Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AIDRIVR has a good video on what to know about FSD Beta when you get the "button":

Really like that video. The wife has one disagreement with it by her 35 years in the legal profession of processing thousands of accident claims. It is NOT automatically your fault if the Tesla does a phantom braking and someone rear-ends you if they are tailgating. In "general" if someone real-ends you, they are at fault. While certainly not always true, it is also not true that you are always at fault as claimed in the video. Having said that, it certainly is a good idea to not tempt fate and to take over in any such situations.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Things have been eerily quiet. To me that likely means that we are still quite a ways from seeing a broader rollout of FSD. But if you want to be optimistic then it could also mean that they are working very hard on the next big release so that we are within a month or so of the FSD rollout.

I'm not overly optimistic at this point though. Things seem to have stalled and it's feeling more like the Advanced Summon saga all over again.

What happened with the smart summon saga? I bought my M3 last March and by then it was available. It's still just a party trick of course.
The release of smart summon got delayed and delayed and delayed, etc. Then it started slowly showing up on YouTube to very limited beta testers and then it got delayed and delayed and delayed. Eventually came out and was cool but as you say - mostly a party trick.

I think FSD is FAR more than a party trick so there's no similarity there. But it's starting to feel like it could be quite some time before the general public sees FSD in their cars.

Reactions: Microterf
The release of smart summon got delayed and delayed and delayed, etc. Then it started slowly showing up on YouTube to very limited beta testers and then it got delayed and delayed and delayed. Eventually came out and was cool but as you say - mostly a party trick.

I think FSD is FAR more than a party trick so there's no similarity there. But it's starting to feel like it could be quite some time before the general public sees FSD in their cars.
Ahh. Damn. I just looked up the tweet from elon saying 6 weeks out Nov 1st 2018. Wide releasee was almost a year later.

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33

I dont like the delays to FSD either, especially as I put down $$ like others for a major feature I've yet to see. But, there is one thing that would be catastrophically worse than a delayed FSD release, and that's a premature FSD release.

Let's say everyone here got their wish and Tesla released an unfinished FSD beta to everyone. Forget all the legalese screens warning us about "Beta only .. blah blah" and "You are in control .. blah blah" .. what would actually happen? Within one week some teenage joker would post a (faked) YouTikFaceBookTokTube video showing them asleep while the car drove them to school. And a week after that we get a major crash caused by FSD with the usual hysterical headlines in the press ("Self driving car hits pedestrian!! Lawyers express regret over fees they will be forced to charge suing Tesla!"). Followed by politicians jumping on a quick populist agenda ("I raised this issue in the legislature! I pledge to ban this public menace until it is made 100% safe! What? Oh yes, my personal Tesla is exempt of course."). And Tesla are forced to shut down FSD for years until they get government approval (and we all know how long that will take).

Tesla aren't stupid, they know this, and so they are being just a bit more cautious with the rollout. Sure, I'm disappointed I'm not on the beta, but come on guys, would you rather wait, or watch that scenario happen?

I dont like the delays to FSD either, especially as I put down $$ like others for a major feature I've yet to see. But, there is one thing that would be catastrophically worse than a delayed FSD release, and that's a premature FSD release.

Let's say everyone here got their wish and Tesla released an unfinished FSD beta to everyone. Forget all the legalese screens warning us about "Beta only .. blah blah" and "You are in control .. blah blah" .. what would actually happen? Within one week some teenage joker would post a (faked) YouTikFaceBookTokTube video showing them asleep while the car drove them to school. And a week after that we get a major crash caused by FSD with the usual hysterical headlines in the press ("Self driving car hits pedestrian!! Lawyers express regret over fees they will be forced to charge suing Tesla!"). Followed by politicians jumping on a quick populist agenda ("I raised this issue in the legislature! I pledge to ban this public menace until it is made 100% safe! What? Oh yes, my personal Tesla is exempt of course."). And Tesla are forced to shut down FSD for years until they get government approval (and we all know how long that will take).

Tesla aren't stupid, they know this, and so they are being just a bit more cautious with the rollout. Sure, I'm disappointed I'm not on the beta, but come on guys, would you rather wait, or watch that scenario happen?

