Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Experience - Be Careful What You Wish For

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the FSD Beta since last Christmas. I'm reading many posts from people frustrated they are not on the Beta yet, and others who are on the Beta and complaining about it.

So, I want to give everyone my experiences with FSD Beta, try to make everyone understand what's involved in it, and hopefully dissuade several of you from trying to get into the Beta.

00EE7D8B-DFD2-4E41-B7F2-2D6BCB4E7B10.jpeg

It's a Commitment
----------------------------------
I think many people are excited by the notion of FSD Beta, and watching YouTube videos or Twitter videos of people in FSD Beta thinking it will be easy and smooth. Let me assure you that it's a commitment to be in FSD Beta. It's not easy, and it's not smooth. You are committing to use a system that is far from perfect and agreeing to help improve the system by putting the car through various routes, and reporting problems as they occur. You're not going to be using your car as you did before. If you're not willing to use FSD Beta as much as possible, and thinking you'll only use casually, then I'd suggest it's not for you. Tesla needs data to improve the system. The more data, the faster the system develops. And we, the FSD Beta participants, want the end result in our lifetimes. :) Think of it as an unpaid internship.

It's Stressful
I read many posts on TMC from people who are stressed over the Safety Score before even getting invited into FSD Beta. They worry about pissing off cars around them as they "drive like grandma" to keep a high score. Once you're in the FSD Beta, your stress level will go up even higher. Now, your car may perform odd maneuvers, suddenly brake, swerve left or right just before a turn, become paralyzed at unprotected turns, turn in a very unnatural or unsmooth way (ie: jerky), etc. You will likely get flashed with high-beams and honked at. Personally, I get those at least twice a week. Occasionally a middle-finger is extended when someone aggressively goes around you and cuts you off. I've even been coal-rolled. You need to have a calm demeanor and understand that you will be pissing people off. I have custom bumper stickers warning people behind me to help ease some of the stress I'm causing them, or at least letting them know they should stay back or go around me.

It's Mentally and Physically Draining
Gone are the times when your brain goes into autopilot when you're driving, listening to music, or talking on the phone. Instead, you're hyper focused on the drive. I tell my friends that 80-90% of the time FSD Beta drives very well. 10-20% of the time it tries to kill me. :) Because of that, you cannot let your guard down for a moment. Many testers have their foot hovering or ready to engage, as the car could suddenly slow down in the middle of a turn, or approaching a flashing yellow caution sign. It might mistake an angled traffic light that's not meant for your lane and suddenly attempt to run a red light. It could make a sudden lane change, or try to make a turn from the wrong lane. I've had it try to go straight through an intersection while in a right turn-only lane.

Constant Engagement and Disengagement - And Reporting
You will be engaging the system and disengaging it constantly. Is it getting too close to that parked car? Coming too fast at a speed bump? Did it become paralyzed at a 4-way stop where pedestrians are crossing? Is it in the wrong lane for the exit you need to take, and going to miss it? In many cases you will need to disengage FSD, perform a maneuver yourself and then re-engage FSD - and report it to Tesla. It's also important that you report everything to Tesla so they can improve the system. That can be difficult, if your car just freaked out and you had to disengage FSD and take over instantly to avoid something bad from happening. Your first reaction isn't usually to find and press a little camera button to report it - but you have to get into that habit.

Passengers
I do most of my FSD Beta driving alone, as the system can really freak out passengers - and in many cases cause motion sickness in those susceptible to it. I've read many posts from people who say their BF/GF or spouse simply will not let them use FSD Beta while they are in the car.

Final Thoughts
Some people might read the above and think, "I just won't use FSD Beta that much." If you're thinking you'll use FSD Beta a little, perhaps setting aside time to do a small trip with it from time to time, but otherwise driving the car yourself, then I think FSD Beta is not for you. You're committing to help Tesla improve a system, and with limited Beta participants (currently ~60K), your casual attitude towards the program could be negatively affecting it. There may be someone like me who is ready to totally commit to it, but cannot get into the program because someone else took a spot who really doesn't care that much. Also, if you've read all this and thought "Tesla should be paying me to do all this!", then the FSD Beta is not for you.

