Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Experience - Be Careful What You Wish For

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the FSD Beta since last Christmas. I'm reading many posts from people frustrated they are not on the Beta yet, and others who are on the Beta and complaining about it.

So, I want to give everyone my experiences with FSD Beta, try to make everyone understand what's involved in it, and hopefully dissuade several of you from trying to get into the Beta.

00EE7D8B-DFD2-4E41-B7F2-2D6BCB4E7B10.jpeg

It's a Commitment
----------------------------------
I think many people are excited by the notion of FSD Beta, and watching YouTube videos or Twitter videos of people in FSD Beta thinking it will be easy and smooth. Let me assure you that it's a commitment to be in FSD Beta. It's not easy, and it's not smooth. You are committing to use a system that is far from perfect and agreeing to help improve the system by putting the car through various routes, and reporting problems as they occur. You're not going to be using your car as you did before. If you're not willing to use FSD Beta as much as possible, and thinking you'll only use casually, then I'd suggest it's not for you. Tesla needs data to improve the system. The more data, the faster the system develops. And we, the FSD Beta participants, want the end result in our lifetimes. :) Think of it as an unpaid internship.

It's Stressful
I read many posts on TMC from people who are stressed over the Safety Score before even getting invited into FSD Beta. They worry about pissing off cars around them as they "drive like grandma" to keep a high score. Once you're in the FSD Beta, your stress level will go up even higher. Now, your car may perform odd maneuvers, suddenly brake, swerve left or right just before a turn, become paralyzed at unprotected turns, turn in a very unnatural or unsmooth way (ie: jerky), etc. You will likely get flashed with high-beams and honked at. Personally, I get those at least twice a week. Occasionally a middle-finger is extended when someone aggressively goes around you and cuts you off. I've even been coal-rolled. You need to have a calm demeanor and understand that you will be pissing people off. I have custom bumper stickers warning people behind me to help ease some of the stress I'm causing them, or at least letting them know they should stay back or go around me.

It's Mentally and Physically Draining
Gone are the times when your brain goes into autopilot when you're driving, listening to music, or talking on the phone. Instead, you're hyper focused on the drive. I tell my friends that 80-90% of the time FSD Beta drives very well. 10-20% of the time it tries to kill me. :) Because of that, you cannot let your guard down for a moment. Many testers have their foot hovering or ready to engage, as the car could suddenly slow down in the middle of a turn, or approaching a flashing yellow caution sign. It might mistake an angled traffic light that's not meant for your lane and suddenly attempt to run a red light. It could make a sudden lane change, or try to make a turn from the wrong lane. I've had it try to go straight through an intersection while in a right turn-only lane.

Constant Engagement and Disengagement - And Reporting
You will be engaging the system and disengaging it constantly. Is it getting too close to that parked car? Coming too fast at a speed bump? Did it become paralyzed at a 4-way stop where pedestrians are crossing? Is it in the wrong lane for the exit you need to take, and going to miss it? In many cases you will need to disengage FSD, perform a maneuver yourself and then re-engage FSD - and report it to Tesla. It's also important that you report everything to Tesla so they can improve the system. That can be difficult, if your car just freaked out and you had to disengage FSD and take over instantly to avoid something bad from happening. Your first reaction isn't usually to find and press a little camera button to report it - but you have to get into that habit.

Passengers
I do most of my FSD Beta driving alone, as the system can really freak out passengers - and in many cases cause motion sickness in those susceptible to it. I've read many posts from people who say their BF/GF or spouse simply will not let them use FSD Beta while they are in the car.

Final Thoughts
Some people might read the above and think, "I just won't use FSD Beta that much." If you're thinking you'll use FSD Beta a little, perhaps setting aside time to do a small trip with it from time to time, but otherwise driving the car yourself, then I think FSD Beta is not for you. You're committing to help Tesla improve a system, and with limited Beta participants (currently ~60K), your casual attitude towards the program could be negatively affecting it. There may be someone like me who is ready to totally commit to it, but cannot get into the program because someone else took a spot who really doesn't care that much. Also, if you've read all this and thought "Tesla should be paying me to do all this!", then the FSD Beta is not for you.

