Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta & Hands On The Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for trying to put into words what you are going through tivoboy. Your description sounds exactly like what I am expecting when I get Tesla's invite to join. I wonder what it is about that particular stretch of road that is causing the improper FSD-Beta response? We may never know but it would be nice to have some additional information leading to the
problem -> understanding -> solution. Having some real world problem location so close at hand must feel odd testing it with every new version release. Thanks again.

And, on another note here is one that freaked me out today. I was parked, behind another car at a stop light. what is ODD is, the light was red for a long time. There was clearly a car in front of me, and well, you can see what the Tesla WANTED To do and TRIED to do three times, each time I stopped it (wheel turning right and car trying to accelerate around). The lane to my RIGHT was an ACTIVE lane with cars traveling at 35-40 MPH. Each time, I stopped the car, dis-engaged and then straightened it out and re-engaged. And EACH time it started to want to go AROUND this car in the front of me. IF I had let the go do what it wanted, I would have no back end of my M3 at the moment.

Yeah, I've noticed with non-FSD-beta builds, determining which traffic light applies to your lane can sometimes be dicey. I'm assuming it's the same code in both branches, so I'd expect it to have the same problems on the same intersections. It probably thought that your light was green.

I have definitely disengaged many times, just trying to "apply slight torque" in a curve...
maybe they could skip those confirmations during a turn - between GPS and vision they should be able to just ask before a turn - would be kinda safer anyways.

But either wa: It's kinda hard for me to tell if FSD is about to do something incredibly stupid, or if it's just doing a minor correction in a super jerky way. So I keep my hands on the wheel rather tight. So I accidentally disengage in some curves it would have probably handled just fine. But if there is no apparent reason for giving it a higher degree of freedom why would I?
There is one spot here: 35°48'01.6"N 78°39'56.1"W · 1101 Hobson Ct, Raleigh, NC 27607 where my model y just ignores all oncoming traffic and jerks left to get into that cul-de-sac.

I would wish there was an other way to confirm to the car that I'm still awake/present/in-charge sort of like a train drivers dead man switch.. maybe the audio wheel, one up & one down or something?

Sorry to revive an old thread, as someone from the RHD market, without ever experiencing FSD Beta and watching a number of Youtube videos of FSD Beta in the USA - does the vehicle still prompt you from touching the steering wheel?

I cannot really see clearly the car requesting to hold the steering wheel as the wheel is always on the move turning in and out of streets.

Sorry to revive an old thread, as someone from the RHD market, without ever experiencing FSD Beta and watching a number of Youtube videos of FSD Beta in the USA - does the vehicle still prompt you from touching the steering wheel?

I cannot really see clearly the car requesting to hold the steering wheel as the wheel is always on the move turning in and out of streets.
Yes the driver is still prompted but the prompting comes from the software and not the steering wheel. The screen starts to pulse blue in the upper left and honestly it's a little hard to notice at first but it becomes more noticeable as the timer approaches a FSD Beta disconnect by the system which will count as one of five allowed before FSD Beta access is revoked. I agree the videos are hard to see this. Just like Autopilot the software is expecting torque to be applied to the steering wheel periodically. Torque does not need to be applied constantly but rather just often enough to satisfy the safety operating parameters required by FSD Beta. Your curiosity is warranted because the videos are more centered around other things. I'd like to offer another insight which is driving with either Autopilot or FSD Beta causes the driver to add a new set of driving skills to their collection or skills. Driving FSD Beta is quite exhilarating but also requires much more supervision in crowded driving scenarios. Driver disconnects more often come with an uncomfortable amount of drama but because of the close supervision the driver performs the disconnect consciously but sometimes it also occurs subconsciously just like every other driving skill.

Last edited:

100% legal to buy and use here in the USA. Not sure about where you are.

100% legal to buy and use here in the USA. Not sure about where you are.
Please do not use these types of unauthorized devices designed to fool the Tesla Autopilot or FSD Beta software sensory input expectations. Plainly stated, it is irresponsible and dangerous to both the driver and other people. This point is not arguable. Tesla warns the driver each and every time the software is activated to keep their hands on the steering wheel at all times and be ready to take over the driving task. Also, insofar as FSD Beta is concerned, the steering wheel is capable of turning more than 180 degrees and the illegal weight would pose other unanticipated problems.

Reactions: tivoboy
Please do not use these types of unauthorized devices designed to fool the Tesla Autopilot or FSD Beta software sensory input expectations. Plainly stated, it is irresponsible and dangerous to both the driver and other people.
Where is your evidence to support your statement that with a driver paying FULL attention, hands off wheel is dangerous? Or are you making it up as you go along? Do you have ANY evidence that there has EVER been an accident that was caused by using a wheel weight device?

are you even aware that other car mfrs allow fully hands free versions of their autonomous driving systems, TODAY, on public roads?

If YOU dont want to use one, then dont. But for the many, many thousands who have purchased these and use them just fine, that's 100% their choice (at least in the USA). The driver is 100% responsible at ALL TIMES whether he has one of these on or not. Makes NO difference.

Bye.

Where is your evidence to support your statement that with a driver paying FULL attention, hands off wheel is dangerous? Or are you making it up as you go along? Do you have ANY evidence that there has EVER been an accident that was caused by using a wheel weight device?

are you even aware that other car mfrs allow fully hands free versions of their autonomous driving systems, TODAY, on public roads?

If YOU dont want to use one, then dont. But for the many, many thousands who have purchased these and use them just fine, that's 100% their choice (at least in the USA). The driver is 100% responsible at ALL TIMES whether he has one of these on or not. Makes NO difference.

Bye.
Carefully read all the documents you are required to agree to, to get and activate FSD beta. If you cannot uphold your side of the contract, you should request to be removed from the program. No harm, no foul.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Carefully read all the documents you are required to agree to, to get and activate FSD beta. If you cannot uphold your side of the contract, you should request to be removed from the program. No harm, no foul.
I imagine this is why the driver monitoring algorithm is now so much more sensitive because of usage of devices like these.

I am sure that telemetry would show the literally constant wheel weight and maybe those could be removed from FSD beta in the future.

I don't mean to be a nanny but Tesla probably it is frustrating to the drivers using the system as designed. We could still have camera monitoring only if people weren't pulling backseat stunts so often.

The fact that some percentage of people try to hack the system makes Tesla spend more resources programming the monitoring algo trying to keep the driver monitored. It also means that those of us without extra wheel weights now have to tug harder on the steering wheel, due to the multitude of fools trying to defeat Tesla driver monitoring system.

I imagine this is why the driver monitoring algorithm is now so much more sensitive because of usage of devices like these.

I am sure that telemetry would show the literally constant wheel weight and maybe those could be removed from FSD beta in the future.

I don't mean to be a nanny but Tesla probably it is frustrating to the drivers using the system as designed. We could still have camera monitoring only if people weren't pulling backseat stunts so often.

The fact that some percentage of people try to hack the system makes Tesla spend more resources programming the monitoring algo trying to keep the driver monitored. It also means that those of us without extra wheel weights now have to tug harder on the steering wheel, due to the multitude of fools trying to defeat Tesla driver monitoring system.
Tesla's have (and have had, for some time) coding that utilizes the drivers seat pressure sensor to detect presence of driver. Along with cabin camera.

Also note: Going back at least 5 years? People were using fruit or water bottles in the steering wheel for weights. Nothing new.

The perceived "driver monitoring algorithm" being more sensitive isnt proven. I know for a fact no updates have changed the way steering wheel weights successfully function.

Reactions: Ramphex