Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how much gets revealed as part of early access testing of FSD Beta 11 vs held back for the holiday update.
You are all incredibly optimistic about a release which is quite significant and has only been testing significantly in the wild for less than a month!

Unless Tesla lowers the quality bar substantially, or makes this an optional update (for example a toggle to enable/disable FSDb stack on freeways), I don’t see a v11 release happening as a Christmas update.

You are all incredibly optimistic about a release which is quite significant and has only been testing significantly in the wild for less than a month!

Unless Tesla lowers the quality bar substantially, or makes this an optional update (for example a toggle to enable/disable FSDb stack on freeways), I don’t see a v11 release happening as a Christmas update.
It's certainly getting close to deadlines to release 11.X to us masses, given that we see no indications of it going out to any early testers with less than a month to the end of the year. For something that Elon kept downplaying as not being that important, single-stack sure looks to be more difficult than expected. But then, everything about self driving is harder than expected! It sure would be interesting to know what the roadblocks are.

Until I see them pull up the Software screen and show 2022.40+, I'm skeptical that we're actually viewing FSD Beta V11 here.

There are a few sections of highway around me that choose to remain on FSD Beta for about 1.5 km before switching over to NOA. I think the most likely explanation of this video is that this guy has found about a 2-4 km (notice how short his clips are) stretch of highway that 10.69.3 will drive on, and it labeling it as V11 to get more YouTube views.

Last edited:
Until I see them pull up the Software screen and show 2022.40+, I'm skeptical that we're actually viewing FSD Beta V11 here.

There are a few sections of highway around me that choose to remain on FSD Beta for about 1.5 km before switching over to NOA. I think the most likely explanation of this video is that this guy has found about a 2-4 km (notice how short his clips are) stretch of highway that 10.69.3 will drive on, and it labeling it as V11 to get more YouTube views.
Possibly .... I've deleted my post, until confirmation.

Also, the chances of V11 in Canada are low ...

has only been testing significantly in the wild for less than a month
In some sense, FSD Beta 11 single stack has been in testing for over a year:

The Autopilot team knew the goal was to get FSD Beta polished enough to be better than production Navigate on Autopiot, and if you look closely at the many 10.x release notes, there are definitely entries that are in preparation for interstate highway driving. The release notes specifically for FSD Beta 11 are basically all focused on highway driving as a final set of polish on top of the many existing months of polishing and testing. So yes, the new items for 11 have not been tested in the wild as much and might have introduced new regressions or potentially still not yet enough polish to be better than the existing stack.

Interesting that Tesla is deploying a FSD Beta 10.69.3.2 / 2022.40.4.5 just weeks before a potential FSD Beta 11 wide release as part of the holiday update. It could be to collect better data in shadow mode to train single stack, but it indeed is cutting it close with less than 3 weeks left for a timely holiday update.

I would guess Tesla's top priority for the rest of this year is FSD wide release where what has been Safety Score "early access" testing is eliminated and replaced with a standard toggle in the main production vehicle software even for MCU1 vehicles (with RCCB cameras). So FSD Beta 11 / single stack highway driving would be pushed to 2023 if they need to focus on one goal.

So yes, the new items for 11 have not been tested in the wild as much and might have introduced new regressions or potentially still not yet enough polish to be better than the existing stack.

Yeah seems like a lot. Just seems really fast at this point to get a rollout done by end of the year that is clean, and useful, without a “please disable this garbage immediately” toggle available.

They’ll get single stack soon just not sure whether it is going to be packaged up with a nice bow before end of the year.

I would guess Tesla's top priority for the rest of this year is FSD wide release where what has been Safety Score "early access" testing is eliminated and replaced with a standard toggle in the main production vehicle software even for MCU1 vehicles (

I agree. Probably higher priority than single stack, for short term.

Sounds like some employees are also wondering why they are getting 10.69.3.2 yesterday/today instead of single stack FSD Beta 11.
I suppose good thing they held back some of those "employee FSD" group (B) to test this last(?) iteration of 10.69 so it can go through the usual testing before "actually early access" then "safety score testers." And after wide release of 10.69.3.2 this week, the rest of the employees can join (A) to get FSD Beta 11 next week.

