Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta runs stop signs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice in the past 10 days my 2019 Model X Raven has tried to run stop signs. The 1st time was 3/24/22 while running 2022.4.5.20 (FSD Beta 10.11.1). I was navigating in the city on autopilot and the car clearly was not going to stop at the stop sign until I jammed on the brakes. My recollection is that the car was actually speeding up as it approached the stop sign rather than slowing down. I was so shocked by this behavior that I turned around and repeated the approach to the stop sign and the exact same thing happened again. Both times the car clearly would not have stopped unless I jammed on the brakes. I did note at this time that I was driving directly into the sun, though the sun was by no means blinding to me. I have never had problems at this particular stop sign before, and go by it at least several times per month.

Yesterday, 4/7/22, after I had been upgraded to 2022.4.5.21 (FSD Beta 10.11.2) the same thing happened at a totally different stop sign. Again I noted that I was heading into the sun though it was not at all distracting to me. If I had not jammed on the brakes the car would have gone right through the stop sign (or else it might have jammed on the brakes at the very last minute). In both cases, the stop sign was located just after a slight bend in the road. This stop sign I drive by almost every day.

In both cases I pressed the icon at the top of the display to send a report to Tesla and also pressed the microphone and said “Bug. The car tried to run the stop sign”. Is this the correct thing to do when trying to communicate problems with the FSD Beta?

Anyone else experiencing this kind of behavior with these two recent versions of the FSD Beta? I haven’t had a problem like this with prior versions of the FSD Beta software. I haven’t found any other reports of this when I’ve searched the TMC forums.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you can repeat it, then make sure you're reporting it with the camera button. I'd also take pictures of the intersection with the stop sign, and a snip of the intersection in Google Maps, and e-mail your experience to fsdbeta @ tesla.com (make sure you send from the same e-mail address as your Tesla account), including the pictures and snip from maps.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 2021 Model 3 and it ran a stop sign on FSD. But my wife used it this morning and it stopped her at one.

I think maybe we should uncheck the "Beta" checkboxes?

BTW this is my first post, sorry if this enrages anyone! :)

Hi hello :)
Teslas driver assist technlolgy is known for not being 100% consistent at correctly reading stop signs/stop lights.

It may get better, or, it may worsen under what’s known as software regression.

Reactions: Dewg
Upvote 0
I am always hopeful that a new fsd beta version will give consistency at the sign it routinely runs.

Update before this, first time through it stopped. Subsequent times, it ran the sign. I keep reporting but they're not listening.

I did note the most recent time it stopped was a cloudy day. See if light levels make any difference.

Upvote 0
Teslas driver assist technlolgy is known for not being 100% consistent at correctly reading stop signs/stop lights.

It may get better, or, it may worsen under what’s known as software regression.
To add to 2101's comment, there are times where the map data and visual data disagree. We don't know how Tesla is merging the two inputs, but there is evidence of the car stopping for non-existent stop signs. Those stop signs were there previously, and likely mapped as such, then later removed by the city - but the map data still shows them there (hasn't been remapped yet). The cars seem to weigh the map data a little more heavily than they should, and can react by stopping. The opposite may also be true, where map data doesn't show a stop sign, but the car is ignoring the visual data and favoring the map data in some circumstances, such as horizon sunlight briefly blinding the camera, so it falls back on map data.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 2021 Model 3 and it ran a stop sign on FSD. But my wife used it this morning and it stopped her at one.

I think maybe we should uncheck the "Beta" checkboxes?

BTW this is my first post, sorry if this enrages anyone! :)

Hi hello :)
Don't believe this is FSD Beta and think they are mistaken.

Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0