Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for MCU1 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent this to Teslarati...
"Any chance you can run a story on this (again)?

No plan and no news for those of us with MCU1/FSD. Anytime someone asks about it on Twitter, it's ignored.
Even bigger news...FSD Button going to those that had AP2.5 (now upgraded to FSD). No reported FSD Buttons for anyone that originally had AP2.0.

What about the early adopters?
FSD Beta for MCU1 cars
https://twitter.com/search?q=#FSDBeta MCU1&src=typed_query&f=top

_________________________________________________________________________________

One of the writers there is looking for a few more people that are stuck in the MCU1/FSD boat like me. Please e-mail Simon with your story.

[email protected]

Hi John,

Thanks so much for reaching out to me. This situation definitely needs to be addressed. Do you think you can gather a couple more Tesla owners like you for the article? I'd live for us to chat so I can get a more personal angle into the story. If done well, I think there's a fair chance we can get Elon to comment or clarify the situation on Twitter.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

--
Simon Alvarez
Staff Reporter
3GKH2mBCvYGXsFm-0pbMI-0KQjYMCR65qRGrjSHF7bIgWSJYC9rSKmuV4IAPCVNafbOWkZttSI1e_DZ2LSNcL36ZVbXOH9iIxfnnCTl-mXYjA-a4WWQQAUKrPspNly8F9QJAlA_5U3NMvag7L5KADu4jAnrqZvF5YITt4oj6ug3xqOLWXpDl=s0-d-e1-ft
I just sent an email to Simon myself. 🤞 we get some coverage on this!

Reactions: dbldwn02
Now there's evidence that the AP2 cameras aren't going to work.

Of course, the corollary you ignore is that Tesla has committed to that upgrade. In other words, is doing the right thing.

Predictably, many here will still bitch and moan that the upgrade will take time to be implemented.

• Disagree
Elon Musk reply to "What is going to happen to 2016 and 2017 teslas with fsd ? Will they get beta? Members are working on high safety scores." was "Yeah, although early production cars will need camera upgrades, as well as FSD computer (all included in the price)"

This is unfortunately telling: By ignoring currently required MCU2 upgrade, Elon communicates that they will continue keeping MCU1 car owners hostage until they shell out $1500-$2200 for the MCU2 upgrade or Tesla some day chooses to implement the support to MCU1 (which clearly is not a priority).

Elon Musk reply to "What is going to happen to 2016 and 2017 teslas with fsd ? Will they get beta? Members are working on high safety scores." was "Yeah, although early production cars will need camera upgrades, as well as FSD computer (all included in the price)"

This is unfortunately telling: By ignoring currently required MCU2 upgrade, Elon communicates that they will continue keeping MCU1 car owners hostage until they shell out $1500-$2200 for the MCU2 upgrade or Tesla some day chooses to implement the support to MCU1 (which clearly is not a priority).
They upgraded my Autopilot computer for free because I had purchased the FSD. I had to spend money to get the MCU 2 upgrade myself but yeah I think the camera upgrade should be included in the cost of the FSD.

Reactions: cybergates
They upgraded my Autopilot computer for free because I had purchased the FSD. I had to spend money to get the MCU 2 upgrade myself but yeah I think the camera upgrade should be included in the cost of the FSD.

At the time when I purchased, Tesla advertised that car included all hardware for FSD. Elon commented at the time that he believed no HW upgrades are needed to ship FSD, but if they are, they are included in the purchase price.

There is no contest whether FSD computer or camera upgrades are covered by Tesla. They already acknowledge this.

Contest is whether MCU2 is included as well:
- Today you cannot get latest FSD features without it, thus many have the position that it is not acceptable that you only get latest FSD features now if you pay for MCU2 in addition to FSD you already paid
- Tesla holds the position that it MCU1 will eventually be supported for FSD and thus it is not included in the price

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
At the time when I purchased, Tesla advertised that car included all hardware for FSD. Elon commented at the time that he believed no HW upgrades are needed to ship FSD, but if they are, they are included in the purchase price.

There is no contest whether FSD computer or camera upgrades are covered by Tesla. They already acknowledge this.

Contest is whether MCU2 is included as well:
- Today you cannot get latest FSD features without it, thus many have the position that it is not acceptable that you only get latest FSD features now if you pay for MCU2 in addition to FSD you already paid
- Tesla holds the position that it MCU1 will eventually be supported for FSD and thus it is not included in the price
yeah I agree with you 100% that MCU upgrade should've been done free. When I purchased FSD in 2017, I knew that likely it would be a work in project for the next 10 years. getting full self driving takes multiple iterations and upgrades. You don't get to level 5 capabilities with the hardware AP2.0 had. It was a complete fallacy. I think if Tesla had been honest and said- hey, we are going to get this done step wise. What we can promise you if you pay for the FSD is that we will have a road map to upgrade your hardware and get you there whenever we can.

maybe in the right thread now - AP 2.0 (mid-Nov 2016 Model S) upgraded to 3.0/MCU2 w/FSD - I suspected something was off as the safety score on this car is like in the 70's for me and on my 3 is 90's - other's having same experience? I suspect they reviewed the telemetry on safety score, saw something was off and realized the RGB type camera was the issue and that's why the late realization that we need an upgrade. Others w/ similar experience?

maybe in the right thread now - AP 2.0 (mid-Nov 2016 Model S) upgraded to 3.0/MCU2 w/FSD - I suspected something was off as the safety score on this car is like in the 70's for me and on my 3 is 90's - other's having same experience? I suspect they reviewed the telemetry on safety score, saw something was off and realized the RGB type camera was the issue and that's why the late realization that we need an upgrade. Others w/ similar experience?

Nope - you need to downgrade back to MCU1 to join this exclusive club of suffering MCU1+FSD car owners :)

You need to have new cameras installed. Tesla will do it for free, but no-one knows when. So you are in limbo. Welcome to the club!

Lets see if this will end up blocking FSD from all of us who do not have an in-cabin camera...

Tesla has a chance of exceeding themselves in betraying their customers. They just need to pull FSD Beta back from owners who purchased MCU2 upgrade just for it and declare that they will (someday maybe) retrofit cabin cameras. Lets see if they will use that unique opportunity... 🍿

Here's our story. Probably one of the most critical stories I've seen come out of Teslarati. Good for them!

Last edited: