Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta for all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it does not really double anything.

This is not to say I have access to the latest Beta, of course, but the car code was long separated into a bunch of modules like "stay in lane manager" and "lane change manager" (that used to be "change to left" and "change to right" managers), "parking behavior", "active safety", ...

The "beta" and various dev builds add "city streets" module, but all the NNs are still in the "Vision" module and their outputs are reused by other modules as needed.

So it's totally feasible how on a highway a city street module deactivates and the old stay in lane/lane change logic takes over. But I have no hard evidence if that's how it works in the latest betas.
That's very insightful. But if the NNs for the "Vision" is reused across different modules, that means things they change to make the city module work, may also affect the highway module. For example that 4D rewrite that was touted a while back.

If this is true, I don't think most people would consider the NOA to be the "same". Even if the lane change logic remains exactly the same as the old, the NN for the vision being upgraded is much more of a change people care about than that.

I think most people's impression or implication however is basically people think when it shows the NOA interface, it is using the old 2D/3D labeling system that's in the public releases, and when it's showing the FSD interface it is using the new 4D labeling system.

That's very insightful. But if the NNs for the "Vision" is reused across different modules, that means things they change to make the city module work, may also affect the highway module. For example that 4D rewrite that was touted a while back.

If this is true, I don't think most people would consider the NOA to be the "same". Even if the lane change logic remains exactly the same as the old, the NN for the vision being upgraded is much more of a change people care about than that.

I think most people's impression or implication however is basically people think when it shows the NOA interface, it is using the old 2D/3D labeling system that's in the public releases, and when it's showing the FSD interface it is using the new 4D labeling system.
It's feasible that NoA uses some of the new NNs, but it's sort of hard to know for sure.

Some of the NNs have citystreets in the name, but that's no guarantee nothing else uses the outputs of course (and they appear to be running all the time as well)

Just because Musk claims we will see this in April - based on past experience, any statements he makes about dates for software releases are usually (considerably) optimistic... Though it does seem likely we'll see the expanded beta in the next few months.

When we received the winter software update yesterday, we quickly checked for the download beta button... Not there this time - but we're ready when it comes...

i doubt it will be released anytime soon now due to the recent Tesla accident that happened as they haven't released any in fo if the car was on autopilot/FSD pilot or not. hopefully it was the drivers fault and it dont get blamed to the car. i also hope he recover soon as he was reported to be in critical condition.

Even with the unfortunate accident (which may have been while operating under AP - probably not under the FSD beta), Tesla's statistics likely show the number of accidents per miles driven is much less while AP is engaged.

It's unrealistic to expect AP or FSD will operate without any accidents - the goal has always been to be safer than a human driver (and Musk has stated a higher goal of being "much safer" than a human).

Unless the recent accidents were while FSD beta was engaged, Tesla should continue to proceed with their FSD beta expansion. [If FSD beta was involved - it's likely we would have heard about it by now...]

Reactions: DukeofURL