So be careful what you wish for... FSD Beta is not all fun and games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been in the FSD Beta since last Christmas. I'm reading many posts from people frustrated they are not on the Beta yet, and others who are on the Beta and complaining about it.

So, I want to give everyone my experiences with FSD Beta, try to make everyone understand what's involved in it, and hopefully dissuade several of you from trying to get into the Beta.

View attachment 773827

It's a Commitment
I think many people are excited by the notion of FSD Beta, and watching YouTube videos or Twitter videos of people in FSD Beta thinking it will be easy and smooth. Let me assure you that it's a commitment to be in FSD Beta. It's not easy, and it's not smooth. You are committing to use a system that is far from perfect and agreeing to help improve the system by putting the car through various routes, and reporting problems as they occur. You're not going to be using your car as you did before. If you're not willing to use FSD Beta as much as possible, and thinking you'll only use casually, then I'd suggest it's not for you. Tesla needs data to improve the system. The more data, the faster the system develops. And we, the FSD Beta participants, want the end result in our lifetimes. :) Think of it as an unpaid internship.

It's Stressful
I read many posts on TMC from people who are stressed over the Safety Score before even getting invited into FSD Beta. They worry about pissing off cars around them as they "drive like grandma" to keep a high score. Once you're in the FSD Beta, your stress level will go up even higher. Now, your car may perform odd maneuvers, suddenly brake, swerve left or right just before a turn, become paralyzed at unprotected turns, turn in a very unnatural or unsmooth way (ie: jerky), etc. You will likely get flashed with high-beams and honked at. Personally, I get those at least twice a week. Occasionally a middle-finger is extended when someone aggressively goes around you and cuts you off. I've even been coal-rolled. You need to have a calm demeanor and understand that you will be pissing people off. I have custom bumper stickers warning people behind me to help ease some of the stress I'm causing them, or at least letting them know they should stay back or go around me.

Gone are the times when your brain goes into autopilot when you're driving, listening to music, or talking on the phone. Instead, you're hyper focused on the drive. I tell my friends that 80-90% of the time FSD Beta drives very well. 10-20% of the time it tries to kill me. :) Because of that, you cannot let your guard down for a moment. Many testers have their foot hovering or ready to engage, as the car could suddenly slow down in the middle of a turn, or approaching a flashing yellow caution sign. It might mistake an angled traffic light that's not meant for your lane and suddenly attempt to run a red light. It could make a sudden lane change, or try to make a turn from the wrong lane. I've had it try to go straight through an intersection while in a right turn-only lane.

You will be engaging the system and disengaging it constantly. Is it getting too close to that parked car? Coming too fast at a speed bump? Did it become paralyzed at a 4-way stop where pedestrians are crossing? Is it in the wrong lane for the exit you need to take, and going to miss it? In many cases you will need to disengage FSD, perform a maneuver yourself and then re-engage FSD - and report it to Tesla. It's also important that you report everything to Tesla so they can improve the system. That can be difficult, if your car just freaked out and you had to disengage FSD and take over instantly to avoid something bad from happening. Your first reaction isn't usually to find and press a little camera button to report it - but you have to get into that habit.

Passengers
I do most of my FSD Beta driving alone, as the system can really freak out passengers - and in many cases cause motion sickness in those susceptible to it. I've read many posts from people who say their BF/GF or spouse simply will not let them use FSD Beta while they are in the car.

Final Thoughts
Some people might read the above and think, "I just won't use FSD Beta that much." If you're thinking you'll use FSD Beta a little, perhaps setting aside time to do a small trip with it from time to time, but otherwise driving the car yourself, then I think FSD Beta is not for you. You're committing to help Tesla improve a system, and with limited Beta participants (currently ~60K), your casual attitude towards the program could be negatively affecting it. There may be someone like me who is ready to totally commit to it, but cannot get into the program because someone else took a spot who really doesn't care that much. Also, if you've read all this and thought "Tesla should be paying me to do all this!", then the FSD Beta is not for you.

