Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Performance Summary after Two Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In two weeks I've gone from disappointed to relieved to (once) elated, now back to disappointed. The car commits numerous errors and I've had to intervene once or twice on almost every trip to prevent an accident. Examples: tried to turn right into a high speed traffic lane with oncoming traffic; turned right into the departure lane instead of taking the through lane, accelerated toward an impending crash; turned left into an ONCOMING left turn lane approaching a blind hill; three times tried to pass the car ahead in a merge situation when there was no room; turned right into a merge lane and accelerated toward the end without merging; tried to run a red light TWICE that it had honored earlier, likewise a stop sign; crept into a traffic lane full of clearly visible oncoming traffic; ran over a curb turning left, following another car that did the same thing; twice made a sudden, sharp swerve into a turning lane at cruising speed contrary to the nav plan.

I can accept the jerky turns, non-sensical lane changes, occasional indecision on whether to proceed, random turn signals, etc. But the car is making FUNDAMENTAL, DANGEROUS mistakes that should have been resolved before the software was put in the hands of Beta testers. Some of these mistakes, like failing to yield to a car ahead in a merge and running red lights/stop signs, were never made by the earlier version of "FSD" with Adaptive Cruise Control and Auto Steer. I used those features all the time on well-marked city streets and had full confidence that the car would merge properly and stop at red lights/stop signs. Now I have no confidence in what the car is going to do. Bottom line: not only is FSD Beta "not ready for prime time," it's really not ready for Beta testing either, and it's a step back from the earlier FSD in some respects. I'm disappointed (but maybe not surprised) that Tesla would put out such a faulty product for testing by non-professional drivers on public roads. That said, for now I'll continue to test it daily and send feedback via the camera icon, in the hope that the next version will be significantly improved as a result of all the feedback we're sending. I hope Tesla is really listening. If I don't see significant improvement in the next version, I may decide to opt out of the program and enjoy driving my car again!

Comments welcome.

Keep in mind it's a completely different beast. It's primarily Neural Net based. Where older implementations were code based. Problem is code based ran in to a wall with to many corner cases. It didn't scale nor adapt to different countries etc. The Neural Net stuff is not mature yet, but it should get there one of these days. Assuming the sensors are good enough (cameras) and the computer fast enough.

I was in the Queue recently since they started delivering FSD again. I had it on my previous car. I didn't seem to be getting any updates at all. So I opted out. Next day I got the latest version of regular updates.

I'll probably wait until I hear better reports.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
P.S.
Keep in mind it's a completely different beast. It's primarily Neural Net based. Where older implementations were code based. Problem is code based ran in to a wall with to many corner cases. It didn't scale nor adapt to different countries etc. The Neural Net stuff is not mature yet, but it should get there one of these days. Assuming the sensors are good enough (cameras) and the computer fast enough.

I was in the Queue recently since they started delivering FSD again. I had it on my previous car. I didn't seem to be getting any updates at all. So I opted out. Next day I got the latest version of regular updates.

I'll probably wait until I hear better reports.
Thanks, I guess that explains a lot of the erratic behavior. I'm not a software engineer, but there ought to be a way to program a rule that collision avoidance overrides all other factors, and another one that says, "Thou shalt not run a red light or a stop sign."

Question that may be related: the manual says there should be three forward facing cameras over the rear view mirror. I can only see one - where are the other two? I'm driving a 2020 Model X with SW version 10.12.2.

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
P.S.

Thanks, I guess that explains a lot of the erratic behavior. I'm not a software engineer, but there ought to be a way to program a rule that collision avoidance overrides all other factors, and another one that says, "Thou shalt not run a red light or a stop sign."
I can't speak to what visualization showed but it could've been a problem of perception. The software may not have perceived what you saw as stop signs or red (traffic) lights as being actually those and applicable to your vehicle.

P.S.

Question that may be related: the manual says there should be three forward facing cameras over the rear view mirror. I can only see one - where are the other two? I'm driving a 2020 Model X with SW version 10.12.2.
How does it know if the red light applies to your lane? What if the red light is an arrow? What does it do around yellow lights? What if it just turned yellow or it’s been yellow? How far and fast are you going from the the yellow light? What if the car in front stops for the yellow light? What if it’s a blinking red light? What does it do on right turn on red? Is there a sign no turn on red? What if the red light is on an overpass? What if the red light is on a emergency vehicle? What if the sun is next to the red light?

Now figure out if you should stop, given an array of a million colored dots, each dot can be 17 million colors.

Now go write the code to figure it out. Piece of cake.

Don’t you think if it was that simple they wouldn’t just do it?

There are 3 cameras in the rear view mirror assembly.

Last edited:
In two weeks I've gone from disappointed to relieved to (once) elated, now back to disappointed. The car commits numerous errors and I've had to intervene once or twice on almost every trip to prevent an accident. Examples: tried to turn right into a high speed traffic lane with oncoming traffic; turned right into the departure lane instead of taking the through lane, accelerated toward an impending crash; turned left into an ONCOMING left turn lane approaching a blind hill; three times tried to pass the car ahead in a merge situation when there was no room; turned right into a merge lane and accelerated toward the end without merging; tried to run a red light TWICE that it had honored earlier, likewise a stop sign; crept into a traffic lane full of clearly visible oncoming traffic; ran over a curb turning left, following another car that did the same thing; twice made a sudden, sharp swerve into a turning lane at cruising speed contrary to the nav plan.

I can accept the jerky turns, non-sensical lane changes, occasional indecision on whether to proceed, random turn signals, etc. But the car is making FUNDAMENTAL, DANGEROUS mistakes that should have been resolved before the software was put in the hands of Beta testers. Some of these mistakes, like failing to yield to a car ahead in a merge and running red lights/stop signs, were never made by the earlier version of "FSD" with Adaptive Cruise Control and Auto Steer. I used those features all the time on well-marked city streets and had full confidence that the car would merge properly and stop at red lights/stop signs. Now I have no confidence in what the car is going to do. Bottom line: not only is FSD Beta "not ready for prime time," it's really not ready for Beta testing either, and it's a step back from the earlier FSD in some respects. I'm disappointed (but maybe not surprised) that Tesla would put out such a faulty product for testing by non-professional drivers on public roads. That said, for now I'll continue to test it daily and send feedback via the camera icon, in the hope that the next version will be significantly improved as a result of all the feedback we're sending. I hope Tesla is really listening. If I don't see significant improvement in the next version, I may decide to opt out of the program and enjoy driving my car again!

Comments welcome.
maybe the camera system is inferior to lidar but in my option using the system for about 10 days every day it has a long way to go

Comments welcome.
IMO, it is too high maintenance to be practical. It generally works, and each version gets better for sure. But it doesn't detect road surface anomalies (pot holes), and we still have tons of those. Part of the problem, is the route choices it makes are often quite dumb. If it weren't for auto park and the highway features, I would not include it. I do hope EAP comes back. But I am picking up today, and pretty sure it will not be there for me. So I am in for the whole shebang.

When I bought my M3 performance in February, I could not find a compelling reason to spend $12,000 for FSD, which has yet to be perfected. At most, the monthly subscription seemed more attractive, but honestly Tesla should be giving the beta out for free for those willing to test it for them. There is stress and danger involved in testing beta, so why would one subject themselves to that and pay for it?