Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just figuring out what other actors on the road will do ?
This.

As of now, it'll quite often make the right decision, but be extremely slow about it. Other times it gets the guess about what the other car is going to do correctly, but responds as if it has completely misjudged the other vehicle's speed and/or distance, and put you in a dangerous position. And of course other times it just completely gets its guess about what the other car is going to do completely wrong. But to be fair, it isn't completely wrong very often... unless you count going around traffic in front of you that is stopped at a traffic signal. If you include that, then it is wrong far, far too often. ;)

It doesn't seem to just struggle with deciding what another actor is going to do, but even if it does decide correctly, it misjudges the distance and speed of the other vehicle.

So not only do they need to work on the "what is the other guy gonna do" logic, but it appears that the accuracy of the distance/speed and even direction of other vehicles needs quite a bit of work as well.

Maybe I just need to do another camera calibration...

Reactions: VValleyEV
One more - for those who say FSD works well only in Bay Area / CA.

Chicago - and Frenchie has been producing trustworthy videos. I think its a question of getting used to FSD and not intervening unless there is a crash risk.

Interesting how the Beta aborted trying to make the turn onto the street with the closed road sign. First time I think I’ve seen it re-route instead of slowly meandering it’s way either toward the road closed sign, the small side street for parking cars, or the open half of the street.

Reactions: Matias
Very much this.

If I look back on all of my disengagements and interventions, the majority of them are not due to crash risk, but either impatience on my part, not wanting to inconvenience other drivers, or phantom braking/slowing.

That's not to say that FSD doesn't do dangerous things, though. It is rare to get through a drive without it doing something that twitches the dangerous meter to one degree or another.

IME, most of the dangerous things FSD does is due to poor decisions made by the "what is the other guy gonna do/doing?" algorithms. It is a rare exception that the car does something dangerous that doesn't involve another car or VRU; it's ability to actually drive the car is quite impressive. Its decision making is markedly less so. One big exception here is its dangerous behavior in traffic circles (even with no other cars), and its occasional urge to run red lights. Other than those two things, though, FSD's ability to navigate the world is impressive.

Hopefully, we'll see decision making rapidly improve as they switch it over from hard code to NN.
It would be really interesting to set up a bunch of FSD Beta vehicles within an area of city, plot intersecting routes, and see how they all interact with one another. I don't think I've seen anything like that before, or even seen how two FSD Beta vehicles interact with one another.

Who would move first at a 4-way stop, how they'd interact with each other when doing unprotected turns, etc etc. I feel like there would be some interesting and probably substantial differences compared to how they interact with human drivers on the road.

Reactions: daktari
It would be really interesting to set up a bunch of FSD Beta vehicles within an area of city, plot intersecting routes, and see how they all interact with one another. I don't think I've seen anything like that before, or even seen how two FSD Beta vehicles interact with one another.

Who would move first at a 4-way stop, how they'd interact with each other when doing unprotected turns, etc etc. I feel like there would be some interesting and probably substantial differences compared to how they interact with human drivers on the road.
Long term goal would be to have the FSD vehicles communicating with each other. This could be more important on the highway (safe following, alerting others of hazards ahead, bad weather, etc). Today they'll just act like human drivers.

Long term goal would be to have the FSD vehicles communicating with each other. This could be more important on the highway (safe following, alerting others of hazards ahead, bad weather, etc). Today they'll just act like human drivers.
You can see the beginnings of this in Apple CarPlay, although it's a manual effort right now. But I've come across a few of these on my highway driving

Attachments

• carplay01.jpg
    carplay01.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 75
Yes and no.

I regularly drive on FSDbeta without any destination set. The driver's turn signals don't seem to do anything at turns and it's a bit worrying. I wish FSDbeta would take the very strong hint (signalling left or right) from the driver being in a turn-only lane and switch paths.

If you're in a turning lane then the car *should* turn appropriately. In this case from straight ahead (wrong) to left (correct) when the light turned green.

1638289438468.png

FSD testers - Are you able to let the car continue on FSD beta, with no navigation destination set, and have it continue to drive, making turns at the appropriate intersections by manually using the turn signals?

Agreed. The turn signals only allow you to switch into turn-only lanes, but won't initiate any turns.

You can enable FSD Beta without a destination, but the path it takes seems to be random. The turn signal will cause a lane change but will not force the car to turn.

Not destroyed. Wealthy and getting wealthier. Einhorn and others like him still get paid when his dumb investors take huge losses. Einhorn gets $$$, plenty of air-time on CNBC, and cred from TSLAQ.

Until the truth could not be suppressed and they lost billions, and lots more people became teslanairres.

This is a good summary. I actually didn't know that so many of the prominent short sellers had such a significant decrease of assets under management. They've been destroyed.

Reactions: EVNow
Until the truth could not be suppressed and they lost billions, and lots more people became teslanairres.
This is getting OT - but I and several others also lost millions in options in '19.
Not destroyed. Wealthy and getting wealthier. Einhorn and others like him still get paid when his dumb investors take huge losses. Einhorn gets $$$, plenty of air-time on CNBC, and cred from TSLAQ.
Absolutely - the smarter shorts have made a lot from volatility and FUD they generate. Its the retail shorts that go bankrupt.

Reactions: mark95476
Impressive, but it could be a fluke if it was only once out of four. Hopefully that is new behavior that just needs more refining and not just a one off.
In try #2 (really BAD) and #4 it stoped in the lanes of traffic. I bet #3 was the same type of "dumb" stopping behavior but just "lucked up" and stoped in the median.

EDIT: Just to add in another (different) left with median unprotected left turn at 27:45 it stops in the lanes of traffic again. Looks like this may be a regression in 10.6. Can't be stoping literally in the middle of the road.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier