Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then that’s the same issue that they need to fix: the car’s wheels should be straight until it is going to go, otherwise you get situations like this where at the very least the car freaks out both the Tesla driver and the driver of the oncoming car.

Yup, it's a very difficult issue to fix though, as whatever the solution is, it needs to be applicable for the entire USA.

Clearly Tesla is using airbag deployment as being the determining factor of classifying something as an accident. So that Google accident years ago going 1mph wouldn’t count nor would rear ends going either way, nor brushes and collisions
wouldn’t count.

to show you how hard of a collision ayou can get into without a airbag deployment:

so the entire safety bs that Tesla spews is a sham and will continue to be a sham. Until NHTSA actually does it’s job and requires data on collisions/contacts.

Lots of impressive behaviors here with some new in Beta 10 including the turn in the underground parking lot (might have been assisted this time by the cones) and waiting for the pedestrian in the street with clear intention to cross.

Here's potentially another case of neural network overfitting on Bay Area patterns:
one way left.jpg

I think a lot of larger 1-way streets (especially in San Francisco?) have 1-way cross traffic, so until the car gets a clearer view of the yellow line in the center, it predicts it needs to turn into the left-most lane, which is actually 2-way traffic here. Obviously, the multiple cars facing to the right should be a clear indicator it's a 2-way street without needing to see the yellow lines, so more training data should "easily" fix this.

Very nice drive, made some impressive unprotected lefts, but ya, I have trouble seeing a wide release with 10.0.1. Perhaps 10.1 is the amazing SeKReT SauCe version Tesla has been developing in Elon's basement since 2016.
I think in three -five days fsd team will stumble upon fsd beta 11. Limited value in testing beta 10 so the button will come out 3-4 weeks after beta 11 is released to the testers in about two weeks to ensure no major issues.

Clearly Tesla is using airbag deployment as being the determining factor of classifying something as an accident. So that Google accident years ago going 1mph wouldn’t count nor would rear ends going either way, nor brushes and collisions
wouldn’t count.

to show you how hard of a collision ayou can get into without a airbag deployment:

so the entire safety bs that Tesla spews is a sham and will continue to be a sham. Until NHTSA actually does it’s job and requires data on collisions/contacts.
That's not quite correct. This was discussed a while back. It triggers whenever the crash module triggers, including when the seat belt pretensioners trigger. Airbag deployment is not required for it to count as a crash.
Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

Reactions: EVNow

pretty good drive. A couple of disengagement’s on the way back.

11:05 - unprotected left disengagement. I personally probably would have gone for it as a human (I think, hard to judge how different it would look in person as opposed to the camera), but I would have gunned it if I was going. Beta tends to be timid, so right call to intervene.

15:25 - unprotected left disengagement. The dots go gray, so I’m assuming the car was planning on stopping, but I sure wouldn’t be betting my life on it and I would have slammed on the brakes myself. Tesla needs needs needs to change the logic of the beta to keep the wheels straight on a turn until the car confirms the way is clear and it’s ready to go. Having it start the turn while creeping on an unprotected left with oncoming traffic just freaks out both the Tesla driver and any oncoming drivers. Just really stupid turn logic.

15:25 - unprotected left disengagement. The dots go gray, so I’m assuming the car was planning on stopping, but I sure wouldn’t be betting my life on it and I would have slammed on the brakes myself. Tesla needs needs needs to change the logic of the beta to keep the wheels straight on a turn until the car confirms the way is clear and it’s ready to go. Having it start the turn while creeping on an unprotected left with oncoming traffic just freaks out both the Tesla driver and any oncoming drivers. Just really stupid turn logic.
They should also clearly indicate whether just creeping or going to turn. BTW, on right turns it would be fine to turn as the car creeps. Either way should indicate through voice + dashboard during beta ...

Reactions: Matias
They should also clearly indicate whether just creeping or going to turn. BTW, on right turns it would be fine to turn as the car creeps. Either way should indicate through voice + dashboard during beta ...

In order for it to work well, I think there needs to be a chime or sounds indicating when it intends to proceed or stop. At this point, the FSD beta user experience is lacking for the types of maneuvers it handles.

However, it's actually difficult to program for these types of chimes, because all unprotected lefts don't "look" the same, and creating procedural code to define an unprotected left isn't straightforward.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and DanCar
In order for it to work well, I think there needs to be a chime or sounds indicating when it intends to proceed or stop. At this point, the FSD beta user experience is lacking for the types of maneuvers it handles.

However, it's actually difficult to program for these types of chimes, because all unprotected lefts don't "look" the same, and creating procedural code to define an unprotected left isn't straightforward.
At the very least it needs to do a text on the screen, then ideally do text to speech. Other ADAS systems in China do this already for their NOA equivalents and keep the driver far better informed about what the car is intending to do.

Fairly sure, they need to know whether the turn in unprotected or not. Otherwise they can't handle it. They probably have unprotected left turn specific code, anyway.

In the early days of beta they need to provide sounds, voice & text (configurable to be disabled) - so we know exactly what the car knows / is doing. For eg. now it will tell us if its going to sop at traffic lights or not.

Fairly sure, they need to know whether the turn in unprotected or not. Otherwise they can't handle it. They probably have unprotected left turn specific code, anyway.

Yea, I'm not too sure. It's possible that the car simply plans out a path and proceeds or not based on the traffic controls and projected paths of dynamic objects, so it doesn't really "know" it's an unprotected left or not. It's also possible that it does know for many of them but not all of them.