Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Revocation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't get it. I am a good driver, no accidents or tickets in many years. What can someone expect with a 85 score that is a result of driving on a congested freeway with people who can't stand to see more than a car length before they cut in. I have mine set at 7 car lengths and still can't get above 90. I paid for the FSD and how long will Tesla string out the beta as an excuse to not give it to those who paid for it with a score below 90?
When you are on AP, things don't count against your score - the follow distance setting is irrelevant. It even doesn't count the 3 seconds after AP disengages. So if someone cuts in front of you and you have to slam on the brakes (which disengages AP), if you get the gap big enough in 3s or re-engage AP within 3s, no foul.

What I have found is exactly this:
Use AP at every possible opportunity. That’s the only thing that worked for me.
I live in LA and the tricky part is merging onto the freeway because you have to be above 50 mph (which is when follow distance counts) and a 1-car gap is all you can hope for. So... as I approach 50mph, I identify the gap I'm going to merge into and basically engage AP and let the the car merge into the gap. For exiting, I slow down with the scroll wheel to let the car in front build up more than 1s of time lead then disengage and exit.

Also, if you _do_ have a day where someone momentary causes you to get a close-follow ding... you can just drive for a few min with ~2s gap in front (if you can find a place to do this) because your score is the ratio of time with a car < 1s in front of you over the time with a car 1-3s ahead of you.

In reality, rush hour is your friend here because anything less than 50mph, follow distance is not counted.

As others have said, it's a game that has rules. If you know the rules, you can maximize your score.

When you are on AP, things don't count against your score - the follow distance setting is irrelevant. It even doesn't count the 3 seconds after AP disengages. So if someone cuts in front of you and you have to slam on the brakes (which disengages AP), if you get the gap big enough in 3s or re-engage AP within 3s, no foul.

What I have found is exactly this:

I live in LA and the tricky part is merging onto the freeway because you have to be above 50 mph (which is when follow distance counts) and a 1-car gap is all you can hope for. So... as I approach 50mph, I identify the gap I'm going to merge into and basically engage AP and let the the car merge into the gap. For exiting, I slow down with the scroll wheel to let the car in front build up more than 1s of time lead then disengage and exit.

Also, if you _do_ have a day where someone momentary causes you to get a close-follow ding... you can just drive for a few min with ~2s gap in front (if you can find a place to do this) because your score is the ratio of time with a car < 1s in front of you over the time with a car 1-3s ahead of you.

In reality, rush hour is your friend here because anything less than 50mph, follow distance is not counted.

As others have said, it's a game that has rules. If you know the rules, you can maximize your score.
A one-car gap at 50mph seems like a bit too close for me…and I thought Miami traffic was bad!

I really don't get it. I am a good driver, no accidents or tickets in many years. What can someone expect with a 85 score that is a result of driving on a congested freeway with people who can't stand to see more than a car length before they cut in. I have mine set at 7 car lengths and still can't get above 90. I paid for the FSD and how long will Tesla string out the beta as an excuse to not give it to those who paid for it with a score below 90?
Even if you got into the FSD beta tomorrow, you would NOT be getting the FSD that you paid for; you'd be getting extra responsibility and a more challenging driving experience. The current state of the FSD beta is that it's flaky. I wouldn't even call it a driver-assistance technology at this point; it's an AI system that's still learning to drive, and by joining the beta program, you've agreed to be this flaky student driver's teacher. Keep that in mind as you evaluate whether you want it at all -- to get it now, you'll be paying more, in the form of more stressful drives. I don't know for sure, but my suspicion is that the current software is increasing the risk of accidents, too. Yes, I know, it's the shiny new technology that technology geeks want to try out; that's why I clicked The Button a few weeks ago. Trust me, though, that enticing shininess wears thin very quickly with the software's current state. To be sure, it's still very impressive technology, and with any luck it'll get better quickly from this point; but right now, it's not the prize that many (but not all) on this forum seem to think it is.

That said, there are numerous threads on this forum filled with tips and tricks to increase your safety score. If you really want in, I suggest you look for them in the AI, Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD sub-forum.

