Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Performance Summary Week 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the third week of testing FSD Beta 10.12.2 in my 2020 Model X, the software continues to perform erratically, unpredictably, and sometimes dangerously. I average six to seven interventions per 15-20 minute trip. It does well on some turns but requires intervention on at least half for various reasons: attempting to turn in front of crossing traffic; swerving toward opposite direction traffic during a turn. reluctance/refusal to enter the intersection which is obviously clear; turning in the opposite direction to the nav plan; often accelerating MUCH too fast into and out of the turn; entering intersection, then getting confused and failing to make turn (twice recently); erratic, in a third of turns, jerky, erratic steering wheel movements that sometimes require intervention.

Merging performance is likewise erratic and sometimes dangerous: turning into a short merge lane and accelerating toward a barrier with no conflicting traffic and no action to move to through lane (five times out of five tests at same intersection); failing to yield to traffic in through lane; trying to go around stopped traffic to the right just as our lane was ending; stopping at the beginning of the highway merge lane; with no conflicting traffic; going all the way to the end of the highway merge lane before finally moving to the traffic lane lane.

On the plus side, the car slowed for a speed bump, yielded properly to another vehicle in a traffic circle; slowed for a jogger crossing in front of us; and negotiated single and 2-lane traffic circles without difficulty (after stopping at entrance). It hasn't tried to run any red lights since one event a couple of weeks ago, and only once failed to honor a stop sign this week.

As a test driver, I have learned to not only be prepared for anything, but to default to intervention if there is any question of safety. Once I allowed the car to turn and accelerate rapidly into a narrow lane, waiting too long to take control. Fortunately there were no obstacles in the lane. One wants to see if the car will manage the situation properly (in this case, by slowing down), but it often doesn't do so. In another case, the car waited too late to get in the crowded turn lane for a right turn. At the last minute it jumped in front of another car and made the turn. Naturally we earned an angry honk, although there was no risk of collision. I've learned to take control earlier in such situations.

Despite the frequent frustrating and disappointing mistakes, I really enjoy using FSD Beta when it works well, as it often does. Testing it safely and effectively is certainly a challenge, but seems worth the effort and stress for now.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.47.25 PM.png

(TMC Staff: image added for use in Blog feed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that mirrors my experience in Cincinnati. For whatever reason the roads around where I live are super challenging for FSD. There are times where it is like watching someone else drive your car. Yet there are others where it is like watching your 21yo drive your car, while on instagram. It is steadily getting fewer of the 'what the hell are you doing' moments in the cabin, though still too many to use it like I use NOA.

The key is to recognize FSD for what it is now and treat it as such.

On the plus side, the car slowed for a speed bump, yielded properly to another vehicle in a traffic circle; slowed for a jogger crossing in front of us; and negotiated single and 2-lane traffic circles without difficulty (after stopping at entrance). It hasn't tried to run any red lights since one event a couple of weeks ago, and only once failed to honor a stop sign this week.
I use FSD on city streets partially, usually with no destination selected. It handles traffic signals fine on busy streets, which makes high traffic conditions tolerable, even if I am not making much progress. I am anxious to get back on the FSD wagon with my new 2022. Problem partially is the routing choices are terrible. I wish I could record and recall a route. This is mainly due to the fact that I know my own neighborhood far better than autopilot. It also does not detect potholes, which are quite a challenge near my house. Highway features are great. Each release brings an improvement.

Reactions: ajherran
I use FSD on city streets partially, usually with no destination selected. It handles traffic signals fine on busy streets, which makes high traffic conditions tolerable, even if I am not making much progress. I am anxious to get back on the FSD wagon with my new 2022. Problem partially is the routing choices are terrible. I wish I could record and recall a route. This is mainly due to the fact that I know my own neighborhood far better than autopilot. It also does not detect potholes, which are quite a challenge near my house. Highway features are great. Each release brings an improvement.
And of course NOW Enhanced Autopilot is available again. I would have bought that for 6,000 (or maybe 5,000) instead of 10,000 for FSD <sigh>. I mainly wanted Autopark and NoA w auto lane-change.

Reactions: ajherran
When I bought my M3 performance in February, I could not find a compelling reason to spend $12,000 for FSD, which has yet to be perfected. At most, the monthly subscription seemed more attractive, but honestly Tesla should be giving the beta out for free for those willing to test it for them. There is stress and danger involved in testing beta, so why would one subject themselves to that and pay for it?

