Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta expansion to new beta testers June 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the FSD Beta on the night of June 6th; 2018 M3 LR RWD. Safety score of.. 93.

I’m in Central NJ, one of the most congested places to drive in the US. Local roads with and without lights, interstates, four lane highways, you name it. And dedicated zanies out there who’ll trigger FCW on a drop of a hat.

Had been struggling to keep the score up above 97. Which involved some dangerous driving: trying not to hit the brakes hard when red lights appeared, real problems getting the car to merge on heavy traffic on-ramps, etc.. Finally, after one day when on the verge of getting to 98, some maniacs zoomed around, passed me, and then ducked in front, setting off the FCW, twice, and dropping the daily down to the 60s.

That was it. Disabled the FSD request and spent the next few days gloriously (and safely) Just Driving The Car. Finally, could turn right from a minor street onto a heavy trafficked four laner, zipping in (safely) when a gap opened up, and not getting dinged for, “aggressive turning”. Not getting a score hit on an interstate when the car on the front left is shifting right while I’m shifting left for “following too close”. My blood pressure dropped significantly. As did the chances of getting myself or someone else into an accident.

And then Elon made his plea at the last earnings call for people to, ‘please enroll in the Beta’. I have a feeling that a lot of people were dropping out at the time.

So, deep breath. Told myself: no tracking of the score. Just Drive Normally. Safety Uber Alls, but drive like it’s fun. Ignore the idiot FCWs. Use autopilot when it makes sense, but not otherwise.

Scores, when I checked them, which wasn’t often, were in the low 90s. Heck, the day before the download showed, there was an 85. FCW when I was already slowing down.

Running around with the Beta has been a bit of an eye opener. It does mainly OK, but almost the first thing the car did was a left turn when it should have gone right, followed by a high speed dive into a cul-de-sac. Later this week it tried to smash into the end of a construction Jersey Barrier. So, definitely, so far, a bit of a white knuckle experience. So, we’ll see.

But I suspect that Tesla is expanding the Beta program into places where the environment is more challenging. Ha. Wonder how well it works in NYC?

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and VeeKay
Just got it an hour ago.
99 score.
3 days of driving

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-074724_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-074724_Chrome.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 122
Got the FSD Beta on the night of June 6th; 2018 M3 LR RWD. Safety score of.. 93.

I’m in Central NJ, one of the most congested places to drive in the US. Local roads with and without lights, interstates, four lane highways, you name it. And dedicated zanies out there who’ll trigger FCW on a drop of a hat.

Had been struggling to keep the score up above 97. Which involved some dangerous driving: trying not to hit the brakes hard when red lights appeared, real problems getting the car to merge on heavy traffic on-ramps, etc.. Finally, after one day when on the verge of getting to 98, some maniacs zoomed around, passed me, and then ducked in front, setting off the FCW, twice, and dropping the daily down to the 60s.

That was it. Disabled the FSD request and spent the next few days gloriously (and safely) Just Driving The Car. Finally, could turn right from a minor street onto a heavy trafficked four laner, zipping in (safely) when a gap opened up, and not getting dinged for, “aggressive turning”. Not getting a score hit on an interstate when the car on the front left is shifting right while I’m shifting left for “following too close”. My blood pressure dropped significantly. As did the chances of getting myself or someone else into an accident.

And then Elon made his plea at the last earnings call for people to, ‘please enroll in the Beta’. I have a feeling that a lot of people were dropping out at the time.

So, deep breath. Told myself: no tracking of the score. Just Drive Normally. Safety Uber Alls, but drive like it’s fun. Ignore the idiot FCWs. Use autopilot when it makes sense, but not otherwise.

Scores, when I checked them, which wasn’t often, were in the low 90s. Heck, the day before the download showed, there was an 85. FCW when I was already slowing down.

Running around with the Beta has been a bit of an eye opener. It does mainly OK, but almost the first thing the car did was a left turn when it should have gone right, followed by a high speed dive into a cul-de-sac. Later this week it tried to smash into the end of a construction Jersey Barrier. So, definitely, so far, a bit of a white knuckle experience. So, we’ll see.

But I suspect that Tesla is expanding the Beta program into places where the environment is more challenging. Ha. Wonder how well it works in NYC?
I can feel your pain of maintaining safety score in NJ. Hope you enjoy freedom from safety score if not FSD.

Last edited:
Honestly it’s pretty annoying that Tesla is doing this. I keep seeing new owners with FSD beta, when some of us have been waiting since they opened it up last year. Wish I knew what was going on…
I feel you pain. I waited a year for my car and constantly had people who ordered later than me get their cars. Maybe this is makeup for the year I had to wait to get the car.

Subscribed FSD June 7th.
Traveled 180 miles June 8th, scored 97%.
Got FSD Beta June 12th.

FWIW, was prior FSD Beta tester on my 2020 MYP sold last March. FSD Beta tester on 2018 Model 3, sold last year.

Opted out of FSD on replacement 2022 Model Y and Model 3. I figure I just subscribe FSD as needed.

Has anybody on the latest software (2022.16) received FSD Beta? I'm curious if they will 'downgrade' your software back to 2022.12. I'm assuming so, I just haven't seen anyone confirm that.
Teslafi doesn't show anyone downgrading to the FSD Beta from 2022.16, so it hasn't happened yet. I would be surprised if they downgraded you to get to the beta, but what do I know?

Reactions: tlord82
I have been at 98-99 safety score for several months, waiting to get the beta. But yesterday I went to check the score on my Tesla app, and it no longer shows the safety score at all as an item on my app! It is like I got removed from the beta request queue! Has anyone else experienced this?

Has anybody on the latest software (2022.16) received FSD Beta? I'm curious if they will 'downgrade' your software back to 2022.12. I'm assuming so, I just haven't seen anyone confirm that.
I guess I would not call it a downgrade. Back in November I got moved from a higher version number back to a lower version number that was FSD. I don't think that necessarily means it can still happen, but maybe a possibility.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom and tlord82