Even if you got into the FSD beta tomorrow, you would NOT be getting the FSD that you paid for; you'd be getting extra responsibility and a more challenging driving experience. The current state of the FSD beta is that it's flaky. I wouldn't even call it a driver-assistance technology at this point; it's an AI system that's still learning to drive, and by joining the beta program, you've agreed to be this flaky student driver's teacher. Keep that in mind as you evaluate whether you want it at all -- to get it now, you'll be paying more, in the form of more stressful drives. I don't know for sure, but my suspicion is that the current software is increasing the risk of accidents, too. Yes, I know, it's the shiny new technology that technology geeks want to try out; that's why I clicked The Button a few weeks ago. Trust me, though, that enticing shininess wears thin very quickly with the software's current state. To be sure, it's still very impressive technology, and with any luck it'll get better quickly from this point; but right now, it's not the prize that many (but not all) on this forum seem to think it is.

That said, there are numerous threads on this forum filled with tips and tricks to increase your safety score. If you really want in, I suggest you look for them in the AI, Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD sub-forum.
This is exactly right. I'm using Beta only at specific times that I have set aside for training the AI. During my regular commute, I'm turning Beta off...I bought this car to take some stress out of the commute, not the other way around!

Reactions: srs5694 and El joe
Does that actually work? You can go from no autopilot to autopilot enabled by witching profiles mid-drive?
Yes, it works. One profile has just normal autopilot, the other has FSD. I can switch in the middle of the drive to the FSD one and engage it. I was doing something similar before FSD to allow me to enable and disable the red light green light detection

This is exactly right. I'm using Beta only at specific times that I have set aside for training the AI. During my regular commute, I'm turning Beta off...I bought this car to take some stress out of the commute, not the other way around!
Same. In my time using it, it’s actually a lot more stressful to use the beta than not, especially when cars or people are around. And for some reason, it loves flashing it’s brights whenever it gets a chance, pissing people off.

Same. In my time using it, it’s actually a lot more stressful to use the beta than not, especially when cars or people are around. And for some reason, it loves flashing it’s brights whenever it gets a chance, pissing people off.
Yeah, what the heck is it with the high-beams?! I could never get auto-high beams to work correctly so I had it disabled...this took me by surprise with Beta...it's very trigger-happy with it brights on very well-lit roads...is there a way to train that aspect of the Beta?

Reactions: El joe
Yeah, what the heck is it with the high-beams?! I could never get auto-high beams to work correctly so I had it disabled...this took me by surprise with Beta...it's very trigger-happy with it brights on very well-lit roads...is there a way to train that aspect of the Beta?
I'd hope they're working on that cause that aspect alone makes me hesitant to use it. Flashing my high beams at random people in not-so-good neighborhoods doesn't really do it for me.

Yes, it works. One profile has just normal autopilot, the other has FSD. I can switch in the middle of the drive to the FSD one and engage it. I was doing something similar before FSD to allow me to enable and disable the red light green light detection
Wonder if safety scoring can be on and off the same way... I get it's used for insurance in Texas, but for purposes of FSD Beta participation, I'm pretty sure you are not part of the insurance pool, unless you already signed up for insurance.

How is this different from simply not engaging FSD? Does it not show the expanded animations or change the way non-FSD features operate or something?

Yeah
Tons of “Pay attention to the road” and AP jail for ignoring the nags. No email from Tesla about booting me from the program. Anyone else receive warnings?
yeah I got a ton of warnings then a forced disengagement. I was paying attention the entire time hand on the wheel etc. what I think happened was I recording with you phone and it nagged me. It then got revoked entirely. Honestly heartbreaking I have been waiting so long and driving so carefully

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I got the dreaded FSD beta warning message about too many strikeouts due to an FSD disengagement. I don't want to lose FSD beta after working so hard to get it. Do you guys think switching between an FSD beta activated profile to a deactivated profile mid-drive if I get a strike or two would "protect" me for that drive? Sometimes the car just doesn't even note the torque on the wheel required to get rid of the hands on the wheel message.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I got the dreaded FSD beta warning message about too many strikeouts due to an FSD disengagement. I don't want to lose FSD beta after working so hard to get it. Do you guys think switching between an FSD beta activated profile to a deactivated profile mid-drive if I get a strike or two would "protect" me for that drive? Sometimes the car just doesn't even note the torque on the wheel required to get rid of the hands on the wheel message.
Don't plan to get "a strike or two". Pay attention - and just use the scroll wheel to increase reduce volume if you can't figure out the torque needed to remove nag but not disengage.

