Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Pulls Out Cutting Off Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When there is oncoming traffic, and I’m making a turn, the beta will sometimes start to go when a car is coming to the point where the other car has to slow down to prevent from hitting me. Is this normal? It seems to be misjudging how fast the cars are coming.

When there is oncoming traffic, and I’m making a turn, the beta will sometimes start to go when a car is coming to the point where the other car has to slow down to prevent from hitting me. Is this normal? It seems to be misjudging how fast the cars are coming.

Yes. FSD Beta is not 100% reliable. That is why you need to always be vigilant.

I understand both responses, but I was more wondering if others are experiencing this as well or my judgment of how fast the cars are coming is not as good as the cars judgment?
It did the same thing to me this morning (really the first time since .2). Medium speed UPL that gave up in the middle of the lane because of cross traffic. Had to take over and drive it into the median turning lane and wait for traffic to clear. It also creeped pretty far, but still comfortable. Furthest I've ever seen it creep forward.

I do not believe HW3 is capable of making this truly comfortable — it’s always a nail biter for me, with hands firmly on the wheel and foot hovering over the brake. HW4 will almost certainly solve. The car needs better views of what’s coming a LONG way down the road when turning from a side street onto a thoroughfare.

or my judgment of how fast the cars are coming is not as good as the cars judgment?
your judgement is better than the car's. It tried to do the same thing to me as well. Tried to merge onto a road from a yield position, and started accelerating right as another car was coming down the same lane. Would've rear-ended me at 40mph if i hadn't slammed the brakes.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Normal, seems dangerous and as stated you have to really pay attention and be in control.

"Can do the worst thing at the wrong time." You are driving, in control and MUST be proactive and intervene before it makes unsafe maneuvers.
This is true even when using NoA from the non-Beta builds. For example, the other day NoA wanted me to change lanes to the left even though I was in the leftmost lane on an interstate, next to a grass median. The interstate had not been reconfigured recently. That’s why I never disabled lane change confirmations for NoA.