Reactions: alangold
In the third week of testing FSD Beta 10.12.2 in my 2020 Model X, the software continues to perform erratically, unpredictably, and sometimes dangerously. I average six to seven interventions per 15-20 minute trip. It does well on some turns but requires intervention on at least half for various reasons: attempting to turn in front of crossing traffic; swerving toward opposite direction traffic during a turn. reluctance/refusal to enter the intersection which is obviously clear; turning in the opposite direction to the nav plan; often accelerating MUCH too fast into and out of the turn; entering intersection, then getting confused and failing to make turn (twice recently); erratic, in a third of turns, jerky, erratic steering wheel movements that sometimes require intervention.

Merging performance is likewise erratic and sometimes dangerous: turning into a short merge lane and accelerating toward a barrier with no conflicting traffic and no action to move to through lane (five times out of five tests at same intersection); failing to yield to traffic in through lane; trying to go around stopped traffic to the right just as our lane was ending; stopping at the beginning of the highway merge lane; with no conflicting traffic; going all the way to the end of the highway merge lane before finally moving to the traffic lane lane.

As a test driver, I have learned to not only be prepared for anything, but to default to intervention if there is any question of safety. Once I allowed the car to turn and accelerate rapidly into a narrow lane, waiting too long to take control. Fortunately there were no obstacles in the lane. One wants to see if the car will manage the situation properly (in this case, by slowing down), but it often doesn't do so. In another case, the car waited too late to get in the crowded turn lane for a right turn. At the last minute it jumped in front of another car and made the turn. Naturally we earned an angry honk, although there was no risk of collision. I've learned to take control earlier in such situations.

Despite the frequent frustrating and disappointing mistakes, I really enjoy using FSD Beta when it works well, as it often does. Testing it safely and effectively is certainly a challenge, but seems worth the effort and stress for now.

View attachment 820288
Yep, yep, and yep. Pretty much reflects my experience in four weeks of trying it in Denver. Plenty of boneheaded decisions plus its inability to execute a smooth turn even in "severe clear" circumstances.

View attachment 820288
Very well said. My experience parallels yours. Watching the Robo taxis in San Francisco run by GM shows what it could. be.

Since I've got the FSD Beta Autopark does not seem to work. That is, no matter how I position my car, it does not offer the "P" Autopark icon anymore. This is only for back-in parking. I don't have any convenient places to test parallel park. Has anyone else gotten Autopark with FSD Beta? Any tricks?

I'll check it out on mine and let you know.
Tried Autopark today. It worked as poorly as usual - recognizes less than half of valid parallel parking spots, despite creeping by at close quarters, which I've learned is the secret. It seems to recognize back-in spots pretty well. The car did manage to perform one successful back-in and (eventually) one successful parallel Autopark.

Tried Autopark today. It worked as poorly as usual - recognizes less than half of valid parallel parking spots, despite creeping by at close quarters, which I've learned is the secret. It seems to recognize back-in spots pretty well. The car did manage to perform one successful back-in and (eventually) one successful parallel Autopark.
Thanks for checking. I’ll try it again.

Went shopping this AM. So I said let FSD take me home. Simple. Westbound for a few miles then left turn and southbound. Easy right. I get to the left turn and there is at least a 100 ft left turn lane with yellow arrows. What does the car do? Signal left and stay behind car going straight with may 20 feet of turn lane left. Had to take over. Pitiful. Forget the Chuck left hand turn. How about a simple left with turn lane with a green left arrow light.

I also have a left turn to rival Chuck left. 2 lanes each direction. I have to take a picture and upload it. Car could not do it. Almost drove into oncoming car

Here's an update to my previous post with an attached picture. What you see is a picture without southbound traffic waiting at a red light and on the left northbound traffic. The southbound 2 lanes sometimes get more backed up with more southbound traffic. Also some cars do exit from the road adjacent to the electric pole. When the light turns green northbound starts moving southbound starts moving with more southbound cars coming. Tesla basically freezes. It ALMOST turned left onto northbound traffic. So Chuck's left hand turn could be done blind folded. My left hand turn is an effort even for a human driver

Attachments

• 20220807_134325.jpg
    20220807_134325.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 161