Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta still incapable of driving on roads with a center turn lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought this up nearly a year ago and, stunningly, it is still occurring on the latest FSD software. My city is filled with two lane streets with center turn lanes. If I try to use FSD on any of these roads, my Model S will immediately put on the left turn signal, move into the center turn lane, and drive for block after block IN THE TURN LANE...even if the next turn is a right turn. The screen even shows the left and right turn arrows in the lane along with the dotted/solid yellow lines on each side. How is the software incapable of navigating such a simple and common road layout still?

1.png

I brought this up nearly a year ago and, stunningly, it is still occurring on the latest FSD software. My city is filled with two lane streets with center turn lanes. If I try to use FSD on any of these roads, my Model S will immediately put on the left turn signal, move into the center turn lane, and drive for block after block IN THE TURN LANE...even if the next turn is a right turn. The screen even shows the left and right turn arrows in the lane along with the dotted/solid yellow lines on each side. How is the software incapable of navigating such a simple and common road layout still?

View attachment 867421
It is because the line is not solid. Center turn lanes are normally set off with solid lines, changing to dashed if it turns into a dedicated left turn lane when approaching an intersection. Tesla generally will not cross a solid line, but dashed lines are fine to cross. Whoever paints your streets, should get out the DOT manual.

• Funny
Reactions: rpo and momo3605
...a year ago...
It's "beta" for Tesla, so it might not be realistic to give it another year.

Self-driving Tesla was predicted in 2013 to be authentic by the year 2016:

It's only 11 years since the prediction in 2013, so giving it 1 year won't help. At least give Tesla decades, not decade.

A better bet is to get Xpeng (founded in 2014) because they have 2 Lidars that Tesla hates:

It is because the line is not solid. Center turn lanes are normally set off with solid lines, changing to dashed if it turns into a dedicated left turn lane when approaching an intersection. Tesla generally will not cross a solid line, but dashed lines are fine to cross. Whoever paints your streets, should get out the DOT manual.
Lol sure, blame DOT and not the dumb Tesla that can’t understand what a 16 year old driver could.

As stated above, the car displays the lanes correctly on the screen. Solid line/dashed yellow line, turn arrows in the middle, and then another dashed/solid yellow line. They don't paint the lines as the streets have raised, colored bumps in place of that and the car reads the road fine. Pretty common in cities in the PNW.