Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I definitely think that is the plan.

The intriguing thing is .... is that holiday release V11 ?

I'd think V11 would be too "raw" to be released widely for everyone next month (given it is not even available to all employees now, let alone youtubers or beta testers).

So, it is possible the "general" release will include some release of FSD Beta - but current testers will continue to get newer versions of FSDb including V11, which will go to "general" release later.
Why would it be too raw? It works correctly maybe 80 to 90% of time for city streets. It should work about the same for limited access highways. Are you concerned about the higher speed limits?

I definitely think that is the plan.

The intriguing thing is .... is that holiday release V11 ?

I'd think V11 would be too "raw" to be released widely for everyone next month (given it is not even available to all employees now, let alone youtubers or beta testers).

So, it is possible the "general" release will include some release of FSD Beta - but current testers will continue to get newer versions of FSDb including V11, which will go to "general" release later.
If V11 really isn't ready for mass release, it's certainly possible for them to release a 10.69.X to all FSD licensees so that Elon can say that they met their goal. I think that the 10.69.X is safe enough for mass release. In my recent experience, I rarely intervene for safety reasons. It's usually hesitancy or getting into the wrong lane that causes me to disconnect or intervene.

I would not expect V11 to be significantly better than the current V10 on city streets, so the only downside is not having a (presumably) improved highway performance. But, I expect V10 will give most people plenty to gripe about without the new highway stack!

I suspect these road markings visualizations were part of the separate old stack when they were introduced in 2019(!) as part of Full Self Driving Visualization Preview. The way FSD Beta predicts intersections has most likely gone through multiple rewrites over the past few years to focus on the raw visual data to make sure they have the right fundamental architecture and intentionally minimized additional dependencies like map data and road markings.

Only recently with 10.69, did they reintroduce coarse map data:
  • Added a new "deep lane guidance" module to the Vector Lanes neural network which fuses features extracted from the video streams with coarse map data, i.e. lane counts and lane connectivites. This architecture achieves a 44% lower error rate on lane topology…
And 10.69.3, which most of us haven't gotten yet reintroduces road markings:
  • Added a new "road markings" module to the Vector Lanes neural network which improves lane topology error at intersections by 38.9%.
Hopefully this fixes issues like predicting left turn lanes tend to be left-only but in this case it's actually a left-straight lane.

So similarly, it's interesting that FSD Beta 11 reintroduces coarse map data for better highway behavior:
  • Improved merging behavior by leveraging lane geometry and lane bounds, association with coarse map information and better gap selection algorithms, allowing for smoother and safer experience.
Navigate on Autopilot has always been heavily dependent on map data as at highway speeds, the visual system often cannot see far enough by itself for smooth experiences. And this "reintroducing" process will probably happen for some of the user facing controls too.
I entered FSD Beta a few days ago directly onto 10.69.3. Based on last few days, there is still quite a bit of work to do. Half the time FSD gets confused by turn lanes and bizarrely turns on the blinker to stay in the through lane. Also, needs improved recognition of the signal light applicable to discrete lanes. FSD appears to take any green light for any lane as an invitation to proceed.

On TeslaFi, 10.69.3.1 is now out to 418 cars, around 10% of us beta testers. It started to mostly new testers, but today mostly 10.69.3 types.

This would suggest both that .3.1 is on track to replace .3, and that it it being used to get new folks into beta as well.

The Fi fleet stats have 903 with safety scores of 90+, and another 672 below, 1,575 total. Some of these, no doubt, have Tesla insurance, but are not signed up for FSD or Beta. If non-FSDs are 30% (just a SWAG), and 90% score is still the rule, there will be, very rough guess, another 600 new beta testers added to the current 4,200 among the TeslaFi fleet. Not a huge increase. But it does bode well for folks still waiting to join the, fun and stress that is FSD Beta.

I'm not in .3.1 yet, but hope to see it soon.

It would be nice to have some reports on 10.69.3.1, please....

As far as we know FSDb v11.? still been seen in only one car? Anyway, I gather that is coming "soon" only in Elondish.

SW

I'm not sure Elon realizes that Thanksgiving is tomorrow?
Not clear if that's referring to "Thanksgiving day" vs "Thanksgiving dinner" vs "end of Thanksgiving long weekend…"

There's been 2 previous years of Thanksgiving releases of FSD Beta:

Wednesday November 25th 2020 just past midnight for "FSD Beta 5" while FSD Beta 10.5 was noticed Monday November 22nd 2021:

Seems like if anybody were to get FSD Beta 11 in the next few days, it'll probably be a very small subset of FSD Beta testers who can actually send back feedback with "Early Access Program" video snapshot button.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I entered FSD Beta a few days ago directly onto 10.69.3. Based on last few days, there is still quite a bit of work to do. Half the time FSD gets confused by turn lanes and bizarrely turns on the blinker to stay in the through lane. Also, needs improved recognition of the signal light applicable to discrete lanes. FSD appears to take any green light for any lane as an invitation to proceed.
I just updated to 69.3.1 yesterday and based on my limited drives so far the blinkers are significantly worse than they were with the previous version.

Last edited:
I just updated to 69.3.1 yesterday and based on MTKA limited drives so far the blinkers are significantly worse than they were with the previous version.
I’m new to FSD as I just went from 36.6 to 36.20 on Monday evening. My first impression good. It took me to and from a local store competently if a bit robotically (if that makes sense). But last night my wife wanted something from Target so we went so she could see what all the fuss was about. it was horrible. first, it stopped at a red light and decided to turn on red (ignoring the big truck it clearly should have waited for). The truck driver was not amused (only defense I offer is that the truck did wait at the light longer than normal but he clearly had the right of way).
then it kept swinging randomly into left turn lanes when supposed to go straight. It just couldn’t seem to stay in its lane. i suspect that the difference between the two trips was that the latter was at night in the dark.

Sounds like you’re a sample of one? Anyone else? can you post the actual build number of the software version from the in car with the camera indicated? Interested.
Mine is gone too with the update to 2022.36.20 (FSD Beta 10.69.3.1)

This might well have to do with Elon’s announcement that FSD Beta is going “wide”:

Reactions: DarkForest