seems like it may have been due to the 100 miles on AP requirement that I did not know about until I started digging through these forums trying to determine why I did not get it. Really bad PR on the part of Tesla.

Still not clear to me if that is 100 miles in a week or 100 miles in 30 days. If the later then at least one of our cars should have gotten the update.

Furthermore, if 100 miles is a requirement why is it not displayed in the App? How are you supposed to know how many miles you drove on AP?
It’s precisely this lack of transparency that is especially maddening about FSD beta (Tesla has no PR dept, it’s basically just Elon on twitter, which if purchased can be considered Tesla’s PR budget). Many things are guesses and trying to interpret vague and historically imprecise tweets.

It’s precisely this lack of transparency that is especially maddening about FSD beta (Tesla has no PR dept, it’s basically just Elon on twitter, which if purchased can be considered Tesla’s PR budget). Many things are guesses and trying to interpret vague and historically imprecise tweets.
Update, after driving 175 miles today, and tweeting Elon, I just got the update notification a few minutes ago!! Not sure which of the two was key, but I am happy :)

Now I’m more confused then ever. Do people in EAP get FSDBeta?
No, they are different programs. The Easy Access program is basically a "pre-production" set of testers for all normal software releases that get those releases a little early so any issues can be caught before a general release. That is distinct from FSDbeta, which (despite the name) is an ongoing test/refinement program for a special feature (FSD). I doubt if anyone is in both programs since the two software stacks are on distinct release cycles.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert