Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta has no vision persistence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sitting at a stoplight yesterday, looking at the visualization, when I realized that FSD Beta currently has not persistence of vision. When a vehicle is occluded (by another vehicle or something else), it temporarily loses track of that vehicle. This is also true for pedestrians and other objects. I think this may be why the FSD Beta software is hesitant to make turns (both right and left).

If I recall, I think in the last AI Day presentation, Tesla mentioned they are working on that, but it appears right now that capability is not available in the current version (10.3).

I was sitting at a stoplight yesterday, looking at the visualization, when I realized that FSD Beta currently has not persistence of vision. When a vehicle is occluded (by another vehicle or something else), it temporarily loses track of that vehicle. This is also true for pedestrians and other objects. I think this may be why the FSD Beta software is hesitant to make turns (both right and left).

If I recall, I think in the last AI Day presentation, Tesla mentioned they are working on that, but it appears right now that capability is not available in the current version (10.3).
Not so sure.

Today I was on a straight road at a T-junction. There were cars waiting to join the straight road. As I was approaching the intersection - a car went in the opposite direction, briefly occluding the cars waiting at the intersection. But the UI persisted those cars. I was watching closely to see if either the car would panick after the oncoming car passed or whether the car at the intersection would get adventurous and try to turn right infront of me.

I want a future FSD to track the driver's head of the car in front to predict movements... they look over their right shoulder, FSD anticipates a lane change as long as other ques confirm
I think you will be waiting a long time even if Tesla decides to do it. Just think how often you cannot see the drivers head in front of you? Most Tesla's for one!

I don't have FSD Beta, but how accurate does the visualization represent what the car actually sees? For regular builds, the visualization is unstable (for me), with adjacent cars and trucks moving between lanes (when they don't really) and disappearing and then reappearing. I think in some cases the car actually thinks an adjacent vehicle is in the wrong lane, which explains some of the unexpected braking, but I suspect at least some of those quirks are specific to the UI. I'm seeing this in a 2018 Model S running 2021.32.22, but it's not new behavior in that build.

Maybe the FSD Beta visualization is more accurate. With my safety score, I might never know. 🙁

Reset the safety score and drive good 100 miles and get the FSD beta.

I'll wait until the FSD Beta builds get a little better. Don't want to drive unnaturally just to get the Beta.

I'm going to start using a g-force meter app on my phone to find out why I keep getting dinged for hard braking and aggressive turning, when I don't think I'm doing either. Same is happening to my wife in her car. We both drive pretty conservatively.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I'll wait until the FSD Beta builds get a little better. Don't want to drive unnaturally just to get the Beta.

I'm going to start using a g-force meter app on my phone to find out why I keep getting dinged for hard braking and aggressive turning, when I don't think I'm doing either. Same is happening to my wife in her car. We both drive pretty conservatively.

It doesn't take much to exceed the g forces for those events. I've talked to tons of "conservative" drivers who aren't as conservative as they think. Phone app is def the way to go. You'll immediately get a feel for where the safety score boundaries are.

I just don’t know what to make of it or what to think. My wife is never in my car. Downloaded 10.3 the morning before the 10.3 fiasco, rollout, non-rollout, patch (which I missed), patch pull. Did an almost 200 mile round trip with who in the car? My wife and it was the 10.3 *sugar* show with multiple AEBs from 70-75 with locked up brakes and all. Scared the living $)@# out of my wife and she’s now sacred $@*#less of the Tesla after multiple throws against the seatbelt tensioner and locking up on the interstate from false AEBs. She refuses to get into it ever again. As well as 150 miles of FCWs every 30 seconds. I’m driving a 2018 (Sept) P3D+. HAD radar and loved FSD. Was on the fence with downloading Beta and “losing” my radar for Vision, nevertheless did it anyway. So I don’t know if it was just BETA being that bad or the loss of radar for VO or a combination of the two. I understand Elon says the 10.3 fiasco was the Power Saving glitch which they apparently patched. Downloaded the patch but haven’t driven since. I’m good with the Beta and testing for the mothership and advancement but not liking the loss of radar which is apparently the fork in the road for VO Elon’s taking.

Ski

Would it be OK to not turn this into another Safety Score thread? Thanks. :)

My opinion on the visualization is that it accurately portrays what the car is seeing. As much as I would like to believe there is an underlying layer a greater detail, I have not seen any evidence of it. I think the visualization is an accurate portrayal of the car’s perception.

In my opinion (maybe I’m mistaken), the radar was superior. When we had it Elon touted the fact that it could “bounce“ signals under not only THE car infront but reach the car in front of THAT car and possibly more. Not only that but I saw this in use, and it prevented several wrecks. So the Tesla “saw” what was happening several cars ahead without being able to actually “see” it by using the radar signal And taking appropriate action. How is Vision going to do that? It CANT until it sees the break lights of JUST the car in front of it. I fail to see how this is a step forward. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the technicalities of VO. The switch still baffles me.

Ski

Tesla wants to roll out the update to only the "Best of the Best" drivers, plus those that do not drive in challenging routes.

Most every driver considers themselves to being "superior" drivers, but in reality we are mostly all about average. We drive in the way we think is best, but often our thinking is biased :(

FSDbeta visualization shows so much. Cars, cyclist, pedestrians, and traffic signal (lights) all appear so much earlier than AP.

There's an occluded car ahead of the pick-up and FSDbeta shows it.
FSDbeta_vision.jpg

I don't have FSD Beta, but how accurate does the visualization represent what the car actually sees? For regular builds, the visualization is unstable (for me), with adjacent cars and trucks moving between lanes (when they don't really) and disappearing and then reappearing. I think in some cases the car actually thinks an adjacent vehicle is in the wrong lane, which explains some of the unexpected braking, but I suspect at least some of those quirks are specific to the UI. I'm seeing this in a 2018 Model S running 2021.32.22, but it's not new behavior in that build.

Maybe the FSD Beta visualization is more accurate. With my safety score, I might never know. 🙁

I want a future FSD to track the driver's head of the car in front to predict movements... they look over their right shoulder, FSD anticipates a lane change as long as other ques confirm
You're in Southern California and expect to see drivers' heads from behind? Welcome to tinted window hell. I certainly understand why cops hate tinted (all) windows (although they love giving tickets once they stop you). ;)

Reactions: gaswalla