Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for MCU1 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not out yet for wide release, I expect december

I did expect Dec as well, in 2020...

Elon musk in July 2020:

I am extremely confident that level five or essentially complete autonomy will happen, and I think, will happen very quickly, I think at Tesla, I feel like we are very close to level five autonomy. I think—I remain confident that we will have the basic functionality for level five autonomy complete this year, There are no fundamental challenges remaining. There are many small problems. And then there's the challenge of solving all those small problems and putting the whole system together.

Source:
Elon Musk in February 2019

We will be feature complete full self driving this year. The car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up, take you all the way to your destination without an intervention this year. I'm certain of that. That is not a question mark. It will be essentially safe to fall asleep and wake up at their destination towards the end of next year

Source: FYI Podcast | On the Road to Full Autonomy with Elon Musk by ARK Invest

One observation: Why would they not beta test it on MCU1 if they plan to deliver on MCU1?

Reactions: dbldwn02
Also, why would they would waste time on the 0.2% of cars that have MCU1/HW3? There's some major differences between those MCUs. Like, one works and one doesn't.
Then why would Tesla promise FSD on MCU1 cars? Don’t they have HW3 too?

MCU1 cars were built since the first production of model S though March of 2018. Probably not 0.2% of all Tesl’s run MCU1.

Then why would Tesla promise FSD on MCU1 cars? Don’t they have HW3 too?

MCU1 cars were built since the first production of model S though March of 2018. Probably not 0.2% of all Tesl’s run MCU1.
Not really what I said.

The combination of cars running HW3 AND MCU1 is microscopic compared to all other combos.

Last I checked, the percentage of cars running 2020.48.37.x was in the single digits. Source: teslafi

Those are the folks with MCU1/HW3....Running year old software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon20
Also, why would they would waste time on the 0.2% of cars that have MCU1/HW3? There's some major differences between those MCUs. Like, one works and one doesn't.

More like 0.8% according to TeslaFi. All those vehicles under AP3 that are still on 2020.x firmware are MCU1. To be fair, that may not be perfectly accurate, because it's possible that older cars are disproportionately represented in their numbers, but it is probably in the ballpark. So that's still probably O(10,000) vehicles.

More like 0.8% according to TeslaFi. All those vehicles under AP3 that are still on 2020.x firmware are MCU1. To be fair, that may not be perfectly accurate, because it's possible that older cars are disproportionately represented in their numbers, but it is probably in the ballpark. So that's still probably O(10,000) vehicles.
My 0.2% guess wasn't too far off then. Nice!

Has anyone has been able to get a response from Tesla when asking about the situation?
Been trying to get them on customer chat but not working.
Ordered mobile service for MCU2 upgrade tomorrow. Put in the notes that it should be free since it's required hardware for FSD Beta. And before anyone says, "but it's in beta and they only promised fully functional FSD", let me remind you...almost everything on this car is in Beta and has been for over 5 years. Including freaking windshield wipers. Lolz

Been trying to get them on customer chat but not working.
Ordered mobile service for MCU2 upgrade tomorrow. Put in the notes that it should be free since it's required hardware for FSD Beta. And before anyone says, "but it's in beta and they only promised fully functional FSD", let me remind you...almost everything on this car is in Beta and has been for over 5 years. Including freaking windshield wipers. Lolz
Im curious to know if you can actually get a mobile ranger to come out and replace the MCU for the upgrade......from how it was explained to me when I did it, its fairly long in nature because they have to make sure everything is working as far as software, they had my car for almost 2 days....

Im curious to know if you can actually get a mobile ranger to come out and replace the MCU for the upgrade......from how it was explained to me when I did it, its fairly long in nature because they have to make sure everything is working as far as software, they had my car for almost 2 days....
Yeah it always starts me out with mobile service. They usually look at it the day before (today) and then call or message me telling me to bring it in for service.

I really feel bad for the MCU1 folks. I'd imagine it will be quite a long time before they are able to allocate the resources to rewrite the code needed to be able to roll out FSD with the limited visuals. Maybe that's what is behind them working with John Carmack.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I really feel bad for the MCU1 folks. I'd imagine it will be quite a long time before they are able to allocate the resources to rewrite the code needed to be able to roll out FSD with the limited visuals. Maybe that's what is behind them working with John Carmack.
"All cars produced have the hardware needed...."

Geez MCU1 people. Take Tesla to Small claims or arbitration. If MCU2 is required (it clearly is), then they lied to you, and you should not need to pay $1500 to "upgrade".
There are even MCU1 cars still under warranty! Tesla sold you FSD, and it works on other cars, but not yours, and they know how to fix it, but refuse to without payment? What is a warranty for?

I remember being in this exact same position. I new that FSD was around the corner, and I remember asking my service advisor about the issues I was having with MCU1 and I remember him saying that any FSD stuff was probably not going to work with MCU1. I dont know if he knew that for certain or not but I agreed that unless Tesla voluntarily decided to pay for those folks needing the upgrade........which might be a while because at the time all they were doing was preparing to fix the eMMC chips, and that was all. I reluctantly decided to fork over the $1500 and just get the peace of mind....... All that being said, i also feel for them because dropping $1500 for something that was as important to FSD as it is was not an easy thing to do.