Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Experience - Seattle WA Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd start a thread where those of us testing FSD in the Seattle WA area could share experiences. I live North in Snohomish but work in the city and have driven all over from Federal Way to Bellingham. I've seen Gali's videos (HyperChange) and my experience has been different than his - which is to be expected. Here are some observations I've had so far.

1. Performance varies from time to time at the same places. It will take the same turn perfectly fine one time and fail another. Overall, I see better performance during the day vs at night. My worst experience have been at night with rain - but it amazes me that it worked at all under those conditions.

2. AP/NoA performance on I5 and Highway 9 has been improved for me. It slows for traffic much smoother instead of waiting until the last second to brake. I've also noticed it doing a much better job allowing people merging on the freeway when you are driving along in the right hand lane. Taking the interchange from 522 to 405 has been perfect as has 405 to I90. On two occasions, however, it darted to the side unexpectedly on HWY 9 near Snohomish. Since I always hold the wheel, I caught it but was surprised by this because I assumed the old AP/NoA stack was unchanged and it has always been very solid for me. Note to self - don't let your guard down on the freeway because you think you are using the older proven software since you see the old visuals.

3. Mapping errors are a factor. In my somewhat rural area, I've had multiple cases of missed turns, failure to signal, driving on a shoulder because it thinks its a lane, etc.

4. Hesitation at stops. This is probably my biggest source of disengagements. It simple stops WAY to far from a stop sign and then will spend minuets slowly/hesitantly creeping up to the sign before it can even consider if it is safe to proceed. Anytime anyone is behind me, I simply disengage. If I try to encourage it with some accelerator, it usually does the right thing and can make the turn but it feels like it doesn't like to be rushed :).

5. Looking at it from the perspective of extending the existing functionality of AP/NoA, its going really well. It takes interchanges much better and exits completely off the freeways - something that was very hit or miss before. As you get more onto the surface streets, its limitations increase (obviously). On simple roads with little traffic, its doing ok and success is the norm. When traffic increases, or you have multi lane intersections or any kind of complexity involving limited sight or needing to time its actions, failure is the norm but every now and then it succeeds and amazes you.

6. Smart summon seems significantly improved - once it connects. Since the big 4.x app update (I'm on Android with a Z Fold 3), connecting to the car is hit or miss. Once it connects, come to me or go to target are much quicker and sure. The routing doesn't seem to bounce all over like before.

For those of you in the surrounding areas, how is it going for you? Perhaps we can start to see how many of us there are and where/how much coverage we are getting in our testing.

Today FSD kept changing between left and right lanes about 5 times within a single block, this is on Bel-Red Rd between 148th and 156th. I let it do what it wanted because there was no one behind me. It needed to be in the left lane to make an upcoming turn, but it kept intermittently identifying the left lane as a center lane with yellow lines on either side in the visualization. The lines are white but maybe its because there are lots of leaves on the ground?

Today FSD kept changing between left and right lanes about 5 times within a single block, this is on Bel-Red Rd between 148th and 156th. I let it do what it wanted because there was no one behind me. It needed to be in the left lane to make an upcoming turn, but it kept intermittently identifying the left lane as a center lane with yellow lines on either side in the visualization. The lines are white but maybe its because there are lots of leaves on the ground?
Did you send the video ? Looks like a "fall" edge case.

In Seattle proper we have a lot of speed bumps. FSD 10.2 (I haven't tried 10.3.1 yet) does not seem to acknowledge the speed bumps at all, and will drive through them at cruising speed. I'm guessing there just isn't an algorithm for speed bumps yet.

Looking forward to being able to test in the suburbs which tend to have more straightforward road and intersection designs and markings.

In Seattle proper we have a lot of speed bumps. FSD 10.2 (I haven't tried 10.3.1 yet) does not seem to acknowledge the speed bumps at all, and will drive through them at cruising speed. I'm guessing there just isn't an algorithm for speed bumps yet.

Looking forward to being able to test in the suburbs which tend to have more straightforward road and intersection designs and markings.
Have you tried in Seattle downtown ? I guess its somewhat similar to SF downtown - with few more bikers.

It is still struggling for me downtown. I'm in the office today and it struggled getting off I5 on Stewart St. When traffic is tight, I take control because it just isn't confident enough yet. I did notice some nice improvements leaving Snohomish this morning merging onto Hwy 9 and it took Marsh road up to Seattle Hill road like a champ. There is still miles and miles to go but it is nice to see noticible changes between releases.

