Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Program Basics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017S75MCU2HW3FSD (I will be getting the complimentary camera upgrades once the MCU2/HW3 upgrade is complete) -Can someone please explain the FSD Beta Program? How does it work? How does one join? Is it required to receive FSD updates? What benefits are there to be in the program? Is there any downside to be in the program? How does one exit the program? Is there a penalty for exiting? Any other info would be appreciated. TIA

Last edited:
2017S75MCU2HW3FSD (I will be getting the complimentary camera upgrades once the MCU2/HW3 upgrade is complete) -Can someone please explain the FSD Beta Program? How does it work? How does one join? Is it required to receive FSD updates? What benefits are there to be in the program? Is there any downside to be in the program? How does one exit the program? Is there a penalty for exiting? Any other info would be appreciated. TIA
If you paid for FSD, you'll get all the FSD updates that are not specific to the Beta program (those special features seem to be related to FSD in city driving). To be included in the Beta program, you need to have an excellent score on your Tesla App "Safety Score", which you request via a registration button from your Tesla's screen. "Excellent" is a moving target, but I think currently that's a score of 98-100 (I haven't qualified, yet, either).

Reactions: Dcam
...Is it required to receive FSD updates?..
No, you don't have to join to receive FSD, you just have to buy/rent. Note FSD without the word "beta" is not the same as FSD beta.

Yes, you do have to join to receive FSD beta.

What benefits are there to be in the program?
You can get FSD beta which is City Streets feature that can stop and go at street signals on its own and turn left and right at intersections on its own: It's just like Navigation on Autopilot but in City Streets.

Is there any downside to be in the program?
It's not as stable so you might get into accidents if you don't react to override it fast enough.
How does one exit the program?
You can e-mail your intention.
Is there a penalty for exiting?
You'll have to start all over again and wait.

While on the topic of FSD Beta, if you get it, does it improve any of the FSD/AP features (beside FSD on city streets)? Like Navigate on AP. I am guess it does not, but wanted to ask.
No, although you will likely see some changes if you're in the beta when they merge to a single stack (the mythical v11 upgrade). At that point, FSD Beta will always be in control of AP when engaged, for better or worse. I emphasize this because at least initially it will almost certainly be worse on the highway than standard AP/NoAP, but will (hopefully) improve quickly as well. The latest release date for v11 is supposedly April, so you can maybe expect it by Christmas :)

Reactions: Dcam and BobHinden
Can someone please explain the FSD Beta Program?

FSD Beta is the latest FSD software, that is designed to drive on city streets, that Tesla is currently testing. Tesla has a program where Tesla owners get access to FSD Beta on their cars, so that they can provide feedback and help Tesla with testing.

How does it work?

FSD Beta is activated with double tap of the stalk like AP. The big difference is that the car will use the FSD Beta stack instead of the AP stack. So you will see the advanced FSD Beta visualization on the screen and the car will navigate a route on city streets. FSD Beta can auto lane change on city streets to pass slow traffic and follow a route, similar to how NOA does auto lane changes on highways. FSD beta can also respond to stop signs and traffic lights without driver confirmation. FSD Beta can also automatically take left and right turns at intersections to follow a route and go around parked cars etc...

How does one join?

Get a safety score above 98 and then wait. Tesla picks you whenever they decide to.

Is it required to receive FSD updates?

No. If you paid for FSD, you will get the FSD updates, regardless of whether you have FSD Beta or not. You will just have to wait for whenever Tesla does a general release of a FSD feature.

What benefits are there to be in the program?

You get to be among the first to test the most cutting edge FSD software version that Tesla is working on.

Is there any downside to be in the program?

You will not get the latest "regular" updates as quickly since you are on a separate software update path.

How does one exit the program?

There is a button on the screen that you can press to exit.

Is there a penalty for exiting? Any other info would be appreciated. TIA

It might be hard to get back in if you exit.

Other info: FSD Beta is very "beta". It requires constant driver supervision and currently does not drive as well as a human in my experience. But it is getting better. If you like testing cutting edge "beta" software and don't mind the bugs and issues, you will like it.

Reactions: Dewg
While on the topic of FSD Beta, if you get it, does it improve any of the FSD/AP features (beside FSD on city streets)? Like Navigate on AP. I am guess it does not, but wanted to ask.

No. You get more features like automatic turns at intersections in the city but whatever existing feature you have with FSD/AP will not be improved at least for now.

That means: FSD/AP still can collide with stationary obstacles as of 3/7/2022 and FSD beta can also: No improvement on collision avoidance feature.

Reactions: BobHinden
One other note about joining the beta program.

Your car will operate on VISION ONLY-- even on the highway. (much like all newer ones do even without the beta)

Which may may behavior worse in some cases.... for example your top speed on AP will be limited to 80 instead of 90, and your minimum follow distance will be limited to 2 instead of 1.

Some folks report generally better highway behavior otherwise with vision.... others report generally worse highway behavior with vision only- so YMMV.

Reactions: BobHinden
Diplomat33 stated that I would join FSD beta by a double tap on the stalk. I do this already to enter AP already, but I don’t want to use FSD beta. How can I be sure that I will not be put in the beta program without knowing?
Do you have Beta Beta? If you don't want Beta to activate then you turn it off in the Menu.

IMG_0113D.jpeg