Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
This bit of changing lanes “to follow route” is baffling. Sometimes it makes sense, but there are others in which the decision making is an enigma. I used to drive north on I5 though South Orange County. The road is 4 or 5 lanes wide, all going to the same place for many miles. Repeatedly I had to fight against the car putting me in the #1 lane (fastest) “to follow route” when every other lane also followed route, and being somewhat slower than others I had no business in the fast lane. I eventually just gave up on it in that area. The last version (11.3.6) I used in that area was better, but there are others. I wish we could get some explanation of what it is thinking when it makes these choices.
What routes? I'm in that area and would enjoy testing.

I don’t know if this is a common problem but 11.3.6 seems to be unable to navigate a left-hand turn where two lanes are turning at the same time in both directions. If I am in the far left lane, it swings wide and cuts off the car in the near left lane. If I am in the near left lane, it swings wide and threatens to ram the car turning left in the opposite direction.
I have the opposite problem in that I'll be in the right lane turning left but it cuts over into the lane to the left of me. So far there hasn't been a car next to me when this happens. I'm in 11.3.6

Also when I disengage via turning the steering wheel, it doesn't give me the option to do a voice report in this spot. It does so everywhere else.

Also on a separate note, there are railroad tracks where the car used to slow down as if coming to a stop before I hit the gas to keep it going. Today it didn't slow down for the railroad tracks but then it didn't seem to see the red light just past the tracks and was going full speed with no indication of slowing down, had to brake rather hard.

Reactions: Pdubs
FSD can drive Lombard Street but it fails miserably on a local windy country road. FSD simply cannot understand that you have to stay far to the right hand side of the road for tight blind corners. Road has to be driven no faster than 20mph. Multiple disengagements. Pretty much at every blind corner. This is the first time I've tried FSD in almost a year knowing how bad it was last time. I took a snapshot but haven't had a chance to look at it.

I don’t know if this is a common problem but 11.3.6 seems to be unable to navigate a left-hand turn where two lanes are turning at the same time in both directions. If I am in the far left lane, it swings wide and cuts off the car in the near left lane. If I am in the near left lane, it swings wide and threatens to ram the car turning left in the opposite direction.
Ditto.

Similar thing happened to me, came off the interstate, car signals left, says it’s going to turn left, then proceeded to get into the two right turning lanes from the two left turning lanes.
Yep. My car seems to be confused too and embarrasses me and the drivers behind me and the next lane. As for the Planner, mine seem to go into the Prom mode these days and dances more.

Last edited:
We'll have to get @SeattleFSD some views and subscriptions. I like the your dialog box issue indicators. Hopefully you don't have a BSOD. :)

It's nice for viewers to see the pedals. Some youtubers try to keep the pedal area clear which admittedly adds risk.

One of the youtubers was talking about adding a honk counter. Probably a good idea as it's a peer driver indicator of acute FSDj failure. At the very end, that last lane change was too close for my comfort level given the state of FSDj.

Looks like the FSDj path planner was wigging out prior to the first intersection as well as turning at the intersection otherwise it hung in there for those FSD drivers willing to put it all on the line. o_O

Thanks for the shout out and feedback! Yeah, getting the angle is tough. It's easier to keep an eye on my right knee 👀

I don't get many honks. I have a student driver magnet and people are insanely considerate for the most part. I'm surprised how most keep a food distance and are patient. Seattle I guess!! 😀

Reactions: GSP
Pretty sure I saw both your names on the Tesla No Update List. It's a Homeland Security thing, don't even ask.
It's all that scurrilous stuff I do, like mowing the lawn and dragging trash to the curb. I don't have it either.

Some poster above said the penetration was 33% or thereabouts.

Well, look at it another way: What with all the various minor complaints, maybe somebody at Tesla is looking and will fix said bugs (or try to) before going truly wide. We'll see.

Here is the snapshot of a drive on a very windy country road today using V11.4.2.
@28 and @48 you can tell that I had to disengage and reposition the car to the right to avoid cars coming from the opposite direction. Speed was reduced to 20mph but at these turns no faster than 15mph is required. You can see other sections where the car is way too far to the left.
So the bottom line is FSD CANNOT drive this road. And it's a fairly popular road since it goes to Great Brook Farm.
Emailed Tesla.

North Road, Billerica, Ma
Google Maps

Last edited:
Here is the snapshot of a drive on a very windy country road today using V11.4.2.
@28 and @48 you can tell that I had to disengage and reposition the car to the right to avoid cars coming from the opposite direction. Speed was reduced to 20mph but at these turns no faster than 15mph is required. You can see other sections where the car is way too far to the left.
So the bottom line is FSD CANNOT drive this road. And it's a fairly popular road since it goes to Great Brook Farm.

North Road, Billerica, Ma
Google Maps

That road seems it's only wide enough for 1 car and when you see another car, you can move over to the edge / shoulder to let someone pass

Reactions: jebinc
That road seems it's only wide enough for 1 car and when you see another car, you can move over to the edge / shoulder to let someone pass
Yeah, and it's the kind of road where, if one goes off the right verge by, say, a foot, it's going to be Oak Trees R Us on the car. Don't the locals trim the trees back a little on that kind of road?

Reactions: FSDtester#1