Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for MCU1 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations!

How much of a hassle the process was?

Was there an in-person hearing or how did that work out?

If you would have lost, would there been a risk of you needing to compensate for Tesla's legal representation or other costs?
Wasn't too much of a hassle. Everything was done virtually, but Tesla didn't pay the arbitration fees at first until AAA sent them multiple emails about it. I don;t think there was any risk upon losing

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
By that argument, they should drop support for MCU2, which is a 5-year-old computer. We're talking about MCU1, where the newest instances are three years old, but in terms of chip release date, is a 10-year-old computer. ;)

Not disagreeing here. Bringing new features to old cars is expensive and has risk of generating problems that can be very expensive to solve.

While we early FSD buyers are feeling pain of not having the feature delivered, Tesla probably has deep regrets as well for selling something they might not be able to deliver and keep generating negativity among their early adopters. Delivery can eventually end up being very expensive for them. Besides, it they would not have sold it in the first place, we might be all hungry for a new (Tesla) car right now.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Not disagreeing here. Bringing new features to old cars is expensive and has risk of generating problems that can be very expensive to solve.

While we early FSD buyers are feeling pain of not having the feature delivered, Tesla probably has deep regrets as well for selling something they might not be able to deliver and keep generating negativity among their early adopters. Delivery can eventually end up being very expensive for them. Besides, it they would not have sold it in the first place, we might be all hungry for a new (Tesla) car right now.

Probably not. Some MCU1 cars aren't even four years old. Most people don't trade cars that frequently. Besides, they can easily deliver the functionality. They may have to spend upgrade the MCU boards for all of us, but that cost is lost in the noise compared with the amount of money that we paid for FSD.

Remember that for an MCU1 car, the FSD feature didn't cost just $3,000. It cost $3,000 on top of the EAP feature, which cost $5,000 on top of the base Autopilot feature, which cost several thousand dollars more than that. I think the total cost was in the neighborhood of $15,000 for FSD when you add it all up, but I can't find my original paperwork, so I'm not certain of the exact number.

All of that money just covered turning on a software feature for hardware that they included in every car. I guarantee nobody at Tesla is biting their nails wondering if they can afford to spend $300 on an MCU upgrade for MCU1 FSD users. They're likely just still trying to decide which is cheaper — doing the upgrade or making it work without doing the upgrade. :)

Probably not. Some MCU1 cars aren't even four years old. Most people don't trade cars that frequently. Besides, they can easily deliver the functionality. They may have to spend upgrade the MCU boards for all of us, but that cost is lost in the noise compared with the amount of money that we paid for FSD.

Agreed. I bought my car 4 years back for the specific reason that it would be self-driving. Haven't they had promised that, maybe they would have not had the cash needed to survive the financial hardship they vent through with model 3 manufacturing.

Remember that for an MCU1 car, the FSD feature didn't cost just $3,000. It cost $3,000 on top of the EAP feature, which cost $5,000 on top of the base Autopilot feature, which cost several thousand dollars more than that. I think the total cost was in the neighborhood of $15,000 for FSD when you add it all up, but I can't find my original paperwork, so I'm not certain of the exact number.

I paid $5000 for EAP + $5000 for FSD.

All of that money just covered turning on a software feature for hardware that they included in every car. I guarantee nobody at Tesla is biting their nails wondering if they can afford to spend $300 on an MCU upgrade for MCU1 FSD users. They're likely just still trying to decide which is cheaper — doing the upgrade or making it work without doing the upgrade.

I think upgrade costs quite a bit more to them than $300 (installation work is not free), but you are right. FSD purchases surely should cover the HW.

Here is a novel idea for Tesla: How about being proactive and announcing that early FSD buyers are eligible for MCU2 upgrade. That would generate a lot of good will and would end up being less expensive than being forced to do that later (and pay for all the legal costs haggling with with individual owners separately).

Here is a novel idea for Tesla: How about being proactive and announcing that early FSD buyers are eligible for MCU2 upgrade. That would generate a lot of good will and would end up being less expensive than being forced to do that later (and pay for all the legal costs haggling with with individual owners separately).
I agree, but they might be afraid of having to refund those who paid $1500-2500 for MCU2 upgrade. Since those people would now be upset.

I agree, but they might be afraid of having to refund those who paid $1500-2500 for MCU2 upgrade. Since those people would now be upset.
All 500 of them? I mean, judging from the percentage of MCU2 users who have a 2021.x build, it's O(1%), and even if you ignore the fact that most of the 2017 and early 2018 sales were Model 3 cars (MCU2-equivalent), we'd still be talking about only O(2000) cars.

I am yet another 2017 Model S MCU1 owner who purchased FSD along with my car.

I had a lovely exchange where I asked service (in the app) to send me the update for safety ratings to get FSD Beta and was promptly told I was on the latest version "for the MCU currently in the vehicle" but I could purchase an upgrade to MCU2. They hedged and said this didn't guarantee I would get the update, but I had not even asked about MCU2, it was clear that if I wanted the update they wanted me to pay for the new hardware.

This isn't OK. I think it's worth trying to get some publicity for the situation. I don't think the full on Tesla fanboy sites will take it, but a site like Elektrek with a more neutral view or a YouTube channel like Transport Evolved might be willing to.

