Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta for all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was actually wondering if you had to have FSD to get the beta? Is that a stupid question? If they had a beta that wowed me and then took it away, I'd be likely to purchase.

I was actually wondering if you had to have FSD to get the beta? Is that a stupid question? If they had a beta that wowed me and then took it away, I'd be likely to purchase.
Given Tesla gave 3 month FSD trials as a year end promotion (I have one in my car) and they are planning to release a subscription some time this year, I would say they likely won't let you have the beta if you don't have FSD at this go. You can probably get access to try it however when they release the subscription.

IMO - buy or subscription, they will need a ‘try before you buy’.

This beta will be to placate the people who bought into the myth. Even slightly resembling autopilot is a no go, and would keep the people who invested their thousands elsewhere, elsewhere.

I'm sure they will allow a try-before-you-buy, and with all of the talk that buying the feature outright is still a better deal, the subscription plan will probably be to allow people to test it out whenever they want - for a monthly fee. That said, I think it's unlikely that they'll allow people who didn't buy FSD to test the beta of FSD.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If this is made available to everyone then does that mean HW3.0 really is not required and this will work with HW2.5? Or is he saying that "everyone" meaning anyone who paid for FSD?
HW3 (aka "the Full Self Driving Computer" on Tesla's order screen) is a prerequisite for running the FSD code. If you've bought the feature, you should schedule your included (not really "free") hardware upgrade that comes with it! Even the AP stuff tends to work better for me on HW3 than 2.5.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
To be clear, I don't think article is referring to the FSD package purchased as an option with a car, but rather the beta program for city street navigation which up until now has only been distributed to a few owners.
The city streets navigation distributed to a few owners is an early release of the package purchased as an option with the car, I'm sure there are no FSD beta testers who did not purchase FSD (and if there are, they must be very good friends with Elon, haha).

IMO - buy or subscription, they will need a ‘try before you buy’.

This beta will be to placate the people who bought into the myth. Even slightly resembling autopilot is a no go, and would keep the people who invested their thousands elsewhere, elsewhere.
It's not just placating people. Unless you were one of the earlier buyers where the order page promised the car can drive itself, later owners had Autosteer in city streets as the last remaining bullet point feature that was promised and FSD beta is going to be what eventually leads to that feature being released and completing the list.

Of course there is still a long road to travel until Tesla reaches L4/L5 FSD to meet the promises of the earlier buyers.

when. I purchased my car in Jan 2020, I also purchased FSD....I have HW3.0....I am a bit confused....having this, do I need to do anything to get on a list to get the beta download or will Tesla just download it to me...I am really confused...

Hi r1200gs4ok ,

Much confusion here...
We have all been driving FSD beta...

What you may want is the new "City Streets FSD beta."
Depending upon what you read and where you read it,
there have been two different paths mentioned to obtaining it.
One is to email your name, VIN, USA location, and your driving characterization
to [email protected]

The second is to wait for a "New" FSD download button to appear on your software
screen in a few weeks...

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi r1200gs4ok ,

Much confusion here...

to [email protected]

The second is to wait for a "New" FSD download button to appear on your software
screen in a few weeks...

Good luck,

Shawn
thank you....I will be on the lookout for the "button"...

Hi r1200gs4ok ,

Much confusion here...

to [email protected]

screen in a few weeks...

Good luck,

Shawn
Actually, it is a complete rewrite of all FSD, not just adding city streets.

If Elon truly believed in his own BS he would give everybody full self-driving for free yesterday. If he truly believed that data acquisition was imperative to self-learning AI which was also imperative to full self-driving in an autonomous fleet, he would want to be first one there and reaping the riches. The fact that he wants to nickel and dime people here and there & play stupid shell games w/ people that are willing to pay $10k for something that isn't even a thing yet proves that he's just hyping up a feature that he can't yet deliver on and has no intention on delivering on anytime soon despite all of his statements to the contrary.