Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
For those of us (including myself) that are on the 2023 branch of updates (not prior FSD users) our update to v11.3.2 probably won’t be for some time. If i’m not mistaken, we need to wait for the FSD beta to be in latest update branch. So in other words, my FSD update will probably be something like 2023.8.1
Assuming Tesla continues previous practice, then your prediction is likely true.

To shorten the time to a minimum, you should not install any new updates until your car downloads an FSD beta version.

Teslafi reports how many cars they have on different versions, so we know there are about 175 on V11.3.2 and 4500 on FSD total. About 4% of the FSD population have gotten 11.3.2. Tesla has released info that there's around 400,000 FSD Beta cars (I'm going by memory on that one, but they have released that info), so 4% of that is about 16,000 cars.
Gotcha, thanks for expanding on your analysis.

I think the 400k number is probably closer to 300k though, given Tesla confirmed 285k about 3 months ago:

I think the 400k number is probably closer to 300k though, given Tesla confirmed 285k about 3 months ago:

It's probably closer to 400K

“We have now released FSD beta to nearly all customers in the US and Canada who bought FSD (approximately 400,000). This is an important milestone for our company. Every customer in the US and Canada can now access FSD Beta functionality upon purchase/subscription and start experiencing the evolution of AI-powered autonomy.”

I’m just keeping an eye out hopeful that one pops up because I’m on 2022.44.100 and in queue since delivery.

Can’t not look at TeslaFi craving a sign.
An additional constraint for your car, being on a "break-in" or "shipment" firmware release, is that you may have to wait for some unknowable configuration patch to be mainstreamed into the standard releases.

If you're lucky, that could have been included in the 2022.45.11 package, but it's far from certain. I'd say it won't happen by accident, but only if someone at Tesla deems it a minor priority to get FSDb to the newest cars ASAP. Even without the FSDb complication, my car languished on its factory shipment firmware for about 7 weeks before I finally got the holiday update in late 2021.

What's my best strategy to get V11 the soonest? I just took delivery on March 1, and currently have 2022.44.200. I'm currently in queue. I assume I should not cancel my queue and stay with the version I'm on? Or should I cancel the queue and hope for a later base version?
I think you are in the same situation as @TK211X . See my message just above on that subject.

I would definitely advise you to stay in the queue and not cancel it, unless you just really want some new feature like Auto steering wheel Heating or you just really don't want to be on the shipment firmware anymore. Staying in the queue is your best shot at holding off unhelpful new versions that will just keep you perennially ahead of the FSDb versions.

I'm sure that at some level, Tesla themselves would like to resolve this and simplify their already complicated software release management, so that FSDb becomes just a standard part of standard software for those who purchase or subscribe.

I was hoping to see this happen from the December updates going forward, but unfortunately they reverted to the prior pattern where FSDb legs the standard software releases.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
It's probably closer to 400K

“We have now released FSD beta to nearly all customers in the US and Canada who bought FSD (approximately 400,000). This is an important milestone for our company. Every customer in the US and Canada can now access FSD Beta functionality upon purchase/subscription and start experiencing the evolution of AI-powered autonomy.”
I think the 400k number was from the earnings call in late January. It says 400k bought FSD, but I wonder how many more are monthly subscription? Cant imagine there are that many subscribers.

• Helpful
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Assuming Tesla continues previous practice, then your prediction is likely true.

To shorten the time to a minimum, you should not install any new updates until your car downloads an FSD beta version.
Yea.. that’s my plan. If a new 2023.X.X update comes in that is not containing FSD I will not install it. I might even go so far as to remove my wifi credentials from the car so that it doesn’t connect when I pull into/park in my garage.

Canceled subscribers who gave up after waiting on promises, loyal Tesla buyers who got FSD much less sub 10k and not willing to pay a whopping 15k when getting a newer Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
It has! A surprising number of people on this forum have suggested that once FSD was available to everyone who wanted it and/or when single stack was released then Tesla would just stop doing gradual rollouts. Basically they'd go back to how "production" code releases have historically worked.

I personally think that's highly unlikely. They've had over two years to perfect how to minimize risk with incremental releases. That's just a free benefit for Tesla, I can't see why they'd stop. There's only upside for them.
Pure speculation on my part here, but perhaps FSD beta was different, and quicker roll-outs may resume soon. Freeways are pretty similar to each other, with far fewer edge cases. City streets vary tremendously and include crossing traffic, pedestrians, stops, turns, random signs, etc, etc, etc. So, testing AutoPilot did not need tons of training video collected from tens of thousands of drivers, while FSD on city streets did, and still does.

The problem would have been that as long as the software was not ready to handle the variety of situations, it was not very safe. Hence the Safety Score, which I viewed more as training us to really pay attention than a sorting for great drivers. We all learned what SS wanted and how to get a great score.

Now that FSD in city streets has supposedly achieved a proven accident rate substantially lower than human drivers, it may be possible to roll out incremental improvements widely more quickly, after they have been tested for dumb regressions in a smaller test releases.

V11 was a bit of a special case, because it replaces the old AutoPilot, which had an established safety record, and had the entire Tesla driver population trained on how it behaves. V11, will be different, but replacing AP for everyone with that FSD code will take some pretty thorough testing. Once that is done, they may be able to go back to more frequent and quicker wide releases.

Sadly, the in-city FSD still has a number of problems still requiring improvement. I have four routine interventions within a couple miles of leaving the house, every time I leave home. So it is not quite time to consider FSD beta done, but as those issues are fixed, quicker rollouts won't surprise me because of the proven safety of the existing code.

Reactions: gsmith123
This is the same guy who said it would go into wide release “in a few weeks” last November…
Eighteen weeks can be a "few" weeks...
When I tell my wife "I'll get to it in a few minutes", it's hardly ever less than 18.
When I tell her "I only ate a few of those chips", it's always more than 18.