Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta for all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest round of FSD articles mostly misrepresented Tesla's statement on the new FSD beta. Tesla's statement was that the CURRENT FSD software will continue to be driver assistance only - not Full Self Driving (still wish Tesla had chosen better names for AP and FSD...).

In order to operate without driver monitoring, Tesla must get regulatory approval - which they aren't seeking at this time - the software is still in "beta" - and based on the videos posted so far, Tesla hasn't made enough progress to start the approval process, though when they do, they're more likely to seek approval first for limited access highways, which are much simpler than driving on city streets.

Unless Tesla completely opens the door to provide the FSD beta to anyone who has already purchased the FSD option, it's likely they'll go first to the Early Access list, which should include those owners who purchased FSD early, before there was any software that was released only for FSD owners.

Did anyone get a response to email sent to the earlyaccess email address where we were supposed to contact them to be added. I sent the email and it didn't bounce, but not even an auto-response back...
I got an auto response 4 days ago soon after sending the earlyaccess email. They may be changing the setup if Tesla is going to put the Opt-In to the rewrite FSD Beta in as a feature in the Service or Software section of the User Interface on the car. I also feel even if you Opt-In, Tesla will still be somewhat selective. Time will tell.

Did anyone get a response to email sent to the earlyaccess email address where we were supposed to contact them to be added. I sent the email and it didn't bounce, but not even an auto-response back...
I received this:

Hello,

Thank you for emailing [email protected]. We appreciate your participation and feedback; all feature related feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate engineering team. If any additional information is needed, we will reach out directly.

If you would like to opt-out of the Early Access Program, please reply to this email and we will process your request.

For all vehicle related concerns please schedule a service appointment through your Tesla mobile app.

We are currently reviewing all inquiries into the Full Self-Driving Early Access Beta Program

Thank you,

EAP

I got the same response. I'm torn between wanting it immediately and not wanting it until it's good enough so that I'm not disappointed :). Too many "phantom braking" incidents have taken the shine off "FSD" for me, at least for now. I'm still in awe of what Tesla has achieved and appreciative that I'm part of the experience.

If Elon truly believed in his own BS he would give everybody full self-driving for free yesterday. If he truly believed that data acquisition was imperative to self-learning AI which was also imperative to full self-driving in an autonomous fleet, he would want to be first one there and reaping the riches. The fact that he wants to nickel and dime people here and there & play stupid shell games w/ people that are willing to pay $10k for something that isn't even a thing yet proves that he's just hyping up a feature that he can't yet deliver on and has no intention on delivering on anytime soon despite all of his statements to the contrary.

Not sure your comment makes any sense. Why would he give FSD for free when it will be (and already is) and huge revenue potential. Does Apple give everyone free Macs? To your point about data acquisition, all cars are already collecting data, you dont need to have FSD for your car to acquire data. And lastly, “he would be reaping the riches”, he is already one of the richest guys in the world.

That sounds about right with the quality of Tesla Service.

I am still waiting to be enrolled in the Early Access Program as promised on the blog published on 3/1/2019 for all those who bought FSD prior to 3/1/2019.

"...Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers..."

RTk0g5n[1].jpg

But this time, it comes from Elon Musk's tweet so perhaps it will finally be true in 10 days or so not to worry (it's not been years just yet!).

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
That sounds about right with the quality of Tesla Service.

I am still waiting to be enrolled in the Early Access Program as promised on the blog published on 3/1/2019 for all those who bought FSD prior to 3/1/2019.

View attachment 643322

But this time, it comes from Elon Musk's tweet so perhaps it will finally be true in 10 days or so not to worry (it's not been years just yet!).
Uh, they forgot....:oops:

If Elon truly believed in his own BS he would give everybody full self-driving for free yesterday. If he truly believed that data acquisition was imperative to self-learning AI which was also imperative to full self-driving in an autonomous fleet, he would want to be first one there and reaping the riches. The fact that he wants to nickel and dime people here and there & play stupid shell games w/ people that are willing to pay $10k for something that isn't even a thing yet proves that he's just hyping up a feature that he can't yet deliver on and has no intention on delivering on anytime soon despite all of his statements to the contrary.
This is self contradictory. If Elon believed FSD was worth $10k and may even appreciate, why would he give it away for free? There are no shortage of people who are willing to test the Beta out even among those that bought FSD, so he would have to be incredibly stupid to offer it for free with no strings attached.