Here's a more visual potential roadmap for the various groups and their future assuming FSD Beta 11 is ready for the holiday update:
Code:
Internal/Alpha: [-------------------- 11 --------------------] [----- 11.1 -----] [---- 11.2 -----]
Employee FSD A: [ 10.69.3.1 ] [------------- 11 -------------] [ holiday update ] [ moved to EAP -]
Employee FSD B: [-- 10.69.3.1 --] [ 10.69.3.2 ] [---- 11 ----] [ holiday update ] [ moved to EAP -]
"Actually" EAP: [---- 10.69.3.1 ----] [-- 10.69.3.2 --] [ 11 ] [ holiday update ] [---- 11.1 -----]
"Safety Score": [-------- 10.69.3.1 --------] [- 10.69.3.2 --] [ holiday update ] [ moved to prod ]
Prod. Software: [--------------- no FSD beta ----------------] [ holiday update ] [- future prod -]

Sounds like some employees are also wondering why they are getting 10.69.3.2 yesterday/today instead of single stack FSD Beta 11.
I suppose good thing they held back some of those "employee FSD" group (B) to test this last(?) iteration of 10.69 so it can go through the usual testing before "actually early access" then "safety score testers." And after wide release of 10.69.3.2 this week, the rest of the employees can join (A) to get FSD Beta 11 next week.

Here's a more visual potential roadmap for the various groups and their future assuming FSD Beta 11 is ready for the holiday update:
Code:
Internal/Alpha: [-------------------- 11 --------------------] [----- 11.1 -----] [---- 11.2 -----]
Employee FSD A: [ 10.69.3.1 ] [------------- 11 -------------] [ holiday update ] [ moved to EAP -]
Employee FSD B: [-- 10.69.3.1 --] [ 10.69.3.2 ] [---- 11 ----] [ holiday update ] [ moved to EAP -]
"Actually" EAP: [---- 10.69.3.1 ----] [-- 10.69.3.2 --] [ 11 ] [ holiday update ] [---- 11.1 -----]
"Safety Score": [-------- 10.69.3.1 --------] [- 10.69.3.2 --] [ holiday update ] [ moved to prod ]
Prod. Software: [--------------- no FSD beta ----------------] [ holiday update ] [- future prod -]
It looks like Tesla is coming to accept that single-stack is not going to make it to the public by the end of the year. They are simply running out of time to push it out to the early testers, get back data from widespread testing, produce a new version, etc. So, they are implementing a Plan B. Tweak up 10.69.3.2 to smooth over some of its rough edges and release to all FSD cars by the end of the year, hopefully in the holiday release.

If FSDb 11 was still on track for delivery this year, there would be no need to work 10.69.3.2. It would be out for only a week or two before being replaced. That would take a lot of effort for very little return. And, it splits the FSD development team, taking away resources from FSDb 11.

Code:
That’s a great little GAANT/TIMELINE/MILESTONE chart on the bottom. I know it’s not real or accurate with much data to back it up, but assuming one could look to it for some insight, WHERE would one who is a. 1+ year FSDb tester, who gets each update within about 24-48 hours, put their category?

Is it EE FSD A, B or Safety Score?

I just took delivery on a 2023 Model 3 LR and the software version is v11 as show in attached pic. Is this the latest FSD beta that everyone is talking about on this thread? Sorry if this is a trivial question, just trying to gain a better understanding of what I have.

Attachments

• 363EBDD8-8AF3-4389-8A42-65A7F53BC94D.jpeg
    363EBDD8-8AF3-4389-8A42-65A7F53BC94D.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 83
I just took delivery on a 2023 Model 3 LR and the software version is v11 as show in attached pic. Is this the latest FSD beta that everyone is talking about on this thread? Sorry if this is a trivial question, just trying to gain a better understanding of what I have.
No, this is UI version 11 released for all Teslas last year. FSD beta v11 is different. You won’t see that until you’ve been accepted into the beta program

As someone with a HW3 non-FSD M3, at some point will there be a software update for all cars (not just FSD) to update the visualization level of detail that is currently seen in the FSD beta? It's not a huge difference, and will make no difference performance wise, but it does have a little more visual interest!
It's actually a huge difference - the amount of detail the car sees and displays is impressive compared to the standard AP stack. The AP stack is reported to only use a few cameras vs the FSD Beta stack which uses all 8 cameras. I remember when FSD Beta was enabled on my car, I was instantly blown away, especially when I zoomed out.

It's actually a huge difference - the amount of detail the car sees and displays is impressive compared to the standard AP stack. The AP stack is reported to only use a few cameras vs the FSD Beta stack which uses all 8 cameras. I remember when FSD Beta was enabled on my car, I was instantly blown away, especially when I zoomed out.
Well now I *really* hope they give all of that info (stack? new lingo for me there..) to us non-FSD folk! Maybe I was just subconsciously downplaying it for myself to not feel bad :)-