thank you for the write up. I was torn, had added FSD to my order, then removed at the insistence of my neighbor who had it on several cars, then wanted to add it again (FOMO), etc.
I had a loaner X that had FSD (not beta) and it frankly blew chunks. I would describe it as both terrifying, and having a student driver worse than my 2 daughters when they were learning to drive.
The FSD beta videos look ALMOST magical at times, and then look ridiculous.
I can envision FSD beta lulling me into a false sense of security.
I will say the little I used FSD 9 on my loaner, well, again, the the word terrifying comes to mind, and I found that after giving it many chances over 2 weeks, i decided I frankly didn't want to use it.
Then, if I had to pay $12k for the privilege to audition adn then hopefully get it, and then go through what you described? Yeah, beta is not for me.
If it comes out with the single stack and works as intended, i'll shell out my $200/month or whatever they will charge, faster than you can say, "take my money" - but until then, to me at least, it is a promise unfulfilled.
Thank you for your efforts to help "the next generation"
i think even if for free i wouldn't want it - and certainly not paying for it.

Reactions: sperkin and Dewg
10% to the power to 10 agree.

Most of the time, 80% of the time, FSD beta is ‘fine’.. no sudden moves, no hard braking, no sudden adjustments, no phantom braking, or stopping 10 feet from a stop sign and THEN creeping.

but 15-20% of the time, it’s worse than the worst student driver. My wife won’t even be in the car with me anymore when I’m testing it or using it other than on the highway. She’s used to smooth transitions, predictable de-celeration at stops or lights or coming up to other cars. Easy not jerky lane changes with consideration of all cars around, etc. and with FSD beta, it’s very unpredictable and often unsettling for a passenger.

Reactions: Dewg
The FSD beta videos look ALMOST magical at times, and then look ridiculous.
I can envision FSD beta lulling me into a false sense of security.
and that is the current state of FSD in Tesla specifically and in the automotive industry in general. I've been using FSD beta since December and it has progressively gotten better. It still has a ways to go but I'm at least hopeful.

The false sense of security is a big issue as automated systems progress. There's a dangerous in-between zone where the systems work well enough to cause disengagement but make enough mistakes that you need to constantly monitor. It's a well-recognized problem that no one has a good answer to.

and that is the current state of FSD in Tesla specifically and in the automotive industry in general. I've been using FSD beta since December and it has progressively gotten better. It still has a ways to go but I'm at least hopeful.

The false sense of security is a big issue as automated systems progress. There's a dangerous in-between zone where the systems work well enough to cause disengagement but make enough mistakes that you need to constantly monitor. It's a well-recognized problem that no one has a good answer to.
Which is why I pointed out constant vigilance, and high stress levels. 10% of the time it tries to kill me. I just recently had a 32 mile drive, city streets to freeway, then back to city streets at the destination. FSD Beta was flawless (only 1 PB the entire trip, and it was a minor one - about 2mph), until 1 block from the destination address, where it completely lost it, couldn't find the lane (it was a complicated lane merger, followed by very sharp lane shift to the left with a new "island" on the right, and cars had parked there where they shouldn't have been able to, given the slashed white lines). It thought the parked cars were in a lane, and couldn't see the lane shift and just slammed on the brakes and alarmed. Nearly got rear-ended, but I always have my hands pretty firmly on the wheel and was able to take control and floored it while moving to the left.

Given the flawless FSD for 30+ minutes, some people may have gotten relaxed and lulled - then BAM. I never let my guard down. :)

Reactions: drtimhill

View attachment 773827

It's a Commitment

It's Stressful

Passengers

Final Thoughts

So it sounds like you’re into the kinky stuff (aka masochism)

• Funny

View attachment 773827

It's a Commitment

It's Stressful

Passengers

Final Thoughts

I opted out long ago… at v10.3, I recall…. No regrets (other than paying $10k for FSD, that is)…

I really regret taking Tesla's offer when negotiating a EAP refund. In early 2019, they dropped the price of the Model 3, and along with the price drop, they also gave free Autopilot. I paid $10k on the 2 Model 3s so I petitioned for a refund and free Autopilot. Tesla instead counter offered with FUSC and FSD. I would rather have $10k and free Autopilot. That $10k could have joined my federal credits and rebates in Tesla stocks. Would have been nice to get that $10k additional bump at $200/share pre-split.

