Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for MCU1 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had HW3 installed to my Model S with MCU1 today. Service center manager confirmed my suspicion that no MCU1 car have yet received FSD beta. Car says 2020.36.16 is up to date.

Any ideas when MCU1 cars can be expected to be included in the beta?

I had HW3 installed to my Model S with MCU1 today. Service center manager confirmed my suspicion that no MCU1 car have yet received FSD beta. Car says 2020.36.16 is up to date.

Any ideas when MCU1 cars can be expected to be included in the beta?
FSD will always be in beta as it will never be perefct, it will go wide release probably in December. MCU 1 will have same functionality but just lessened visualizations

I doubt there will be any added beta testers before V9

Real question is - how long before V9 will be back ported to MCU1 cars?

I am afraid that the small group of MCU1/FSD owners might just get ignored. Then again, maybe that would make them eligible for a free MCU2 upgrade.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I doubt there will be any added beta testers before V9

Real question is - how long before V9 will be back ported to MCU1 cars?

I am afraid that the small group of MCU1/FSD owners might just get ignored. Then again, maybe that would make them eligible for a free MCU2 upgrade.
Yea, I can only see it going two ways. $3000 refund of FSD, which would make people very upset or just upgrade the MCU which is $1500-2000 lost for Tesla. Seems like the easy button is to do the MCU upgrade.

If they haven't been testing MCU1 with FSD yet I highly doubt they'll put much effort into it. Yes yes, I know "FSD isn't dependent on MCU2". But if that were true we would have seen at least one tester over the past year of FSD Beta?

I'm cool hanging out with my aged MCU1 for several more months. Sure, I can't Netflix and chill or surf the internet but I wasn't doing that 4 years ago either.

Once big beta goes out, I'll be first in line to get my free MCU2.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
Why would you need MCU2 for FSD? Yes, you wouldn't have the cool visuals but it wouldn't impact the functionality of FSD. The current visuals obviously aren't going to be the final released visuals anyway, so more than likely there will be one visual display for MCU1 and another for MCU2 when FSD (beta) is finally released to the general public.

Why would you need MCU2 for FSD? Yes, you wouldn't have the cool visuals but it wouldn't impact the functionality of FSD. The current visuals obviously aren't going to be the final released visuals anyway, so more than likely there will be one visual display for MCU1 and another for MCU2 when FSD (beta) is finally released to the general public.
I believed that theory last year. But since there isn't a single known car out there with an active MCU1/FSD Beta, then it leads me to believe they can't do it or don't care to do it.
If it's just visuals then it would be even easier to implement on MCU1/FSD, right? Why make those people wait longer?

The only people that got FSD beta are influencers that make videos or posts and show off FSD.

MCU1 has fewer and simpler visuals. Why would you pick these cars for your advertising campaign, even if it was fully technically capable?

We have seen the code in the app for FSD subscriptions. It only requires HW3, and doesn't check your MCU.

Have there been any cars that upgraded to MCU2 in the beta
There are 71 cars in the beta. Some configuration being covered or not isn't really telling us anything.

The people Tesla hand picked for the beta tended to be influencers, who kinda by definition have newer cars. Influencing around Tesla wasn't as big a thing back in 2017 and before when MCU1 was installed.

At the same time, a car updated to MCU2 and HW3 is basically identical to one shipped that way. I don't think anyone has ever noticed a flag for "originally MCU2 and HW3" vs "Upgraded to." Code that exists that we've seen just checks the current config. So there's no real reason to worry about that situation.

The only real issue here is that after 8+ months (on top of 18 months of "coming soon"), the FSD beta is still just 71 hand picked people, and even with that they're doing a major re-write which isn't out yet. It's not your hardware config blocking you from getting it, it's that Tesla is way, way, way behind on their schedule, and you don't have a Youtube channel.

Reactions: Cheburashka