So be careful what you wish for... FSD Beta is not all fun and games.

Last edited by a moderator:
10.11 went out to about 250 people a few weeks ago but then nothing since. The current thought (i.e. most popular rumor) is that there was likely a bug in it and they’ve halted it, planning on widely releasing 10.12 sometime in the next month.
10.11 went out to far more than 250 people. Teslafi numbers are a small minority of the total Tesla population.

I fully agree objectively with what you say. FSD Beta does all that stuff; however, I don't find it particularly stressful, but one does have to be very vigilant. And of course, most of my driving is on rural highways where the car works slightly better on tight curves than Autopilot does.
Yeah, use it in a city with more traffic and more difficult roads and it definitely becomes more stressful!

Reactions: Dewg
I've been in the FSD Beta since last Christmas. I'm reading many posts from people frustrated they are not on the Beta yet, and others who are on the Beta and complaining about it.

So, I want to give everyone my experiences with FSD Beta, try to make everyone understand what's involved in it, and hopefully dissuade several of you from trying to get into the Beta.

View attachment 773827

It's a Commitment
I think many people are excited by the notion of FSD Beta, and watching YouTube videos or Twitter videos of people in FSD Beta thinking it will be easy and smooth. Let me assure you that it's a commitment to be in FSD Beta. It's not easy, and it's not smooth. You are committing to use a system that is far from perfect and agreeing to help improve the system by putting the car through various routes, and reporting problems as they occur. You're not going to be using your car as you did before. If you're not willing to use FSD Beta as much as possible, and thinking you'll only use casually, then I'd suggest it's not for you. Tesla needs data to improve the system. The more data, the faster the system develops. And we, the FSD Beta participants, want the end result in our lifetimes. :) Think of it as an unpaid internship.

It's Stressful
I read many posts on TMC from people who are stressed over the Safety Score before even getting invited into FSD Beta. They worry about pissing off cars around them as they "drive like grandma" to keep a high score. Once you're in the FSD Beta, your stress level will go up even higher. Now, your car may perform odd maneuvers, suddenly brake, swerve left or right just before a turn, become paralyzed at unprotected turns, turn in a very unnatural or unsmooth way (ie: jerky), etc. You will likely get flashed with high-beams and honked at. Personally, I get those at least twice a week. Occasionally a middle-finger is extended when someone aggressively goes around you and cuts you off. I've even been coal-rolled. You need to have a calm demeanor and understand that you will be pissing people off. I have custom bumper stickers warning people behind me to help ease some of the stress I'm causing them, or at least letting them know they should stay back or go around me.

Gone are the times when your brain goes into autopilot when you're driving, listening to music, or talking on the phone. Instead, you're hyper focused on the drive. I tell my friends that 80-90% of the time FSD Beta drives very well. 10-20% of the time it tries to kill me. :) Because of that, you cannot let your guard down for a moment. Many testers have their foot hovering or ready to engage, as the car could suddenly slow down in the middle of a turn, or approaching a flashing yellow caution sign. It might mistake an angled traffic light that's not meant for your lane and suddenly attempt to run a red light. It could make a sudden lane change, or try to make a turn from the wrong lane. I've had it try to go straight through an intersection while in a right turn-only lane.

You will be engaging the system and disengaging it constantly. Is it getting too close to that parked car? Coming too fast at a speed bump? Did it become paralyzed at a 4-way stop where pedestrians are crossing? Is it in the wrong lane for the exit you need to take, and going to miss it? In many cases you will need to disengage FSD, perform a maneuver yourself and then re-engage FSD - and report it to Tesla. It's also important that you report everything to Tesla so they can improve the system. That can be difficult, if your car just freaked out and you had to disengage FSD and take over instantly to avoid something bad from happening. Your first reaction isn't usually to find and press a little camera button to report it - but you have to get into that habit.

Passengers
I do most of my FSD Beta driving alone, as the system can really freak out passengers - and in many cases cause motion sickness in those susceptible to it. I've read many posts from people who say their BF/GF or spouse simply will not let them use FSD Beta while they are in the car.

