Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta testing open to all with next update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think it is limited to folks who have purchased FSD? Or, can all of us pile on?
I'm almost positive it's going to be FSD owners only. HOWEVER, from my understanding FSD is built on a whole new underlying code that's been updated to tag and identify objects in a 3D space. I would not be surprised if they allow basic AP cars to download the new AP foundation. I wouldn't expect you to have any new features compared to now (or what you paid for in the event of EAP), but that would allow more training for the new system and possibly improve the safety/usability of autopilot.

The bigger question is if we can still buy the lifetime FSD for $10K, will that continue to have free hardware upgrades, while the Subscription doesn't? Meaning, if you just pay the subscription you would need to purchase hardware updates to get full new features as new hardware is required.

I bought FSD on my MS LR+ because I plan to keep it for a really long time and I am 100% satisfied with it. Nothing in the new 2021 excites me.

However, the Model Y LR I plan to buy in a month or two may be a trade in in 2-3 years because of possible upgrades that are planned for it. So I am looking at the Subscription plan for FSD as opposed to the upfront price. Before all these new changes such as air suspension, and 4680 battery, maybe more color on interior options, driver instrument display, etc. I thought the FSD $10K price was fair. Not now.

Opinions?

I also speculate only FSD purchasers will get them automatically, but they might also launch the subscription service at the same time, so anyone willing to pay for it will be able to download and use FSD.
I like the idea of the subscription service being available in the next few weeks! Would be very interesting to try FSD Beta. But, IF the subscription has a minimum length of 12 months and is $300+ a month, then i am not so interested. If we were allowed to subscribe for just three months at $200 a month, i would definitely do it.

I like the idea of the subscription service being available in the next few weeks! Would be very interesting to try FSD Beta. But, IF the subscription has a minimum length of 12 months and is $300+ a month, then i am not so interested. If we were allowed to subscribe for just three months at $200 a month, i would definitely do it.
These feature updates like acceleration-boost and subscriptions are pure cash-cows for Tesla. They'll want to maximize the profits when FSD Beta is released as a subscription. I would venture to guess you will have to pay the most for month-to-month, a bit less if you buy 6 months and a lot less if you buy 12 months in advance. It's going to be just like any other "subscription service" out there. The more you pay upfront, the more you will "save". Plus, you have to make it fair for those who departed with $8k/$10k to buy FSD in advance, so the subscription won't be cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilber
Man there are a LOT of threads on this topic:

Already posted in them this: