Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Solved My Problem!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so hoping tesla doesn't remove this in a future update. No one follows the speed limits where I live, anywhere. Not even in school zones. It's always a minimum of 10 mph over if not more.
I wouldn't mind an option for finer-grained control. People around here drive most normal roads 5-10 over, but anything residential has to be strictly 25mph or less. Due to the residential streets I have to keep my AP set to "speed limit" but I'd like to be able to set it to at least +5mph outside of that.

I wouldn't mind an option for finer-grained control. People around here drive most normal roads 5-10 over, but anything residential has to be strictly 25mph or less. Due to the residential streets I have to keep my AP set to "speed limit" but I'd like to be able to set it to at least +5mph outside of that.

I agree, even just a simple highway vs non highway offset would be nice... Anything more granular than that would just be clutter.

I agree, even just a simple highway vs non highway offset would be nice... Anything more granular than that would just be clutter.
Before FSD Beta, I used to have my speed offset at +10mph, but for Beta changed it to +5 primarily for secondary roads. It would be nice to have separate offsets for highway vs. secondary, but it’s pretty easy to increase/decrease the max speed by 5mph using the scroll wheel or autopilot stalk (legacy S/X). When I drive in my residential community I change the offset to 0, so I would actually need 3 different offsets to cover my use cases, which would be too confusing.

I hope FSDb can figure out which sign to use for the speed limit. In the interstate here, we have a reversible express lane in the middle. If I am in the right-most lane, not the express lane. FSDb treats the speed limit sign on the RHS as the speed limit instead of the LHS, this translates to a 10 mph delta. This is not as bad as if I am on the service road, it read both signs on the LHS/RHS, in this case, the delta is 20 mph, and driving 70 mph on the service road is little much.

I hope FSDb can figure out which sign to use for the speed limit. In the interstate here, we have a reversible express lane in the middle. If I am in the right-most lane, not the express lane. FSDb treats the speed limit sign on the RHS as the speed limit instead of the LHS, this translates to a 10 mph delta. This is not as bad as if I am on the service road, it read both signs on the LHS/RHS, in this case, the delta is 20 mph, and driving 70 mph on the service road is little much.
Doubtful. The car reads the limit on the right and keeps that until it sees another sign. So if you're in the right lane and pass a sign, then the car changes lanes to the left, it won't change speeds. I have had my car pick up speed limit signs on the left when entering construction zones, but if there is also a sign on the right, it'll read the right hand sign by default.

Doubtful. The car reads the limit on the right and keeps that until it sees another sign. So if you're in the right lane and pass a sign, then the car changes lanes to the left, it won't change speeds. I have had my car pick up speed limit signs on the left when entering construction zones, but if there is also a sign on the right, it'll read the right hand sign by default.
Your doubt is wrong! when I am on the city service road, the speed limit on the LHS of the road is 50 mph which is the legal limit, it also happens to have a sign for the highway speed 70 mph which is for the highway vehicle to see and use. Once it sees the speed of 70 mph, it speeds up to 70 mph which is speeding. In the same scenario, when I am traveling on the interstate (right-most lane), when it sees the express lane sign of 75 mph it speeds up to 75 mph, again this may be a Texas vs California thing.

Your doubt is wrong! when I am on the city service road, the speed limit on the LHS of the road is 50 mph which is the legal limit, it also happens to have a sign for the highway speed 70 mph which is for the highway vehicle to see and use. Once it sees the speed of 70 mph, it speeds up to 70 mph which is speeding. In the same scenario, when I am traveling on the interstate (right-most lane), when it sees the express lane sign of 75 mph it speeds up to 75 mph, again this may be a Texas vs California thing.
You misunderstood. I was saying doubtful to your statement about hoping Tesla learns to read the signs properly in the scenario you gave.

I've bought FSD a couple of times now but was not part of the beta tester group I've seen posting videos and impressions for years. I did use it a little but only on highways. Never bother to worry about my safety score in fact I surprised when I found that I had one last month. I installed 2022.44.30.5 yesterday. This morning I got a message asking if I wanted to enroll in the beta program. I now see tons of things I never saw before, e.g. different colors on the road, tons of vehicles and intersections are crazy busy! Very cool. I did try it on the way home on a slower back road and was amazed at how it slowed down (50mph to 25mph) for a very sharp s curve. I think it actually stopped at a stoplight and a stop sign without someone in front of me. I only did it once. I've been a silent critic for years but saw no reason to express my doubts about stuff like robotaxis. Now I'm not so sure it's that far off!

So what is the difference between what I have now and the YouTube posters?

I'm going to 0 offset and manually pushing it up when needed. It's becoming too much thrill for me.
What I want is a separate offset for unmarked roads (mostly neighborhood) and a different one for marked ones. I normally drive 5 mph below speed limit for unmarked and 5 mph above for marked.

Currently I too have 0 offset and adjust as needed.

What I want is a separate offset for unmarked roads (mostly neighborhood) and a different one for marked ones. I normally drive 5 mph below speed limit for unmarked and 5 mph above for marked.

Currently I too have 0 offset and adjust as needed.
One of the problems where I live is the legal speed limit is often too fast in many neighborhoods which means I often reduce the speed to 5 mph below the legal speed. Nobody drives 30mph in these neighborhoods but that is the speed limit. I don't know how FSD could solve this. (Note: none these streets have speed limit signs so FSD has to rely on mapping info and most are unmarked but not all.
What I find a bit humorous is until FSD I rarely paid any attention to speed limit signs I just drove what I thought the road was safe for.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVNow
Hmm, truck speed limit signs aren’t often seen on City Streets, are they? FSD Beta is only doing its “magic” on City Streets, so not sure how FSD solved the problem you mentioned. I would think AP/EAP would exhibit the same behavior.