Third option: Let us transfer FSD to newly-purchased cars until it's a fully-delivered product, so we don't have anxiety about never getting what we paid for during the lifetime of the car.

Now THIS would be an equitable solution for those purchasing their next Tesla.

It's *SUCH* an easy win for everyone, too. People like me who are ready for a new car can buy one without feeling screwed and without switching brands (hell, if anything it'll increase the likelihood people will stay with the brand), Tesla gets to sell more cars.

It's *SUCH* an easy win for everyone, too. People like me who are ready for a new car can buy one without feeling screwed and without switching brands (hell, if anything it'll increase the likelihood people will stay with the brand), Tesla gets to sell more cars.
I think it's such an easy win that Tesla is holding off until they are forced to do it. It's an easy bargaining chip. They can surely see that, but won't allow it until it benefits them more in their own weird little way.

Yup. Look at your insurance policy, specifically the liability coverage. It's probably multiples of the car's value and >10x cost of the FSD option.

Third option: Let us transfer FSD to newly-purchased cars until it's a fully-delivered product, so we don't have anxiety about never getting what we paid for during the lifetime of the car.

Sadly, my guess if they are in an accounting black hole. If they made it transferable it probably changes how they can realize the FSD revenue (though I'm no expert, perhaps an accountant here would like to chime in?).

Sadly, my guess if they are in an accounting black hole. If they made it transferable it probably changes how they can realize the FSD revenue (though I'm no expert, perhaps an accountant here would like to chime in?).
Not an accountant, but it would seemingly have no effect on revenue recognition.

However, overall Tesla revenue would be affected because subsequent purchasers would no longer buy the FSD they might otherwise be inclined to do.

Reactions: Microterf
I don't see how that would impact the revenue recognition, as an accountant. It would mostly affect future revenues since folks would not have the same FSD over and over again. I think that Tesla made a mistake by jacking up the price of FSD this high. Once folks realize that level 4/5 FSD is years away, I would expect the take up rate to go down. I know I won't be buying it on the next car, because in its current iteration, it's no worth $10K, not even close. The only things I miss are auto lane change, and once in a great while, self parking, and neither of those functions are worth $10K.

Reactions: edseloh
*** I'm fine with deleting this if it is too far off topic *** I was shocked by it actually.
For comparison
Title: Driving the Mach e on Co-Pilot on Backroads
Well there's a Waymo thread, could you create a Ford one? Maybe it could be in the general Autonomous Car Progress thread.

Anyway, as far as the video. After the first failed right curve and the first failed left curve I don't know what the driver is thinking. It clearly can't function on those roads. He's going into the ditch soon and his poor unsecured dogs are going through the windshield (or into whatever airbag there is for rear seat dogs).

Does it say Co-Pilot is safe for those roads? I doubt it.

It's going to be an interesting time with all these fledgling FSD-type cars being "torture tested" in inadvisable ways. Here, pass me a beer, I don't need to hold the wheel any more, I was told the car could drive now. Sigh.

Last edited:
The reason is simple. They want the recurring revenue of a subscription. The subscription will be cheaper than purchasing for most people, so it will be a no brainer (I think between $150 and $200/month ).

Elon will justify saying purchase is cheaper because the cars can go a million miles and last well past 10 years, which may be true, but for most new car buyers, they won't keep it nearly as long.

Once the subscription comes out, it's a no brainer for people who are waiting to switch because now they can pay the subscription. Did they waste $5k? Yes. Is there a better alternative currently out there? No.

For my math logic I'm assuming most new Tesla owners will keep the car between 4-6 years, and by the time we have a subscription, the price of FSD will go up to at least 15k.

I've read that the current take is between 20-30% have purchased FSD, and I would expect that to get to the 70-90% of purchases if you price it under $150/month.

I totally agree with this option however, it is going to piss me off even more. What about those guinea pigs like me who actually bought into 2016 fake FSD video and got nothing out of it and have already traded for another tesla? It's easy to blame me for trading it in but still I didn't get anything out of it for supporting tesla when needed the most.