FOMO got me and I lost some money. Don't lose your $12k. Invest it.

I can appreciate that view. But it appears you're interested in the final product, once FSD is safe and ready to roll out to all who purchase/subscribe. I for one can't wait for that day, as it seems you are excited for as well. However, the point of the Beta is to help get us to that goal. If you're not going to use Beta, which you pointed out is for City Streets, taking different routes, putting the car into different situations and then reporting issues to Tesla for improvement in the next firmware, then why did you actively request to join and prove yourself as a safe driver to be invited into the Beta?
I want to see the progress. I was curious. I said I just assume shut it off if I knew I could get back on easily. I wanted to see if it’s worth buying again on my upcoming order. Many believe the reports do nothing.

Curious who made you the rule maker and designated expert on how folks wish to use it or not?

Nav on Auto Pilot hasn’t improved in years. Phantom braking did improve (FSD beta or not) but it seems to have plateaued for quite some time now. Even Summon sucks. So why use these if they aren’t improving, from use? It doesn’t even park that great.

I have every right to just monitor it as I have. When (and if) it feels safer and less stressful to use, I will. Everyone’s threshold is different and there is nothing wrong with that. If Tesla wants to kick me off from lack of use, let them.

Good post that mirrors my thoughts. I received the Beta in the 2nd wave in October. It aligns perfectly with my autobiography: "How to Make Your Life Difficult in 10 Easy Steps."

I do post videos of my drives (Search Edward Pennington Calderhead on Youtube), which right now only happen on weekends due to WFH. Mostly it's a way to do learn video editing and do something fun in the bleak winter months. But I found I often go back and watch the videos to see what the screen was showing during some incidents or what the traffic patterns were. Sometimes I've attributed to the car things it did incorrectly, but in fact it might have been my error or something else. It's like being able to watch a game film.

I also have have Tesla Insurance so I have the added fun of being tracked again, but this time money is on the line. I will say the experience of getting a 100 safety score and driving Beta has made me a better, more careful driver.

At this stage it requires a specific kind of person that's willing to be a Beta tester and endure the challenges it poses. I think that was the sneaky (and brilliant) purpose of the Safety Score, to find those people.
I agree. It takes a person who likes detail, can track patterns and has a fast reaction time. Kinda hyper but cool in crisis. I have become a better driver. I am totally bonded with the Cybercherry in standard mode. I am less stressed out in beta-FSD than I was two months ago, but I do wish the car could learn my human driving skills as fast as I am learning the machine ones. I am retired and I worried about my brain not being stimulated like when I was a scientist, but hey the car is more than enough of that. Love my Y.

Cant wait til fsd works well
It’s coming - I drove from downtown Minneapolis to my home in the suburbs earlier this week (about 15 miles) using FSD. THe car made the entire trip until a quarter mile from our house when it veered into a turn lane instead of going straight and got confused. (really? You make it the entire way and then get confused by a turn lane???) I was also able to drive the entire way home from work (about 25 min on suburban roads) yesterday with no interventions.

Not surprisingly, intersections and dealing with traffic when making turns is still rough but it‘s definitely improving.

Reactions: Dewg and whatthe2
It’s coming - I drove from downtown Minneapolis to my home in the suburbs earlier this week (about 15 miles) using FSD. THe car made the entire trip until a quarter mile from our house when it veered into a turn lane instead of going straight and got confused. (really? You make it the entire way and then get confused by a turn lane???) I was also able to drive the entire way home from work (about 25 min on suburban roads) yesterday with no interventions.

Not surprisingly, intersections and dealing with traffic when making turns is still rough but it‘s definitely improving.
Turn lanes have been a problem for many testers with 10.10.2
What you've described has happened to me many times and it's difficult to figure out why.

Aside from the fact it constantly puts the main beams on even when traffic is coming in the other direction. AP never did that before FSD beta.
I don't experience this, though I see many people complain. Do you have videos / links to videos of this ... I want to see what people are talking about ?
I assume you mean the High beams? I've noticed that FSD activates the auto high beam function whenever you engage it and won't let you disable it. I assume this is to maximize the visibility. I don't recall offhand if it does so for cruise control, too, or just FSD/AP.