Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Based on your statement how are Tesla employees testing V11.4 on many cars with HW3 hardware? Many FSD improvements will be coming that have nothing to do with HW3 and HW4 differences.

I'm aware of planned code to NNs conversions but we didn't see much improvement from that upgrade in 11.3.x path. Otherwise I'm not ware of 'many' improvements coming for HW3. No doubt there's always refinements for comfort but that won't get anywhere near to 1x human safety.

Recent HW3 software upgrades have not shown dramatic improvements given the time and effort spent. That usually indicates a design has converged to an absolute minima. If so, that's all she wrote for HW3.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Which setting were you using? I had been using "assertive" and had the same lane movements as you (one lane at 1 mile, next lane at .5 miles) though I'm told if you change to "chill" it doubles the distance (one lane at 2 miles, one lane at 1 mile). I haven't had a chance to confirm this yet but if accurate this would really help with the exits with heavy traffic.
Anecdotal of course but today I did the same route back into ATL and used Chill. It stayed more in the center lanes and the right lanes and never got all the way over to the left lanes or in the HOV lane. Coincidentally the traffic was again not backed up but it probably would have been OK since I was far enough over to the right to make the split.

Seems odd that Assertive would go all the way over into the left lanes and camp. This is even illegal in GA to have traffic passing you on the right while you drive in the left lane. I can see Assertive changing lanes more but it shouldn't just pick the left lanes and camp at the expense of missing an upcoming exit or highway split.

Probably will try and (remember to 🤔 🥴) switch to Assertive in the city/burbs and Chill on the Interstate.

Looks like TeslaBull is still on 11.4 (latest YouTube). So if 11.4.1 is so promising at least let the employees get it Elon. 🤔 🤣

Also would love to see if there is change of it being on 23.12.x. Maybe the TeslaBull (still an enigma that this employee seems to have Elon's blessing to post) will get it before the weekend and we can see the Notes.

Isn’t “TeslaBull(shite)” the one that said wide release of this was likely last weekend?! Yep, I think so….

Isn’t “TeslaBull(shite)” the one that said wide release of this was likely last weekend?! Yep, I think so….
Don't know since I don't usually watch the videos. However it seems that there is no commentary or audio on the videos. But again I don't watch so maybe there is commentary and and they did say that. The samples I watched just didn't have any commentary or audio that I rember.

My biggest question is why Elon allows this one employee to "violate" their NDA and post prerelease Beta videos.

Don't know since I don't usually watch the videos. However it seems that there is no commentary or audio on the videos. But again I don't watch so maybe there is commentary and and they did say that. The samples I watched just didn't have any commentary or audio that I rember.

My biggest question is why Elon allows this one employee to "violate" their NDA and post prerelease Beta videos.
Someone posted this last Friday evening and provided a link to the video where this was stated. I forget who posted it, but I did laugh my @$$ off when seeing the post! 🤣
I did not watch the video…

I'm aware of planned code to NNs conversions but we didn't see much improvement from that upgrade in 11.3.x path. Otherwise I'm not ware of 'many' improvements coming for HW3. No doubt there's always refinements for comfort but that won't get anywhere near to 1x human safety.

Recent HW3 software upgrades have not shown dramatic improvements given the time and effort spent. That usually indicates a design has converged to an absolute minima. If so, that's all she wrote for HW3.
Any reason you didn't answer the question regarding employees testing V11.4 on HW3 or didn't you think about that?

@kabin- "I wouldn't be surprised if 11.3.x was HW3's last hurrah with 11.4 and beyond destined for HW4"

Anecdotal of course but today I did the same route back into ATL and used Chill. It stayed more in the center lanes and the right lanes and never got all the way over to the left lanes or in the HOV lane. Coincidentally the traffic was again not backed up but it probably would have been OK since I was far enough over to the right to make the split.

Seems odd that Assertive would go all the way over into the left lanes and camp. This is even illegal in GA to have traffic passing you on the right while you drive in the left lane. I can see Assertive changing lanes more but it shouldn't just pick the left lanes and camp at the expense of missing an upcoming exit or highway split.

Probably will try and (remember to 🤔 🥴) switch to Assertive in the city/burbs and Chill on the Interstate.
Ahh, I'll be road tripping for a couple of weeks soon, will definitely have plenty of time to check out the 3 settings. Chill on the interstate sounds like a good plan.

Not sure that will solve the problem.

I want FSD to figure out what is the right time to move over based on traffic. Mind you, not just highways, but also city.

So many times, FSD will not change lane, even though it is indicating an upcoming lane change, when the lane is free (and no traffic in front before the turn comes). Or in my case today - it had to move over to the opposite lane to go around a cyclist. But the visibility to other lane is low because of a hill crest. We would wait to crest the hill before going around the cyclist - and yesterday it tried to go around even when a car was oncoming, squeezing between cyclist and the car. Most of us would wait for the oncoming car to pass before going around the cyclist. But ... if the traffic is heavy we would try to squeeze in between. So, knowing what to do depending on traffic is important.
Even better then traffic data from maps, it should keep track of traffic density (a counter of vehicles ahead and passing in all lanes of travel direction) over X distance and if its a certain amount or its increasing then increase the lane change distance for the next turn, so it takes it sooner rather then later when its too late. But this also allows for it to take it later if traffic is light.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
"Full Self-Driving may be degraded. Poor weather detected"

View attachment 934003

Any guesses to what 11.3.6 wanted to do? o_O
Seems perfectly driveable and it would stop appropriately assuming well centered. Getting on the first bit could be a bit rough, but that is what the aero shield and bumper cover is for.

This is an easy perception problem though (for me). I would think some of the time even FSD would get it.

Maybe it just needs more training. 😂

My guess is that Tesla Bull is not an employee but rather a "friend" of a Tesla employee. There are a few people here who have from time to time claimed to have received inside information from a Tesla employee. The same is true on Twitter. At least Tesla Bull has what appears to be video confirmation.

Someone posted this last Friday evening and provided a link to the video where this was stated. I forget who posted it, but I did laugh my @$$ off when seeing the post! 🤣
I did not watch the video…
The statement was in a reply to one of the comments on Youtube, not within the video itself. Also, I don't think Elon is condoning his behavior and if they actually find out who it is, he is getting fired.

My guess is that Tesla Bull is not an employee but rather a "friend" of a Tesla employee. There are a few people here who have from time to time claimed to have received inside information from a Tesla employee. The same is true on Twitter. At least Tesla Bull has what appears to be video confirmation.
Honestly, his videos say it's 11.4 but I've never seen a confirmation that he actually has 11.4.

I got the fsd may be degraded on the highway in heavy rain today, could barely see the lane lines. It drove surprisingly well, as if the weather was normal. I think this is one of the $15,000 benefits of fsd vs AP on highway lol.
Yes, I've been reporting the same on the highway including heavy rain at night. Significant improvement over AP and pre FSD V11.