Final Thoughts
Some people might read the above and think, "I just won't use FSD Beta that much." If you're thinking you'll use FSD Beta a little, perhaps setting aside time to do a small trip with it from time to time, but otherwise driving the car yourself, then I think FSD Beta is not for you. You're committing to help Tesla improve a system, and with limited Beta participants (currently ~60K), your casual attitude towards the program could be negatively affecting it. There may be someone like me who is ready to totally commit to it, but cannot get into the program because someone else took a spot who really doesn't care that much. Also, if you've read all this and thought "Tesla should be paying me to do all this!", then the FSD Beta is not for you.

Excellent summary. I just got the camera retrofit for my 2017 Model X and am ready for the commitment!

Reactions: Dewg
good use of FSD FULL =,
-On a sunday,
-at night after you r tired pulling up in your neighborhood,
-with your hot girlfriend whom you can't take your hands off
-visiting a new city at night, to get you to the destination.
NO good use of FSD FULL =
ALL THE REST OF THE TIME!

DON'T BUY THESE STICKERS,,you will get pulled over by the police under suspicious of dangerous driving, ..
the code states your hands must be on the wheel at all times while you engage visually on the road, putting a sticker advertising otherwise will get you pulled over and questioned.
Im a black man, so i don't wanna give the police any reason for pulling me over.

View attachment 773827

It's a Commitment

It's Stressful

Passengers

Final Thoughts

Im sure the paid FSD customers understand what’s needed in the FSD beta program, the paid FSD customers w/good drive scores should given FSD updates -or a refund credit until they get a FSD update

I can appreciate that view. But it appears you're interested in the final product, once FSD is safe and ready to roll out to all who purchase/subscribe. I for one can't wait for that day, as it seems you are excited for as well. However, the point of the Beta is to help get us to that goal. If you're not going to use Beta, which you pointed out is for City Streets, taking different routes, putting the car into different situations and then reporting issues to Tesla for improvement in the next firmware, then why did you actively request to join and prove yourself as a safe driver to be invited into the Beta?

I want the FSD updates-I know it’s BETA- Ive been asking multiple times for months, they just say they choose random people to get the FSD updates, despite having a good drive score. Full paid FSD customers not getting FSD updates should get a refund /credit until an FSD update is given. Of course giving FSD updates to people not using it is a waste -but they are doing it

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
You’re pretty damn judgmental and “holier than thou” about all this. I’d back up a little and see that not everyone thinks like you, and Tesla doesn’t think exactly like you.
You’re pretty damn judgmental and “holier than thou” about all this. I’d back up a little and see that not everyone thinks like you, and Tesla doesn’t think exactly like you.
So what’s the reason you think
So what’s the reason you think FSD beta is good for you -but not others? Most paid FSD buyers wanting the FSD updates -knows what’s expected in the FSD program - if they aren’t given any FSD updates despite having a good drive score, they should get refunds /credit until they are given a FSD update

So what’s the reason you think

So what’s the reason you think FSD beta is good for you -but not others? Most paid FSD buyers wanting the FSD updates -knows what’s expected in the FSD program - if they aren’t given any FSD updates despite having a good drive score, they should get refunds /credit until they are given a FSD update
I drive 150-200 miles on average a day. Actually drove 450 miles today. I drove manually probably 2-3% of the entire drive. No phantom braking. Perfect auto lane changes, perfect taking of exits, switching freeways, and on/off ramps. Perfect at stop signs and stop lights. Even when I got into windy 2 lane “highways” in grass valley. Didn’t matter if a semi was coming at me. Perfect.

Santa Cruz to grass valley and back with many stops.

It’s flawless. I couldn’t imagine my car without those FSD features. Even without beta.

I don’t “think” it’s good for me. I know it is.
10AC8239-797F-4C90-AE68-E8A844322384.jpeg

I do this at least twice a week.

