Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta : "poor weather detected" in rain - apply RainX ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having lived in 2 decades in a western state with a lot of rain, I've never seen any kind of road signs like you say.

I'd like to see any links to "experts" saying "you are *never* supposed to use any type of cruise control, TACC, auto pilot or FSD in rainy or snowy weather on any car". If not, it is just your opinion - which is fine. But when you start saying thats what "experts" say, you have to produce evidence.
Well, this is a forum on the internet…. I’m not publishing a paper for peer review…. But I’ve produced evidence below if that makes everyone happy.

That being said….

I don’t know where you live but…. Interstates in Colorado often flash signs when snow and rain are happening to take your car out of cruise control. When I lived in Fort Collins these were prevalent in winter on I25 and I70. You will also see this on Interstate 80 in WY where I lived for 8 years prior to FOCO and then SFNM. I believe I’ve seen this in KS, NE and SD as well but wont swear to that. My highlander and tundra both say very clearly in the owners manual not to use crsuse control in rain and snow conditions. I can take a picture of the tundra OM if you like. I traded the highlander on the MY so you won’t get that one... Both of these vehicles can and do accelerate very hard in corners and on hills when cruise in engaged… Even the smart cruise control has this characteristic in Toyotas and in my previous Audi and Lexus vehicles. It’s just not safe and you should not do it.

A quick google search finds advice from AAA. On the topic. I’d classify them as expert.

or Allstate insurance also probably has some expertise in this space and experience in what happens if you don’t use common sense.

or, or, or…. You can find more if you like with an easy search. More importantly I’d say you can’t find anything from a reputable source saying it’s okay to use cruise in inclement weather. It’s also common sense and something my father thought me when I was learning to drive in WI. I’d classify him as an expert being a fireman and EMT for 30 years driving large fire truck and ambulances. Besides, if dad said it, it’s true…. That last sentence was supposed to be funny just so we’re clear.

Like I said, you can agree or disagree but the fact is that it’s dangerous. Experts do say so. I don’t want to argue or have a pissing contest about this so everyone, please, do as you like and disregard sound advice from experts. That works so well in so many other aspects in our society today, why not keep it up!

Have a great day…

@SFNM Jack Thanks for the links.

On wet roads, cruise control set at too fast a speed could cause the vehicle to hydroplane when it encounters standing water.​
They are not saying don’t use CC at all. Ofcourse you have to set lower speed. None of them say anything about AP or FSD, ofcourse.

Personally I find AP excellent at keeping to the lane in rain at night. Ofcourse I set the speed lower than max in those conditions. I use it as ADAS all the time.

Snow is different - I don’t normally drive in snow, but when I’m forced to 2 or 3 times a year, I don’t use AP.

Reactions: SFNM Jack

On wet roads, cruise control set at too fast a speed could cause the vehicle to hydroplane when it encounters standing water.​
They are not saying don’t use CC at all. Ofcourse you have to set lower speed. None of them say anything about AP or FSD, ofcourse.

Personally I find AP excellent at keeping to the lane in rain at night. Ofcourse I set the speed lower than max in those conditions. I use it as ADAS all the time.

Snow is different - I don’t normally drive in snow, but when I’m forced to 2 or 3 times a year, I don’t use AP.
I used to feel better using AP in the rain, especially because of the radar. Now that has been pulled by FSD beta I'm not sure I feel as confident in it.

For the RainX thing - I've used it on the windshield for most winters without any issue but usually skip the camera area.
This is the first winter on vision AP though.

Reactions: SFNM Jack

Thanks guys…. I do think you’re cherry picking a bit but that’s cool.

I’ll just add, searching for the last 10 minutes I have been unable to find anyone, anywhere in the web that’s says it’s a good idea to use any kind of automated speed control tools in wet or snowy conditions. Think about it next time you switch it on…. If you find something that counters my point please share it.

Reactions: Purralator
Thanks guys…. I do think you’re cherry picking a bit but that’s cool.

I’ll just add, searching for the last 10 minutes I have been unable to find anyone, anywhere in the web that’s says it’s a good idea to use any kind of automated speed control tools in wet or snowy conditions. Think about it next time you switch it on…. If you find something that counters my point please share it.
That is mostly because people are dumb and AAA and (ofcourse insurers, who prefer that you don’t drive at all) doesn’t want to encourage what could be bad behavior. Almost everyone drives too fast when it’s raining.

Basically there is little difference between us driving manually at 35 mph vs CC at 35 mph when it’s raining. But then, that is dumb CC that all these guys are talking about.

AP is different and I haven’t seen any stats on that.

It's fine, let the guy figure it out the hard way just for the sake of trying to prove his car is Uber cool. Darwin always comes around. I just really hope others reading those comments don't put themselves into a false sense of security during poor weather just cause someone on the internet said it's super safe and anything that disagrees is just in it for the money.

If you've been driving long enough most people know to not engage cruise control or any automated driving systems in poor weather. They are not designed in anyway to deal with loss of traction and make such a scenario magnitudes worse.

Good luck, stay safe