Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Experience - Be Careful What You Wish For

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the FSD Beta since last Christmas. I'm reading many posts from people frustrated they are not on the Beta yet, and others who are on the Beta and complaining about it.

So, I want to give everyone my experiences with FSD Beta, try to make everyone understand what's involved in it, and hopefully dissuade several of you from trying to get into the Beta.

00EE7D8B-DFD2-4E41-B7F2-2D6BCB4E7B10.jpeg

It's a Commitment
----------------------------------
I think many people are excited by the notion of FSD Beta, and watching YouTube videos or Twitter videos of people in FSD Beta thinking it will be easy and smooth. Let me assure you that it's a commitment to be in FSD Beta. It's not easy, and it's not smooth. You are committing to use a system that is far from perfect and agreeing to help improve the system by putting the car through various routes, and reporting problems as they occur. You're not going to be using your car as you did before. If you're not willing to use FSD Beta as much as possible, and thinking you'll only use casually, then I'd suggest it's not for you. Tesla needs data to improve the system. The more data, the faster the system develops. And we, the FSD Beta participants, want the end result in our lifetimes. :) Think of it as an unpaid internship.

It's Stressful
I read many posts on TMC from people who are stressed over the Safety Score before even getting invited into FSD Beta. They worry about pissing off cars around them as they "drive like grandma" to keep a high score. Once you're in the FSD Beta, your stress level will go up even higher. Now, your car may perform odd maneuvers, suddenly brake, swerve left or right just before a turn, become paralyzed at unprotected turns, turn in a very unnatural or unsmooth way (ie: jerky), etc. You will likely get flashed with high-beams and honked at. Personally, I get those at least twice a week. Occasionally a middle-finger is extended when someone aggressively goes around you and cuts you off. I've even been coal-rolled. You need to have a calm demeanor and understand that you will be pissing people off. I have custom bumper stickers warning people behind me to help ease some of the stress I'm causing them, or at least letting them know they should stay back or go around me.

It's Mentally and Physically Draining
Gone are the times when your brain goes into autopilot when you're driving, listening to music, or talking on the phone. Instead, you're hyper focused on the drive. I tell my friends that 80-90% of the time FSD Beta drives very well. 10-20% of the time it tries to kill me. :) Because of that, you cannot let your guard down for a moment. Many testers have their foot hovering or ready to engage, as the car could suddenly slow down in the middle of a turn, or approaching a flashing yellow caution sign. It might mistake an angled traffic light that's not meant for your lane and suddenly attempt to run a red light. It could make a sudden lane change, or try to make a turn from the wrong lane. I've had it try to go straight through an intersection while in a right turn-only lane.

Constant Engagement and Disengagement - And Reporting
You will be engaging the system and disengaging it constantly. Is it getting too close to that parked car? Coming too fast at a speed bump? Did it become paralyzed at a 4-way stop where pedestrians are crossing? Is it in the wrong lane for the exit you need to take, and going to miss it? In many cases you will need to disengage FSD, perform a maneuver yourself and then re-engage FSD - and report it to Tesla. It's also important that you report everything to Tesla so they can improve the system. That can be difficult, if your car just freaked out and you had to disengage FSD and take over instantly to avoid something bad from happening. Your first reaction isn't usually to find and press a little camera button to report it - but you have to get into that habit.

Passengers
I do most of my FSD Beta driving alone, as the system can really freak out passengers - and in many cases cause motion sickness in those susceptible to it. I've read many posts from people who say their BF/GF or spouse simply will not let them use FSD Beta while they are in the car.

Final Thoughts
Some people might read the above and think, "I just won't use FSD Beta that much." If you're thinking you'll use FSD Beta a little, perhaps setting aside time to do a small trip with it from time to time, but otherwise driving the car yourself, then I think FSD Beta is not for you. You're committing to help Tesla improve a system, and with limited Beta participants (currently ~60K), your casual attitude towards the program could be negatively affecting it. There may be someone like me who is ready to totally commit to it, but cannot get into the program because someone else took a spot who really doesn't care that much. Also, if you've read all this and thought "Tesla should be paying me to do all this!", then the FSD Beta is not for you.