I am yet another 2017 Model S MCU1 owner who purchased FSD along with my car.

I had a lovely exchange where I asked service (in the app) to send me the update for safety ratings to get FSD Beta and was promptly told I was on the latest version "for the MCU currently in the vehicle" but I could purchase an upgrade to MCU2. They hedged and said this didn't guarantee I would get the update, but I had not even asked about MCU2, it was clear that if I wanted the update they wanted me to pay for the new hardware.

Please archive service request for yourself. If you pursue issue in arbitration or small claims court later, it might help to be able to show that Tesla has asked for additional payment for you to be able to receive FSD feature you have previously purchased.

Argument with Service Center might be something along these lines:

Your claim that "Infotainment upgrade does not affect the functionality of FSD" is not true:

If I would pay for MCU2 as you suggested, I would be able to receive the first useful FSD feature (Navigate on City Streets).

Without MCU2 I will not get that feature.

MCU2 is simply required for receiving a FSD feature I purchased.

At the time of purchase I was led to believe that Tesla would upgrade car without further cost if needed for the FSD delivery. Now you ask for additional payment. This is not acceptable. Instead I request you to provide MCU2 upgrade (including FM module) without further cost over the FSD purchase I already paid.

Please connect me with your manager - your process and public materials are out of date since the limited public release of Navigate on City Streets with FSD v10.2.

I really would like to avoid taking the dispute to court, please be reasonable and let’s solve the issue without that being necessary.

Keep up the pressure people! My 2017 FSD is back with Tesla, but I think it is shocking if the worlds richest man and his money-making machine won't honour the early adopters helping him to that position. Asking for more money to deliver what was promised is rude.
Cost is small for Tesla all in all.

This isn't OK. I think it's worth trying to get some publicity for the situation. I don't think the full on Tesla fanboy sites will take it, but a site like Elektrek with a more neutral view or a YouTube channel like Transport Evolved might be willing to.
What really isn't okay is them teasing us by releasing update after update, including 2020.48.37.8 just this week, more than two weeks post-button, without the button. If they want to drag their heels on actually rolling out the upgrade to people on MCU1, fine, whatever, make that a temporary part of the selection criteria (i.e. 5% of users with 100% score and MCU2) that you can disable later, but we should at least be able to get into the upgrade queue.

I don't think that's true. I've seen at least several on this forum that have reported FSD button with MCU upgrades.
I think it matters if your car originally came with AP2 or AP2.5. It’s my understanding that AP2 cars have different cameras than AP2.5 cars. I believe the switch to AP2.5 happened right around August 2017.

I’ll let you know if I get the beta. I have a December 2017 AP2.5 car that I upgraded to AP3 and MCU2. My safety score is 99, so we shall see.

I think it matters if your car originally came with AP2 or AP2.5. It’s my understanding that AP2 cars have different cameras than AP2.5 cars. I believe the switch to AP2.5 happened right around August 2017.

I’ll let you know if I get the beta. I have a December 2017 AP2.5 car that I upgraded to AP3 and MCU2. My safety score is 99, so we shall see.
Yeah, there is zero evidence that AP2 cameras are compatible with the Vision stack / FSD.

Aww...damn it! I had AP2.0. You guys are killing me with all this good info! Here I am, thinking all I need to do is pay $2200 (FM module + tax) to get MCU2 and boom I'll have FSD Beta Request Button! And then you just pummel my hopes, dreams, and ancient car into oblivion!

Seriously though, what you're saying makes perfect sense. So it's not tied ONLY to MCU2, but the original AP version as well. So I'm just extra screwed. Excuse me while I go reserve my Rivian with a delivery that will come quicker than a Model X. Lolz

Eleanor...the fact that you even have a safety score, tells me you're a lot closer to FSD beta than I am. Be careful when you get it...with great power comes great responsibility!

I sent this to Teslarati...
"Any chance you can run a story on this (again)?

No plan and no news for those of us with MCU1/FSD. Anytime someone asks about it on Twitter, it's ignored.
Even bigger news...FSD Button going to those that had AP2.5 (now upgraded to FSD). No reported FSD Buttons for anyone that originally had AP2.0.

What about the early adopters?
FSD Beta for MCU1 cars
https://twitter.com/search?q=#FSDBeta MCU1&src=typed_query&f=top

_________________________________________________________________________________

One of the writers there is looking for a few more people that are stuck in the MCU1/FSD boat like me. Please e-mail Simon with your story.

[email protected]

Hi John,

Thanks so much for reaching out to me. This situation definitely needs to be addressed. Do you think you can gather a couple more Tesla owners like you for the article? I'd live for us to chat so I can get a more personal angle into the story. If done well, I think there's a fair chance we can get Elon to comment or clarify the situation on Twitter.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

--
Simon Alvarez
Staff Reporter
3GKH2mBCvYGXsFm-0pbMI-0KQjYMCR65qRGrjSHF7bIgWSJYC9rSKmuV4IAPCVNafbOWkZttSI1e_DZ2LSNcL36ZVbXOH9iIxfnnCTl-mXYjA-a4WWQQAUKrPspNly8F9QJAlA_5U3NMvag7L5KADu4jAnrqZvF5YITt4oj6ug3xqOLWXpDl=s0-d-e1-ft

Reactions: t3sl4drvr