• Disagree
Reactions: ChimpledPot
I've exceeded 82mph twice now (it lets you go just above 80mph, at least briefly, without penalty) and gotten locked out of NoA. Doesn't seem to be an issue; no emails or nasty warning messages on the screen, though it's only been twice I guess. I am still operating under the assumption that an unlimited number of this particular type of strikeout will not warrant removal (this would make sense, since these violations only happen when I'm actively driving and paying 100% active attention...and as mentioned before, FSD is not being used when these violations occur - NOA Vision Only is).

If anyone has got the warning email from only these types of violations, it would be good to know. I would like to worry about this less (though I'm not that worried, since FSD currently has very limited utility anyway...the main advantage of having access to it is that it is nice to be able to have that grounding in reality to compare with user reports and media reports). Anyway, very common around here to need to exceed 82mph for brief periods, to stay with the flow of traffic and avoid being a road hazard (need to be able to get out of the way of the road users dawdling along at 90mph), and the CHP doesn't usually seem to mind either as long as you keep it sane & brief, and you're part of the crowd.

The 90mph Vision Only AP limit can't come soon enough. That provides plenty of margin and should essentially never result in a lockout.

Last edited:

It's so bad that I find it embarrassing for all Tesla owners.

Before I even got the FSD beta I started noticing weird behavior of autobrights from Tesla's on the road. Where I live there is a pretty large concentration of them.

At first I assumed they were just idiots who didn't notice their autobrights were freaking out. But, then I got the FSD Beta and it forces them on every time you turn on the beta. I've gotten into the habit of immediately turning them off as soon as I turn on the beta.

The real danger in FSD Beta isn't an accident, but in road hostility.

Like lets ignore blame and just focus on driving infractions.

Yesterday I had two of them.

#1 - turned on autobrights right as a car was coming
#2 - Did a little twerk - I guess its like a psyche I wasn't really going to go that way, but I just wanted to freak you out.

• Informative
Reactions: gaspi101
I've exceeded 82mph twice now (it lets you go just above 80mph, at least briefly, without penalty) and gotten locked out of NoA. Doesn't seem to be an issue; no emails or nasty warning messages on the screen, though it's only been twice I guess. I am still operating under the assumption that an unlimited number of this particular type of strikeout will not warrant removal (this would make sense, since these violations only happen when I'm actively driving and paying 100% active attention...and as mentioned before, FSD is not being used when these violations occur - NOA Vision Only is).

If anyone has got the warning email from only these types of violations, it would be good to know. I would like to worry about this less (though I'm not that worried, since FSD currently has very limited utility anyway...the main advantage of having access to it is that it is nice to be able to have that grounding in reality to compare with user reports and media reports). Anyway, very common around here to need to exceed 82mph for brief periods, to stay with the flow of traffic and avoid being a road hazard (need to be able to get out of the way of the road users dawdling along at 90mph), and the CHP doesn't usually seem to mind either as long as you keep it sane & brief, and you're part of the crowd.

The 90mph Vision Only AP limit can't come soon enough. That provides plenty of margin and should essentially never result in a lockout.
I would be petrified to be on FSD beta at 90 miles an hour.

I would be petrified to be on FSD beta at 90 miles an hour.

You have 9-12 months to prepare for the meetup
FSD Beta has 9-12 months to prepare for the meetup

What will happen is anyone's guess.

I am a bit petrified at the idea of single stack NoA that supposedly will come with V11. I'm sure it will be limited to 80mph, but imagine if it twerks like 10.4 does occasionally.