So be careful what you wish for... FSD Beta is not all fun and games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you mean the High beams? I've noticed that FSD activates the auto high beam function whenever you engage it and won't let you disable it. I assume this is to maximize the visibility. I don't recall offhand if it does so for cruise control, too, or just FSD/AP.
Oh yes, it does.

I'm talking about claims that it is "terrible" in the way it works.

Press the left stalk forward. it disables them. AP/FSD always starts with it activated
Nope - tried. It reactivates them.

Oh yes, it does.

I'm talking about claims that it is "terrible" in the way it works.
meh - it's not perfect but certainly not horrible, IME/IMO. It does a reasonable job of dimming them for approaching cars or when you approach a car from behind, as well as at intersections. The main problem is it will 'flash people' because a car is just outside of the range when it turns them back on so they're on for a second then turn back off. There's not a great way to fix this but it's not that bad, either.

I assume you mean the High beams? I've noticed that FSD activates the auto high beam function whenever you engage it and won't let you disable it. I assume this is to maximize the visibility. I don't recall offhand if it does so for cruise control, too, or just FSD/AP.
Yes high beams (main beam is what we call it in the UK… I can’t hide my British roots it seems).

It did not do this on AP, and in fact still doesn’t if you disable FSD. It’s perhaps an additional requirements for the visual-only AP, so it may do this on all recent cars. My 2018 P3D only started doing this when I activated FSB Beta.

Reactions: MSR-MXP
I don't experience this, though I see many people complain. Do you have videos / links to videos of this ... I want to see what people are talking about ?
No, it’d my experience but it’s really quite simple; the car will activate high beams when there are no vehicles directly in front (that’s good) but will often do it when there is oncoming traffic (not so good).

I have a long NY to New Orleans road trip coming up towards the end of the month. If it does it I’ll save and post.

I have my order in for a new MXP. Im not sure if I should go with the FSD package upfront for 12k+ tax or I should try out first with subscription and if I like it then I can purchase it afterwards???
The problem is that FSD is required to have Navigate on Autopilot and automatic lane change. Features that really work quite well on the Interstates. I have nearly stopped using it at all "On City Streets." It is too hard and makes lots of mistakes. It is much better than earlier versions, but it increases driver workload, IMO.

I have FSD Beta, interestingly enough on the MS it doesn't require the high beam activation thank goodness. The MY I was driving before did it just with AP and drove me nuts as it would do it with cars in front of it.

That being said. I totally agree with OP. This isn't prime time. I wish they'd just release the visuals, which is the main reason I want to be in the beta. I give it time and try when I'm going to be super focused. But city driving has a lot to improve on right now. I've had super positive experiences (very suprised on a roundabout I took, scared the crap outta me with a yoke spinning around haha but executed perfectly) with it and weird wtf is happening experiences (most of which deal with making right hand turns)

You get what you get. It's beta. There's a reason why they want attentive drivers. Little does Tesla know. I got my 98 and 120ish miles and then it sat at a Tesla service center for a month. When I picked it up, it had beta. Now w no safety score holding me back I can't imagine what it looks like now haha as the only requirements really to stay in are not to have forced disconnects. Which. Duh. No way would you not pay attention when using it.

On a side note. Regular FSD on the highway, is that inflienced by the beta? I'm asking because it annoys the crap out of me it wants to shift into the fast lane when it can't pass and wants to cut off a speedy driver lol. Then I look like an idiot canceling my blinker. Or worse. It switching lanes, only to realize, oh crap I should leave the passing lane cuz I'm not passing. Eh. Real world problems. Hah

And as @jebinc said. It's def not worth $12k. It's a fun party trick for summon. Reverse summon will be awesome and possibly worth it. But. I'm a nerd and had to do it. Highway FSD is awesome for me because of the long trips I take. Highway to city streets is cool. It transitions well. But then you have the fun of what city streets gives you, def never a dull moment.

Reactions: HeatherW22
thanks. however if I like it and want to buy the software instead of paying monthly is that an option as well? or I would be stuck paying monthly subscription?
Only benefit of buying vs sub is the hardware upgrades. Honestly. I'd prob just have done the sub and paid the out of pocket for the upgrades. Err. Prob not. Lol. Idk. Depends on how much you use it. You can cancel the sub whenever you want and reactivate whenever. So if you only take a good trip every few months. Sub may be better.