I want the FSD updates-I know it’s BETA- Ive been asking multiple times for months, they just say they choose random people to get the FSD updates, despite having a good drive score. Full paid FSD customers not getting FSD updates should get a refund /credit until an FSD update is given. Of course giving FSD updates to people not using it is a waste -but they are doing it
You sound like a spoiled brat... you didn’t pay for the beta. And if you DID, that’s your fault for not understanding where you’re spending your money.

Im sure the paid FSD customers understand what’s needed in the FSD beta program

They don't appear to- and your posts are evidence of it.

The beta program is limited-access testing among only a portion of eligible owners, in order to improve the software to the point it's good enough for wide release.

While your contention is it should just go out to every FSD owner even though it's nowhere near ready to.

So no, at least some paid FSD customers do not understand the beta.

, the paid FSD customers w/good drive scores should given FSD updates -or a refund credit until they get a FSD update

Except you never paid for access to pre-release software.

"access to narrow-release unfinished testing software" was not a listed feature promised to you as part of your purchase.

Testers are picked from this group:

Has FSD
Has all the current-gen HW
Has a safety score above X

That's the general pool of possible people that get it.

Then they may use further criteria-- like your location (they certainly don't need more testers in California for example, but do appear to need more in Canada)... or how much you drive... or what types of roads you tend to drive on, etc.... to decide who in that main pool DOES get it.

Only a minority of people with FSD have it, and only a minority of them will have it.

At the point it's good/safe enough for everyone with FSD to have it, it'll no longer be in narrow release and go out to everyone.

Elon says that's by end of this year. Nobody believes him, given his track record- but they've been pretty clear on the fact the beta is not for everyone with fsd

So what’s the reason you think FSD beta is good for you -but not others?

I don’t think @Paige111 was asking why you think it’s good for you, I think s/he was asking why you think others shouldn’t get it.

I get the frustration. People paid for FSD and for a long time there was a limited set of features. Then Elon says they’re finally rolling out the beta program. Just sign up and be a good driver and you’ll get in, but not everyone got in so now there’s a group of ‘insiders’ that get the long-awaited software and everyone else is locked out.

In Tesla’s defense, there are downsides to letting too many people in the beta program. When you’re developing code like this you need enough data but too much data can be a problem just like too little data, and the more people they have using the software, the higher the odds that something really bad will happen and cause a major PR or legal cluster.

It’s not a great answer to the people who are waiting, but I can understand Teslas position here.

Reactions: Dewg and nvx1977
I drive 150-200 miles on average a day. Actually drove 450 miles today. I drove manually probably 2-3% of the entire drive. No phantom braking. Perfect auto lane changes, perfect taking of exits, switching freeways, and on/off ramps. Perfect at stop signs and stop lights. Even when I got into windy 2 lane “highways” in grass valley. Didn’t matter if a semi was coming at me. Perfect.

Santa Cruz to grass valley and back with many stops.

It’s flawless. I couldn’t imagine my car without those FSD features. Even without beta.

View attachment 792661

I do this at least twice a week.
So how can you drive 8 hours without a single disengagement when I have to take over 3 times in the 25 minutes it takes me to get to work?

I see your average speed is 53 MPH. The only way to do that is to spend 95+% of your time on the highway which is the easiest and honestly something that 'plain' AP handled quite well. The issues FSD has are navigating the complexities of city driving, not highway driving. Plain AP would probably be just as useful for you.

So how can you drive 8 hours without a single disengagement when I have to take over 3 times in the 25 minutes it takes me to get to work?

I see your average speed is 53 MPH. The only way to do that is to spend 95+% of your time on the highway which is the easiest and honestly something that 'plain' AP handled quite well. The issues FSD has are navigating the complexities of city driving, not highway driving. Plain AP would probably be just as useful for you.
Raurele doesn't have FSD Beta. They're waiting as well... Plain ole AP is what they're using.

Raurele doesn't have FSD Beta. They're waiting as well... Plain ole AP is what they're using.
Ah - ok. Thought s/he was talking about FSD. In that case, AP is perfect for them. Actually it’s probably better. FSD requires you to tug on the steering wheel every 10 seconds; AP Only requires it every 30 so if you’re on a non-interstate it ends up being easier to use AP