Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta stops short of my destination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I noticed that when FSD Beta reaches the destination in the nav, the car just comes to a complete stop. The problem is the destination in the nav is still outside the actual destination. For example, when I enter Meijer's in the nav, FSD Beta will say I arrived at my destination and come to a complete stop when I am still on the road leading up to the parking lot. FSD Beta will not actually drive into the Meijer's parking lot. Similarly, when I enter my home address which is a house right off of a main road, FSD Beta just stops in the middle of the 55 mph main road and says I have arrived. So in both cases, I have to disengage FSD Beta earlier and finish the trip manually since I don't want the car to stop in the middle of traffic. I know FSD Beta won't park itself but I thought it would at least get you closer to your destination before stopping or notify the driver to take over rather than just stop in the middle of traffic. Will this be fixed when Tesla implements "Reverse Summon"? I am assuming when Reverse Summon is implemented, it will take care of completing the trip?

Kim Paquette on Twitter replied to my question. She says it is a maps issue. Depending on the map, FSD Beta may go into the parking lot, sometimes it may stop outside a parking lot.

Interesting. It's NEVER driven me into a parking lot, or into my driveway. Even one time when the destination was a Tesla supercharger, it stopped in the middle of the road outside the lot.

When my two Teslas become robotaxis later this year, I wonder if dumping my customers in the middle of the street could expose me to liability for subsequent death and mayhem. Oh well, Tesla Auto Insurance will surely protect me from financial ruin.

This is just one reason why the idea of Tesla robotaxis this year is silly. Tesla has not even tackled the problem of pick up and drop offs. You can't do robotaxis without that.

Reactions: VanFriscia
When setting your destination, check the pin. Is it in the middle of a street? I sometimes zoom in on the map and manually set a destination by holding down on the map and setting a pin.
To piggy back on @diplomat33 issue. Same goes for me every time I drive home. It will stop in the residential street right in front of my house at the mail box and say “I’ve arrived”🤣. Yes I have. Why won’t it turn into my driveway (is this even possible?) and pull up to the garage. To your point is it possible to move the pin to my garage to help this? Or am I just dreaming?😁

Ski

To piggy back on @diplomat33 issue. Same goes for me every time I drive home. It will stop in the residential street right in front of my house at the mail box and say “I’ve arrived”🤣. Yes I have. Why won’t it turn into my driveway (is this even possible?) and pull up to the garage. To your point is it possible to move the pin to my garage to help this? Or am I just dreaming?😁

Ski
I believe if you drop a pin in Google maps based on the exact coordinates of your driveway location, then share it to your car it will work. Then it is a simple matter of making that location your Home location. I find it hard to blame Tesla when the maps are providing mostly general location info.

Reactions: Thp3 and Skione65
This is just one reason why the idea of Tesla robotaxis this year is silly. Tesla has not even tackled the problem of pick up and drop offs. You can't do robotaxis without that.
When my two Teslas become robotaxis later this year, I wonder if dumping my customers in the middle of the street could expose me to liability for subsequent death and mayhem. Oh well, Tesla Auto Insurance will surely protect me from financial ruin.

@diplomat33
Agree. I was going to ask @azred if he was actually seriously thinking FSD will support Robotaxi services by the end of the year. The closest FSD will get to Robotaxi service is if the Tesla owner sits in the front seat while FSD works it's "magic". I suspect he was kidding.

Interesting. It's NEVER driven me into a parking lot, or into my driveway. Even one time when the destination was a Tesla supercharger, it stopped in the middle of the road outside the lot.

It's a mix and match for me. It never turns into my driveway and most business parking lots but it sometimes reliably turns into a few selected business parking lots.

Kim Paquette on Twitter replied to my question. She says it is a maps issue. Depending on the map, FSD Beta may go into the parking lot, sometimes it may stop outside a parking lot.
I can confirm that. Sometimes takes inside the parking lots and sometimes stop on the road.

Either way I usually disengage at the end ... and don't really count those when talking about # of disengagements. The navigation though parking lots is quite poor in general ... though in some instances FSD has driven surprisingly well.

BTW, here is something interesting that happened ... I can't figure out why.

Earlier when I used to drive my kids to an activity, FSD would enter the parking lot. I realized the business was not in TomTom and got it updated. After that the FSD started stopping in the middle of the road :oops:

I think it depends on the exact co-ordinates used (picked up from Google maps ?) and what TomTom (or whatever they are using) actually creates as the route.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
I had it drive me into the parking lot at the Tesla service center. Maybe that was because it was ‘home’

I think the maps explanation makes sense. I’ve noticed some parking lots are mapped and some aren’t.