Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. A right turn from a left turn lane into oncoming traffic's left turn lane!

View attachment 635951
View attachment 635952
I suppose maybe it knew it was turning from the 2nd-from-right lane, so it should end up in the 2nd-from-right destination lane?

Not exactly sure but this wasn't a good drive. Every turn was messy and confusing. Some good stuff (change lanes towards the end of the video) but some very bad stuff (part where I'm behind the bus on the left turn). Oh well, you get some good and bad drives. I post both types :)

Reactions: WattPwr
Some good stuff (change lanes towards the end of the video)
Nod interesting mix of good and bad. Immediately after that determined lane change, it ends up slowing down to 14mph for this phantom stationary blue box vehicle that it can't decide if it should follow or not.. because it doesn't actually exist!

phantom blue.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Frenchie
My list of this 1.9 mile drive:

1 (1:15) Advances on left car, Intervention. Cuts off right car, straddles the lane after turning. Intervention to intersection
2 (2:15) Right turn from left-turn lane, drives in oncoming lane past oncoming car, stays across double-yellow as it passes stopped car. Should have been a safety disengagement but was left to continue
3 (2:30) Left turn into/to left of oncoming traffic where it should have gone to the right. Disengagement. Entered on stale yellow, continued through red light
4 (3:15) Fails to get into Right turn lane. Turns right from straight ahead lane anyway. (3:45) Attempts to go to left of oncoming traffic shown as yellow, ends up driving in oncoming lane. Disengagement
5 (4:20) Attempts to pass left-turning bus on the left (4:50) Turns and drives into oncoming lane while turning left. Disengagement
6 (7:45) Abrupt lane change followed by abrupt speed reduction for no reason

Pretty terrible really. Why is it driving into oncoming traffic so much, and why is it trying to drive to the left of oncoming traffic?

• Disagree
Reactions: WattPwr
At first I thought this was a simple case of FSD beta failing to follow guiding stripes when making a left turn from the center turn lane (of 3 lanes: left, left/straight/right, right) and turned into the wrong lane (of 5 lanes: left, left, straight, straight, straight). But after checking street view, it looks like the guiding Botts' dots actually disappears in the middle of the intersection and might be in the process of being painted as stripes.

guiding stripes.jpg

Here there were 2 lead vehicles also turning from the center lane correctly going to the center straight lane, but here FSD beta path visualization already starts to go left of those turning vehicles into the left straight lane. This screenshot only shows ~5 Botts' dots before it disappears, but compare that to the opposite side of this highway intersection where it was newly painted:

repainted stripes.jpg

Here it's clear the left lane goes to the left straight lane (or either of the 2 left turn lanes) while the center turn lane goes to the center straight lane. I wonder if this is something that just needs to get encoded in map data although people do seem to figure out how to correctly navigate (maybe even on their first attempt)?

Man, I've got one protected left turn that I have to take all the time that I would love to see how the FSD beta would handle. Any of you people with the beta ever in the upper east bay in norcal, around Pinole/Hercules? I'd even meet you there with the drone to get overhead/external footage because I think it'll be that much entertainment

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
It’s been a while since the last update, right? 3 weeks? I think we’ve moved from weekly, to biweekly, and now at least every 3 weeks (or more).
Bingo! Which makes this thread a little less compelling at the moment. Hopefully with all of the time that has passed the next version will have some significant improvements.

This sub 3 minute preview video from AIDRIVR shows his new camera setup which will be nice for future videos.
The future of my channel (sneak peak, no commentary)

My list of this 1.9 mile drive:

1 (1:15) Advances on left car, Intervention. Cuts off right car, straddles the lane after turning. Intervention to intersection
2 (2:15) Right turn from left-turn lane, drives in oncoming lane past oncoming car, stays across double-yellow as it passes stopped car. Should have been a safety disengagement but was left to continue
3 (2:30) Left turn into/to left of oncoming traffic where it should have gone to the right. Disengagement. Entered on stale yellow, continued through red light
4 (3:15) Fails to get into Right turn lane. Turns right from straight ahead lane anyway. (3:45) Attempts to go to left of oncoming traffic shown as yellow, ends up driving in oncoming lane. Disengagement
5 (4:20) Attempts to pass left-turning bus on the left (4:50) Turns and drives into oncoming lane while turning left. Disengagement
6 (7:45) Abrupt lane change followed by abrupt speed reduction for no reason

Pretty terrible really. Why is it driving into oncoming traffic so much, and why is it trying to drive to the left of oncoming traffic?
Are you expecting any change in FSD behavior knowing that complex city street driving particularly Chicago has significant problems? Nothing new here.

It’s been a while since the last update, right? 3 weeks? I think we’ve moved from weekly, to biweekly, and now at least every 3 weeks (or more).
Yea. Although it was the same for the last one. Near a month when they got 10.1. That was over the holiday, so that kind of explained the delay.

I could be wrong, but it could be possible that they're not getting the results they want. It takes 70,000 GPU hours to train their NN. If I remember correctly, it takes 72 real hours for them. I would assume they aren't releasing a new build unless it is "better" than the last.

Since each build is a whole new driver. It's very possible that you might get 10-15 that are 1 step forward and 2 steps bsck instead of the opposite