Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you,
reposting his comment here (definitely his style)
So, it seems those "restrictions" were not from Tesla but from the actual owner of the Tesla who is in the EAP beta and did not want to risk losing it:
upload_2020-10-28_9-48-56.png

He must have been confused initially, because the comment on YouTube was with the snarky "typical Tesla"...

I understand how folks can have different takeaways from all these videos. It's going to depend on your view of what's possible in the future and your general perception of risk.

For me personally - I'm FAR more encouraged than discouraged by what I'm seeing. There are instances where FSD shocks me in an positive way and also some instances where I have some concern. But overall - I'm highly encouraged.

It's to be seen yet whether the challenging areas represent true barriers or whether they can be solved by continued development.

I intentionally leased my Model 3 because I wasn't convinced that the current hardware (I'm talking cameras and sensors, not computer chip) was going to be the ultimate setup for true FSD. I think my position has changed but only slightly. I think they are close but I still suspect we will see tweaks in the next year or so.

I'll probably buy my next Tesla because I think we are close enough in terms of hardware.

Great thread - thanks for starting so we can have everything in one spot.

I'm starting to wonder if FSD isn't going to be rolled out more broadly within a month or so. I use Auto Pilot every day for my city driving and this FSD Beta seems to be much better/safer than what I'm currently using. Yes - you HAVE to stay attentive but my goodness... this is a huge leap forward.

While I appreciate the reasons for a limited rollout I'm also curious what more they are hoping to tweak before getting it out to the masses?

As an example - with Advanced Summon, it was clear that it needed more time in the hopper before unleashing to the broader public. The traffic control response on the other hand was rolled out fairly quickly. I really think that FSD is similar to the traffic control rollout. We could see this in broader release sooner rather than later.

Or am I just being crazy?

Last edited:
Tesla Full Self Driving in 360° - 24:38
Dude needs to stop letting the car turn from the wrong lane. Override that and then hit the camera button to let Tesla know that it’s screwing up. Not only would that be safer for everyone on the road, it also lets Tesla know that the car is doing something wrong so they can try to fix it. If you just let the car do whatever so you “can see what it would do”, then I would assume that would actually hold back possible improvements. I’m sure Tesla would give priority consideration to any data they get from disengagements or from people hitting that button on the screen, and if people just let the car do whatever worst case Tesla might not log that as a problem at all.

The drone footage puts into perspective the "oh my god" exclamations in the YouTuber's video. In the situation where the YouTuber commented that the Tesla came pretty close to the parked car (Jeep??), the drone footage showed that the Tesla actually centered itself (with a couple feet clearance) between the parked car and the painted road divider. The only question in that situation is whether the Tesla should have driven on top of the center road divider.

Yeah, and you can see in the FSD inset (upper left) that the Tesla saw the red car ahead, i.e. would have reacted. So this is really a bit of a non - event. I suspect Tesla modifies the NN to take into account human perception of the driving safety, and not just the safety itself. So in this case in future it would start turning earlier to keep the driver happy, even though it would not increase the safety.

Another example is when the FSDbeta driver panicked that the car turned too early, as she could not see around the curve - as the curve from her point was occluded. But the Tesla car has cameras in front, and can thus see what the driver does not see. So in this case, only to keep us simple humans happy, the Tesla car will probably purposefully go slower for these cases.