Reactions: EVNow
I'm amazed at how much nerve all the youtubers have to let FSD Beta run in downtown SF / Chicago etc. Ofcourse Gali keeps trying various stunts near the monorail.
I don't have anywhere near the risk tolereance that Gali has :). You start to develope a sense of how well it will do in a situation and if it doesn't feel like its going to go well, I take over. I just about died when Gali's rims got curbed and even though I got into the beta program, I specifically didn't try it until I swapped my nice rims for the winter setup. I'm not taking any chances there lol.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm fairly new to TMC, so if there is a more recent thread for Seattle area FSD or autopilot, let me know. I'm actually down in the Tacoma area near Puyallup but do a lot of commuting to West Seattle.

Overall I've seen some great progress with FSD and have enjoyed using it. It's pretty good by this point for a lot of stuff. I still see it struggling with 4-way stops, or even stop signs in general where it's not consistent with creeping out and going vs waiting. There are often times where it feels like it's going to start going when there is oncoming traffic and I intervene because I don't want to make the other drivers think I'm going to dart out in front of them.

However, one thing that still really frustrates me is that maps don't seem to be updated at least since 2018. There are a few discussions in other threads about problems with I-5 and lane changes on autopilot. In several areas of I-5 and Hwy 167, it seems to think there are fewer lanes on the freeway because it will constantly try to move out of the far left hand land (not HOV) saying "changing lanes to follow route". Then after doing so will try to change to the right one more lane saying "changing out of passing lane". So that leads me to believe it's thinking the far left lane doesnt exist on the map? Then there will be sections of the freeway where it doesn't do this and has no problem staying in far left lane (again not counting HOV lane). This is problematic because it will then stay behind cars going a lot slower when it could pass them, except it thinks it's already in the passing lane when there is another lane to the left available for passing. :-/

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm fairly new to TMC, so if there is a more recent thread for Seattle area FSD or autopilot, let me know. I'm actually down in the Tacoma area near Puyallup but do a lot of commuting to West Seattle.

Overall I've seen some great progress with FSD and have enjoyed using it. It's pretty good by this point for a lot of stuff. I still see it struggling with 4-way stops, or even stop signs in general where it's not consistent with creeping out and going vs waiting. There are often times where it feels like it's going to start going when there is oncoming traffic and I intervene because I don't want to make the other drivers think I'm going to dart out in front of them.

However, one thing that still really frustrates me is that maps don't seem to be updated at least since 2018. There are a few discussions in other threads about problems with I-5 and lane changes on autopilot. In several areas of I-5 and Hwy 167, it seems to think there are fewer lanes on the freeway because it will constantly try to move out of the far left hand land (not HOV) saying "changing lanes to follow route". Then after doing so will try to change to the right one more lane saying "changing out of passing lane". So that leads me to believe it's thinking the far left lane doesnt exist on the map? Then there will be sections of the freeway where it doesn't do this and has no problem staying in far left lane (again not counting HOV lane). This is problematic because it will then stay behind cars going a lot slower when it could pass them, except it thinks it's already in the passing lane when there is another lane to the left available for passing. :-/
Actually curious if this will improve once the next update comes out that has the freeway code stack and city code stacks combined.

I haven't found any other discussion about performance in Seattle. I'd hoped more people would contribute to the thread. I'm still testing and overall have seen steady improvement. I still am selective of where I trust it to drive and switch it off down town. My biggest problems with it right now are it is too cautious to use with people around. It is too slow to enter intersections and creeps too slowly. I wish they hadn't been forced to get rid of the ability to roll stops. Now, I basically have to take over if there is anyone behind me because it does not drive like a person would.

I haven't found any other discussion about performance in Seattle. I'd hoped more people would contribute to the thread. I'm still testing and overall have seen steady improvement. I still am selective of where I trust it to drive and switch it off down town. My biggest problems with it right now are it is too cautious to use with people around. It is too slow to enter intersections and creeps too slowly. I wish they hadn't been forced to get rid of the ability to roll stops. Now, I basically have to take over if there is anyone behind me because it does not drive like a person would.
Yep! I hear ya. That sounds about how my experience is and how I use it as well.