Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta - Regaining lost FSD Beta privileges?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
I leant my Plaid FSD Model X to someone who did all the wrong things and lost all my FSD Beta privileges, and an "access would be restored with an upcoming software release" message appeared. What can I do to get them back? (I mean my FSD Beta, not the person I leant it to.)

My bad for not giving them better instructions in a spur of the moment situation, and I guess they weren't minding the hands on the wheel nags or something.

I enjoyed FSD for the months I got to use it, and I think the 5 strikes and your out is pretty reasonable.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I leant my Plaid FSD Model X to someone who did all the wrong things and lost all my FSD Beta privileges, and an "access would be restored with an upcoming software release" message appeared. What can I do to get them back? (I mean my FSD Beta, not the person I leant it to.)

My bad for not giving them better instructions in a spur of the moment situation, and I guess they weren't minding the hands on the wheel nags or something.

I enjoyed FSD for the months I got to use it, and I think the 5 strikes and your out is pretty reasonable.
Unknown timing. Tesla randomly restored the privilege from time to time but you might need to wait a long time. There's nothing you can do to speed it up.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
I am very curious as to how many people who paid and qualified for FSD are now locked out? Tesla quotes a large number of people using Beta but I think the numbers are much smaller because so many people have been erroneously locked out. I am suffering from many false "Hands-on defeat device detected" error messages.

Interesting. Prior to yesterday I got my 1st "ding" on FSD about a month ago. Probably rightly so.

BUT, yesterday I was driving on the highway with my eyes on the road and hand on the wheel. It warned me twice to add pressure and each time I did so immediately. When it warned the 3rd time, it then "dinged" me for my 2nd time (used 2nd of 5). Tesla can review the video. Yet I complied in every way except apparently not enough pressure on the wheel.

SO, my plan is to stop using FSD unless I am on a long trip when it is more useful. I had been using it on both local & long distance drives but no longer can support the testing. Paid a LOT of $ for it and need to wait until it is more stable and able to understand when the driver is complying.

• Love
l. It warned me twice to add pressure and each time I did so immediately. When it warned the 3rd time, it then "dinged" me for my 2nd time (used 2nd of 5). Tesla can review the video. Yet I complied in every way except apparently not enough pressure on the wheel.

Do you have the video?

Anyway, if the nag doesn’t clear, you haven’t cleared the nag. It needs to go away otherwise you will be in trouble after it does the fast flashing and the beeping.

Just keep wiggling the wheel harder and harder and disengage is necessary. After some time you get used to the amount needed to not disengage.

It’s a silly system since with the cabin camera data and other info, it is usually easily possible to tell if you’ve got hands on the wheel (even though neither hands nor wheel are visible to the camera). One of these days they’ll just detect that properly and minimize the nagging.

Is there still a '5 strikes rule' in 44.30.5? The release notes just say a forced disengagement is a 2 week suspension. Does that really mean it's suspended for two weeks after your 5th strike or after any strike?

I've had FSDb for over a year now and never received a strike with nearly daily use - not planning on starting now - just curious.

Yes after three strikes you will be kicked out of Beta FSD and than have to wait to get it back.It could be months or weeks before you get it back.New update 2022.40.30.10 just came out and after uploading it,I got out of jail.I was lucky to get my Beta FSD privilege back just after 6 weeks.Once you get this update,hopefully you will be out of jail.Good luck.

Yes after three strikes you will be kicked out of Beta FSD and than have to wait to get it back.It could be months or weeks before you get it back.New update 2022.40.30.10 just came out and after uploading it,I got out of jail.I was lucky to get my Beta FSD privilege back just after 6 weeks.Once you get this update,hopefully you will be out of jail.Good luck.
So, now that FSD is available to anyone that paid for it, is it still "beta" and can it be "taken away" from you after purchase? Inquiring owners want to know......

I had 4/5 strikes. Surprisingly with the last update (current) version they were all cleared and I have no dings.

This has only happened one time before back when they had out of 3 and I had 2 before an update reset.

It’s not common to get resets with each version.

Is your basic highway autosteer still available while being kicked out?

I paid the $12,000 for FSD(don’t forget to say “beta”) to help me get to and from my chemotherapy treatments every week 150 miles from home. On the first trip home, the stupid thing tripped off “with prejudice” with no warning - at not one I saw (my eyes were on the road, not the screen). I stopped the car and initiated a new trip to get it back. When the sun went down, I tried to open the glovebox by voice command to put my sunglasses away but it couldn’t understand my California accent. So I touched the screen to open it manually and the FSDb kicked off again immediately. So now I have two strikes against me in less than 150 miles. Tried it again on the next drive and got my third involuntary disconnect with no prior warning (that I saw - eyes on road, not screen. Pretty sure I’m not going much farther without getting locked out “permanently.” What a colossal ripoff. Wish I could get my money back. Reconsidering my Cybertruck order.

I paid the $12,000 for FSD(don’t forget to say “beta”) to help me get to and from my chemotherapy treatments every week 150 miles from home. On the first trip home, the stupid thing tripped off “with prejudice” with no warning - at not one I saw (my eyes were on the road, not the screen). I stopped the car and initiated a new trip to get it back. When the sun went down, I tried to open the glovebox by voice command to put my sunglasses away but it couldn’t understand my California accent. So I touched the screen to open it manually and the FSDb kicked off again immediately. So now I have two strikes against me in less than 150 miles. Tried it again on the next drive and got my third involuntary disconnect with no prior warning (that I saw - eyes on road, not screen. Pretty sure I’m not going much farther without getting locked out “permanently.” What a colossal ripoff. Wish I could get my money back. Reconsidering my Cybertruck order.
Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that you are experiencing a software or hardware issue? There are hundreds of thousands of people using FSD Beta, and I can assure you your experience is a-typical.

I encourage you to press the voice button and say "bug report" when you experience these issues and then open a service ticket referencing the report date/time. Let the techs analyze the telemetry and see what's happening. You may have a faulty FSD computer, bad cameras, or software corruption that can be solved with a reinstall.

Thank you for that info - I was unaware of the “Bug Report” option. I am going to setup my iPhone to shoot over my shoulder, maybe on a seat back, so it can record the actual warning sequence, even if I miss it. I have also learned that I can have the alerts set to vibrate as well as print to the screen, so I’ll do that next drive, too. It is unfortunate that The messages pop up right behind where my right hand rests on the wheel. I am wondering if I did not see the initial warning in time to take corrective action because of that.

Thank you for that info - I was unaware of the “Bug Report” option. I am going to setup my iPhone to shoot over my shoulder, maybe on a seat back, so it can record the actual warning sequence, even if I miss it. I have also learned that I can have the alerts set to vibrate as well as print to the screen, so I’ll do that next drive, too. It is unfortunate that The messages pop up right behind where my right hand rests on the wheel. I am wondering if I did not see the initial warning in time to take corrective action because of that.
Definitely take that video and post it - there are virtually no videos showing people getting strikes. I am curious how it happens (inadvertently - obviously videos of intentional strikes aren’t too interesting).