Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD BETA re-number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it upsets me that based on the numbering FSD Beta 5 was the 5th build pushed out to the fleet and Elon made the claims that 10 or 11 would be pushed to the full EAP customers. They released it as 10.1 and then renamed it. I dont see any logic except buying time and its very frustrating since the rest of us want it as well. Is there any reasonable way to explain it except that it's being shady.

So it upsets me that based on the numbering FSD Beta 5 was the 5th build pushed out to the fleet and Elon made the claims that 10 or 11 would be pushed to the full EAP customers. They released it as 10.1 and then renamed it. I dont see any logic except buying time and its very frustrating since the rest of us want it as well. Is there any reasonable way to explain it except that it's being shady.

The only innocent explanation that I can come up with is that the original integer system was leading to inflation. They were already at FSD 10 in just a couple months and still not at full EAP yet. At that rate, it would be FSD 20 before they go to full EAP and FSD 50 before it goes wide to the whole fleet. So Elon switched to a more sensible numbering system where they can go in smaller increments.

But I can see how it looks like totally moving the goalposts. Basically, Elon saw that they were going to miss his target of 10 or 11 so he pulled it back a few versions to give themselves a couple more "free" versions before they hit his target again.

Reactions: Microterf and HighZ
Honestly I think the "FSD Beta" was more of a marketing ploy. Pushed out to mainly influencers as a way to get people interested in buying FSD.

I get that there is "Elon time" (something that fortunately has gotten a bit better overall recently), and that while delayed, Elon does eventually deliver what he says he will, but at times he REALLY over-promises things, and FSD has to be the leading example. I was thumbing through an article in a CHARGED magazine issue from 2016 where Elon had promised his LA to NY drive by the end of 2017. We all know how that turned out.

I get it: at that point in Tesla's evolution they certainly didn't have the luxury of being able to dedicate massive resources to developing FSD without getting significant buy-in from people willing to put money down on it. I would say that that's not necessarily the case today, but to a certain extent, Elon is still acting as if it was.

I work with someone who is a lot like Elon. He has brilliant ideas and he creates this plan and that plan and shows these plans to customers hoping to get funding, but he completely overestimates the difficulties in producing what he is promising. If he can't see the potential hurdles, they simply don't exist to him. There is certainly a place for people like him and Elon in the world. Having big dreams like this is what moves us toward solving these really hard problems. But I'm afraid Elon has completely underestimated the difficulty in getting a really usable FSD capability out there. There is a huge long tail of corner cases they need to solve before FSD isn't just a gimmick that works 99% of the time, but you still have to take control occasionally at undetermined times, so that pretty much means you have to babysit it anyway.

I bought FSD back during one of the early fire sales, so I too am waiting for it, but I honestly doubt it will be released soon. I will be pleasantly surprised if it is, but even then I doubt it will really allow unattended driving for a few more years.