It makes sense to dangle a FSD trial to entice people to take cars at quarter end (as they did with my car) or maybe a couple days or weeks of trial to entice people to sign up for the subscription when it comes out, but I don't see them doing so absent of similar conditions.

Or was your intent to use reverse psychology to get Elon to give access to the Beta for free to those without the FSD option? If so you need to work on your logic, and need to post in a platform with more visibility to him (like twitter).

This is self contradictory. If Elon believed FSD was worth $10k and may even appreciate, why would he give it away for free? There are no shortage of people who are willing to test the Beta out even among those that bought FSD, so he would have to be incredibly stupid to offer it for free with no strings attached.

It makes sense to dangle a FSD trial to entice people to take cars at quarter end (as they did with my car) or maybe a couple days or weeks of trial to entice people to sign up for the subscription when it comes out, but I don't see them doing so absent of similar conditions.

Or was your intent to use reverse psychology to get Elon to give access to the Beta for free to those without the FSD option? If so you need to work on your logic, and need to post in a platform with more visibility to him (like twitter).
When doing a shakedown run it's common practice to not do it on the world stage.

Reactions: ladysbff and ks1972
Tesla hasn't made enough progress to start the approval process, though when they do, they're more likely to seek approval first for limited access highways, which are much simpler than driving on city streets.

I think there is going to be some politics at play here as well. The "traditional" auto manufacturing industry will certainly have a say in Tesla's regulatory approval via their lobbying power/campaigning in Washington DC. If I were Elon, I wouldn't want to seek approval anytime soon either until the system is bulletproof (as much as it can be) and even then, it will probably be an uphill battle.

It's not just placating people. Unless you were one of the earlier buyers where the order page promised the car can drive itself, later owners had Autosteer in city streets as the last remaining bullet point feature that was promised and FSD beta is going to be what eventually leads to that feature being released and completing the list.

Of course there is still a long road to travel until Tesla reaches L4/L5 FSD to meet the promises of the earlier buyers.
Actually, it's not feature complete until there's "Smart Reverse Summon" valet mode or whatever it's called. "Advanced Auto Park" maybe

Actually, it's not feature complete until there's "Smart Reverse Summon" valet mode or whatever it's called. "Advanced Auto Park" maybe
Was that ever promised on the order page (if so, do you have a screen shot)?

The only similar function promised in the order page when I ordered was this:
"Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really."
That's just the Smart Summon that had been out for a long time.

Was that ever promised on the order page (if so, do you have a screen shot)?

Many many times over the years. Here is one example of the FSD description from 2017 (bold/underline added by me):

Full Self-Driving Capability​

Build upon Enhanced Autopilot and order Full Self-Driving Capability on your Tesla. This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.

Source:

--

Also - while reading this, we are actually getting a little closer here - especially with the verbiage of navigating city streets, complex intersections/traffic lights/etc...

Many many times over the years. Here is one example of the FSD description from 2017 (bold/underline added by me):

Full Self-Driving Capability​

Build upon Enhanced Autopilot and order Full Self-Driving Capability on your Tesla. This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction.
It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.

Source:

--

Also - while reading this, we are actually getting a little closer here - especially with the verbiage of navigating city streets, complex intersections/traffic lights/etc...
That's the same thing promised for "early owners" I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, which suggests L4/L5 FSD right on the order page (not some other general marketing page which may not necessarily apply to the car being sold).

That used to be on the order page when it first launched as I posted here (linked from Teslarati):
Tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade.jpg

FSD Subscription to start February 2021

I thought he was talking about after Tesla switched to the bullet points on the order page and that there was one bullet point saying "Smart Reverse Summon".

Here's what it showed was included with FSD when I ordered in October 2020, no promise about anything similar to what was suggested to earlier owners:

FSD_Order.jpg

The current order page now has a cool animation for Summon (screen shot below), but the description also doesn't promise anything like reverse summon.
FSD_Summon.jpg

Last edited: