Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta expansion to new beta testers June 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the update to FSD beta on Saturday with a 96 safety score. I had been maintaining 99 or 100 for months and recently slipped to 96. I was thinking about getting out and back in to reset my score and was pleasantly surprised when the notification appeared. This is my first beta release.

After 4 drives it seems to be doing a fairly good job of driving. But now that I am "trained" to follow further behind other cars, it's clear that beta is following too closely! In AP, I have the follow distance set to 7 car lengths, but FSD beta is following around 3 or 4 at 55 mph, even though it is still set to 7. Lowering and raising the setting back to 7 didn't help.

Enrolled in the beta queue in late April and have managed to bounce between 98-99 for my safety score over probably around 1,000 miles (including just about every kind of driving, from road trips to downtown and all over northern GA). Was extremely surprised on Saturday evening to see the 2022.12.3.20 update available. Took my first FSD Beta test drive right away later that night with the GF riding along and have tested about 4 routes since then.

Overall, it's pretty much exactly what I expected – just as imperfect, but just as cool as I imagined it'd be. Quite a few instances of having to take over, but I'm very impressed with what Tesla has achieved so far, and it's interesting to finally see firsthand how this thing works. One thing I wasn't fully expecting is how fast it tends to take turns. 😅

Looking forward to testing it out more and hopefully contributing; I think there are some particular problematic spots on some of my routes that may serve as useful examples of more general areas needing improvement. Not sure how the feedback process works, so I'll have to look into it...

Hard to tell if you are kidding or this is snark but if true I am happy for you! So you really do think just 100 miles on AP/autosteer activated your invite?
For me personally, I like to think hitting the 100 miles of AP/autosteer was the key. I had 3,900+ miles of 99+ SS, but had recently been focusing on using highway FSD as much as possible.

I was part of the folks that received it early on Saturday, 6/4.

I got the update to FSD beta on Saturday with a 96 safety score. I had been maintaining 99 or 100 for months and recently slipped to 96. I was thinking about getting out and back in to reset my score and was pleasantly surprised when the notification appeared. This is my first beta release.

After 4 drives it seems to be doing a fairly good job of driving. But now that I am "trained" to follow further behind other cars, it's clear that beta is following too closely! In AP, I have the follow distance set to 7 car lengths, but FSD beta is following around 3 or 4 at 55 mph, even though it is still set to 7. Lowering and raising the setting back to 7 didn't help.
How does the notification appear? In email? Or on Tesla app?

Wow! Hope
Just downloaded FSD Beta. Purchased car in April maintained SS of 100 for a month and then opted out. Enrolled back in on Thursday and safety score was back to 0. Drove 200 miles safely score back to 99. Accepted into FSD this morning.
Wow! Congratulations 🍾 Really good info here. So maybe I don’t have enough miles on AP despite perfect score with 224 rolling miles since 5/21

Attachments

• 1AEBC472-9FBD-4249-AA64-D51F5FA323EC.png
    1AEBC472-9FBD-4249-AA64-D51F5FA323EC.png
    328 KB · Views: 979
How does the notification appear? In email? Or on Tesla app?
Back in Oct last year on FSD 10.3 we got an email from FSD team for my model 3, in addition to a push notification on app that new software update was available (as is the case w all non-FSD updates as well) - not sure what new testers got for this most recent wave of invites. Subsequent FSD updates just get app notification. I’m still waiting in the wings for our second car, MYLR from 12/28/21 w perfect 100. Long time coming and just galls me that so many are jumping head despite my early acquire date and perfect score.

This is exactly my experience as well. Over the 5 years of ownership I have experienced builds where they modify what max following distance. And apparently this is the case again. The release build settled on a nice distance... and now that's out the window and it is operating where the prior "4-5" was. Wish they would go back to the release build distance for 7 lengths.

Congrats for keeping your score... we all deserve a medal... its not without much care and effort to obtain and hold a 100.

For me the worst issue I kept having -- on dark evening roads I have had each of the following run into my driving path at 55mph and had to quickly swerve and brake -- always dinging my safety score: mountain lion, bear, wolf, deer and one really scary encounter with an elk that insisted he cross the full length of road in front of my approaching X. That would have put me in the shop for certain. Fortunately I did brake ----- sloooowly in time. But bad on a person's health, for sure.
-TechVP

Hard to tell if you are kidding or this is snark but if true I am happy for you! So you really do think just 100 miles on AP/autosteer activated your invite?
I am about 99% sure it was the AP requirement. My 2022 (98 score) only had 275 total miles in the last 30 days, mostly city driving with no AP, so I am confident it did not meet the requirements. Then after driving around 174 miles yesterday, mostly on AP. I got the notification later that night. About 15 minutes after Tweeting Elon (so I think that part is unlikely :)).

Our 2018 (96 score) did not get the update either. My wife mostly drives it and is not sure if she had 100 miles on AP in last month, so likely that is the same reason it did not get it. We plan to put on some AP miles during the week to see if it get an update later this week.

I would be helpful if the app showed AP miles if that is a requirement.

Is there a method to see how many AP miles you’ve driven? I feel like I have driven over 100 by now. I’ve seen others say they drove over 100 AP miles after this rollout began, and they didn’t get in so at this point we’re all left guessing. Congrats to those who did get in.
To my understanding there is no way to see your miles driven exclusively on AP. Closest tool is teslascope safety score page that gives you a more detailed breakdown of scores and number of miles driven in last 30 days w SS and miles needed to get to a 100 score. But not specifically AP miles. I’ve asked so we shall see. Agree it is mighty frustrating to blindly be hitting a moving target. This is similar to playing a rigged game at the county fair where you pay upfront and walk away with nothing to show for it much of the time, except orders of magnitude more $

Reactions: JimS and Mark II
I feel you there doozenberg. I opted in on 1/5/22 and have never dropped below 100 with over 4k miles.. Doesn’t make sense. I keep saying at the end of the month if I don’t get it I’m done.... Been saying that for over 3 months now… Heavy sigh…
Thank you for commiserating w me 🙏 Sometimes just gotta know you’re not alone in this mad circus 🎪🤡 we’ve all signed up for. Best advice I can give to anyone is don’t opt out and just keep driving >100 miles on *AP* not just total miles. First world problems for sure but still maddening. Some folks on their superior FSD beta high horses just lack sympathy and point fingers at you instead for being an idiot and that Tesla/Elon can do no wrong *cough@Yelobird* 🙄

Yep, received the FSD beta over the weekend. I believe my safety score was around 96 as well.

I've used FSD a few times now, and I have to say -- it's scary. The yoke on my MS jerks around and makes me nervous. I tried the "chill" mode and didn't seem to change any characteristic of FSD. I love beta testing software, for the good of everyone reaping the benefits, but I almost don't want to use it at all to not risk a $100k+ car.

Anyone else feel the same?

Reactions: KArnold and Mark II
Yep, received the FSD beta over the weekend. I believe my safety score was around 96 as well.

I've used FSD a few times now, and I have to say -- it's scary. The yoke on my MS jerks around and makes me nervous. I tried the "chill" mode and didn't seem to change any characteristic of FSD. I love beta testing software, for the good of everyone reaping the benefits, but I almost don't want to use it at all to not risk a $100k+ car.

Like a lot of new things, kind of takes time and a lot of baby sitting to get used to where it is weaker and where it is more reliable. But definitely an unnerving experience having a computer drive lacking direct firsthand experience of its limitations. Over time you’ll have a sense of where those limits are and where you’ll need to intervene. Not a relaxing experience esp at first and an acquired taste/skill. Pretend you are driving an instructor car w a newly permitted 15 year old and testing will take on a new meaning in terms of vigilance and skill required. Not for faint of heart. Chuck cook has a good intro video on this:

Reactions: mcvaughan

I think it will take a while for us newbies to get used to FSD-Beta and get a feel for what is it going to do well and what it will do poorly. If you are nervous, let it drive in some easy scenarios for a while (straight street, only right turns, no city driving) until you get more comfortable.

Or, you could just test it at each update to see how it is doing. Glad you finally got it! Definitely "butt clinching" as one experienced beta tester mentioned in another post.

Like a lot of new things, kind of takes time and a lot of baby sitting to get used to where it is weaker and where it is more reliable. But definitely an unnerving experience having a computer drive lacking direct firsthand experience of its limitations. Over time you’ll have a sense of where those limits are and where you’ll need to intervene. Not a relaxing experience esp at first and an acquired taste/skill. Pretend you are driving an instructor car w a newly permitted 15 year old and testing will take on a new meaning in terms of vigilance and skill required. Not for faint of heart. Chuck cook has a good intro video on this:

Thx will check out the video.