Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I look at FSD as a long term investment.
I did a lot of research on FSD befor I made my purchase so I am fully prepared to the road ahead.
IMO only people who are "happy" with FSD are those with low expectations (like me). I think of it as an exciting journey where we get to see how FSDb gradually learns how to drive. We don't know the end state - nor when that end state will be achieved.

IMO only people who are "happy" with FSD are those with low expectations (like me). I think of it as an exciting journey where we get to see how FSDb gradually learns how to drive. We don't know the end state - nor when that end state will be achieved.
I purchased the FSD with an expectation of it being completed during my ownership of the vehicle. It’s been 2 years. At this rate FSD will not be completed before I upgrade. I’ll not be spending another $10k+ on the next vehicle to watch this journey again and never get to experience the product I paid for. I can do it through the eyes of the YouTube shills.

I agree with this. Even with freeway AP I am attentive and often enabling/disabling it to get around known tricky situations. Rarely on a short 10 minute drive do I just let it do it’s thing. There’s always something…need a faster lane change, a known phantom break is going to happen. So for me, FSD on the streets is similar - disengage at this turn because it’s not ideal, disengage here because of a speed bump ( I take them a lot slower than 17mph), etc. it’s fun, but I can empathize with folks who see that things like hw4 may obsolete/limit hw3.

Those last second highway merges should make you a bit nervous:

Are there any videos of fsd v11 merging onto an interstate or highway with moderate to heavy traffic. My merges are never as clear as fsd videos have currently shown. I always have to accelerate or deaccelerate by 10 to 20 mph so I can zipper merge into a spot. There's not a lot of tolerance for hesitation with the driver's of my city and they are just as likely to get out of the way as to accelerate to cut you off when they see the blinker. Even at a merge.

I'm curious as to what fsdb is actually doing here. Does it see the merge is clear so there is no reason to merge ahead of time. If there is heavy traffic will it try to match itself to a gap, or just brake at the end of the merge. I'm really curious.

Me too. I am already happy with my FSD purchase. I love having a front row seat to this exciting journey. I suspect others are the same. You just hear from the ones complaining the most.

I always laugh when people say FSD is not worth it. Guess it depends on the person. It is worth it to me and I use it 80 miles a day M-F.

Me too. I am already happy with my FSD purchase. I love having a front row seat to this exciting journey. I suspect others are the same. You just hear from the ones complaining the most.

I always laugh when people say FSD is not worth it. Guess it depends on the person. It is worth it to me and I use it 80 miles a day M-F.

Honest question, you drive 80 miles of surface streets every day?

Edit: not highway miles.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Honest question, you drive 80 miles of surface streets every day?

Edit: not highway miles.
I don't know about @geekfam but my commute is 62 miles and it is on a state highway that is NOT restricted access.

So ~80 miles/day for me is on FSDb. I'm only on NoA for about 12 miles each way on 40 to get to and from the state highway.

It's certainly possible to rack up that kind of mileage. In case you're wondering, posted speed is 55-60 depending on section.

Last edited:
Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
I purchased the FSD with an expectation of it being completed during my ownership of the vehicle. It’s been 2 years. At this rate FSD will not be completed before I upgrade. I’ll not be spending another $10k+ on the next vehicle to watch this journey again and never get to experience the product I paid for. I can do it through the eyes of the YouTube shills.
Not to mention the value of all of our cars has been killed with these price cuts...
So Hw3 better gitter done!

I don't know about @geekfam but my commute is 62 miles and it is on a state highway that is NOT restricted access.

So ~80 miles/day for me is on FSDb. I'm only on NoA for about 12 miles each way on 40 to get to and from the state highway.

It's certainly possible to rack up that kind of mileage. In case you're wondering, posted speed is 55-60 depending on section.
Got it. Yeah I could see getting a lot of mileage on such highways, although regular autopilot works fine for me on those roads too.

My car is just about to cross first anniversary, and just crossed 50,000km. That works out to be 86 miles per day, a good mix of highways and non highways.

I'm one of those happy ones with the current state of FSDb, and I agree because my expectation was quite low to begin with.

Even yesterday, on the way back home from a friend's place at night with low traffic, FSDb brought me home with zero interventions and zero drama. Not as smooth as me, but improvement since 8 months is very clear.

More than 90% of my drives are performed by FSDb. I'm really looking forward to the next version.

Not sure if I can position any car related expenses as investments, but my Tesla sure impacted my life style massively, way outperforming my original expectations.

I do plan to keep this car until I hit 300,000km so to me, FSDb was a very good value. 🥴