Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for MCU1 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(If there are none in closed beta, changes of FSD getting released to MCU1 cars at the same time as for MCU2/MCU3 cars does not look good)

It's going to be crazy if Tesla attempts to not support City Streets Autosteer on MCU1. "All cars come with hardware needed for FSD" and they'll take your money for it, but you have to also pay for MCU2?

MCU2 is likely needed for all the new visualizations, but Tesla doesn't advertise these as part of City Streets Autosteer- in fact Elon says all cars that can go it get this. I'm guessing that it will work on MCU1 with just a lot less visual feedback.

It's going to be crazy if Tesla attempts to not support City Streets Autosteer on MCU1. "All cars come with hardware needed for FSD" and they'll take your money for it, but you have to also pay for MCU2?
More likely scenario would be that they just say that they will support it, but it is coming "a bit later".

That "bit later" could easily be several years based on their track record. This would effectively be the same as not supporting ever for many car owners whose FSD cars could end up being 8+ years old (and potentially needing a new battery) before they will receive FSD they paid for...

Obviously the best scenario would be that they just give us all MCU2 for free. Not holding my breath for that...

There is no chance MCU1 can support FSD. Stop moaning about FSD is independent of MCU. Its not.

FSD gets fed data from the nav system on MCU1 which is absolute garbage and constantly crashes. Not to mention you need visuals. Do you expect MCU1 to activate FSD and just blindly trust the car sees everything?

Tesla will just wait out for every MCU1 car to die or pay for the upgrade to MCU2.

And i am a former MCU1 owner. I paid to upgrade after I had it with how bad MCU1 had become

Reactions: dbldwn02
There is no chance MCU1 can support FSD. Stop moaning about FSD is independent of MCU. Its not.

FSD gets fed data from the nav system on MCU1 which is absolute garbage and constantly crashes. Not to mention you need visuals. Do you expect MCU1 to activate FSD and just blindly trust the car sees everything?

Tesla will just wait out for every MCU1 car to die or pay for the upgrade to MCU2.

And i am a former MCU1 owner. I paid to upgrade after I had it with how bad MCU1 had become
I think he is right, doesnt seem likely that MCU would support any kind of visualizations. I asked this question last year and was told that nowhere does it say that FSD needs MCU1, in fact, the person suggested that the visualizations just wouldnt be present on MCU1 cars, but that FSD would work. I tend to think he was right, but I didnt want to take the chance and so I also upgraded MCU. I guess we will see eventually. Might want to ask a service center rep? I tend to think MCU1 would have a hard time keeping up with just the gps alone, since most of the time it would crash with trying to map things out as you drove along.

Has anyone seen software version starting with 2021 on MCU1 car? FSD beta request button expectedly would be only on 2021.32.20.1 and beyond.

My model S is still on 2020.48.37.6.

According to TeslaTap, yes, but only on MCU1 cars that don't have HW3. Until I see evidence to the contrary, my assumption is that the extra overhead caused by whatever HW3 is doing in the new revisions to support city street data acquisition is more than MCU1 can handle.

According to TeslaTap, yes, but only on MCU1 cars that don't have HW3. Until I see evidence to the contrary, my assumption is that the extra overhead caused by whatever HW3 is doing in the new revisions to support city street data acquisition is more than MCU1 can handle.

That might explain this.

Maybe they are holding off the decision on whether MCU2 is needed for FSD (and thus would be given free for FSD buyers) until they have certainty on the issue by actually testing it. If that would be the case, I would imagine that they should increase FSD price for MCU1 cars accordingly.

Same here. Paid $3k for FSD a few years ago and so far have nothing to show for it. Everyone else is getting 2021 firmware updates, but we're still stuck on 2020.48.37.6 because I refuse to pay extra for MCU2 just to get FSD. We're happy with MCU1 and see no reason to upgrade. If Tesla continues delaying FSD for MCU1 cars I'll be asking for a full refund. We bought FSD so we would continue getting updates. That's not happening.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
I would actually be willing to upgrade to MCU2 if it means access to FSD, however I'm not even sure its guaranteed that we'll get the software update with MCU2. I feel so screwed over on this and no one from Tesla to contact about it.

You didn't get the response to traffic lights/signs and the green light chime that everyone else who bough FSD got?

Ok, I guess we did get something. You have a point. However, $3k for traffic lights with no other FSD features is not worth it. When we bought our MS back in 2017 we had Tesla's commitment that the car was FSD-capable. When we bought the FSD package the next year, Tesla again promised we would get the FSD features as they rolled out to the fleet. Now, surprise surprise, all the newer cars are getting the FSD beta but we're still stuck with last year's firmware. (Of course, they never specified precisely when we would get FSD features so... buyer beware I suppose?)

Tesla betrayed the early adopters. Not just by failing to keep the delivery promises given, but ignoring questions raised and failing to acknowledge the situation. An apology and giving something nice and unexpected to the people who believed in and funded their self driving vision early could turn those early true believers back on their side. I believe that would be valuable for Tesla.