Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if there's a written law or regulation about double parked cars, but the unspoken rule is that once you've stopped in that situation, especially if another car had to pass you, you would yield for other traffic that was behind you. In this situation, another car had already passed the truck, and the Tesla was in the middle of passing as well. Passing laws in most states say that you have to allow the passing car to pass you without you speeding up. My only issue with the Tesla in this case is that it was kinda slow to pass, but then again, it was playing it safe.

I don't agree with you at all that the driver should have disengaged. It would have messed up an interesting (and relatively safe) situation to test FSD.
This is the position of the truck when it starts moving and the Tesla driver decides to pass. I think in this situation they never should have passed in the first place. The safer course of action is to go behind the truck because it has dropped off the kid and started moving.
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 1.40.14 PM.png

I thought it passed too fast for a residential area with kids around and limited visibility!
To achieve better than average human safety the car may need to do things that many drivers consider overly cautious.
I think the attitude of "lets see what happens" in many of these videos may be a big problem for the safety of the system. People allowing the car to turn from the wrong lane is dumb and is of no benefit to the development of the system!

This is the position of the truck when it starts moving and the Tesla driver decides to pass. I think in this situation they never should have passed in the first place. The safer course of action is to go behind the truck because it has dropped off the kid and started moving.

While the truck was dropping off the passenger, the Tesla was already intending to pass, albeit slowly. The onus is on the truck to make sure the coast is clear before starting to move again. The truck started too soon, then realized the Tesla was intending to pass, so it stopped. There was no confusion there. The Tesla actually did the correct assertive action in this situation. Many other FSD software would likely have emergency braked once the truck started moving, even slightly. That's my interpretation, but yes, not 100% of drivers would pass in this situation, but I would say a majority would.

While the truck was dropping off the passenger, the Tesla was already intending to pass, albeit slowly....
I would have 100% passed them. When you stop in the road, hinder traffic and open door(s) you give up the right of way and must yield to a ANY traffic.

Good on Tesla for bring aggressive and safe. One of my concerns is FSD cars will be seen as passive and OVERLY cautious with active drivers aggressively taking advantage.

Last edited:
While the truck was dropping off the passenger, the Tesla was already intending to pass, albeit slowly. The onus is on the truck to make sure the coast is clear before starting to move again. The truck started too soon, then realized the Tesla was intending to pass, so it stopped. There was no confusion there. The Tesla actually did the correct assertive action in this situation. Many other FSD software would likely have emergency braked once the truck started moving, even slightly. That's my interpretation, but yes, not 100% of drivers would pass in this situation, but I would say a majority would.
There was no need to emergency brake, the Tesla had already slowed down for the stopped truck and was in position to follow the truck after it started moving. I think the coast was clear when the truck started moving, the Tesla was still heading straight and had not begun to pass. There was no way to know why the truck stopped a second time until after passing it. I think assertiveness when passing cars on residential streets is probably a bad idea if the goal is greater than human safety.

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93
Continuous drive no disengagement - 8:51 - Tesla Owners Silicon Valley
15 Mile Bay Area Drive - 5:13 - Whole Mars Catalog
While I appreciate any FSD video posted I’m not sure why drivers insist on including highway driving as this isn’t FSD right? At least not the “rewrite” anyway. Also, what’s up with the music? Seems incongruent with a car driving through traffic...

Four Disengagements in San Francisco - 3:16 - Whole Mars Catalog
Version not indicated as of now.

This guy is gonna be the first to have an accident with beta FSD. All the others that have posted appear to understand the responsibility of testing beta software. Hands no where near the wheel on narrow streets. We've seen what it does in similar conditions with Brandon's videos. It's great to see the progress but it's really not that hard to do it properly.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This guy is gonna be the first to have an accident with beta FSD.
His cat like reflexes might have saved him here. :eek: "Felt too close", I think some of these reviewers may be biased! haha
The positive spin is that the perception looks fine, it just seems to be intentionally steering into a parked car.
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 7.16.44 PM.png

The fourth disengagement is also very poorly done. There are two left turn lanes and he drives from the inner one to the outer one mid turn. Unless Tesla starts to monitor their beta testers I feel like this whole experiment is going to get shut down.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Wish Brandon M would chop up his videos into bite size. Hour long videos of driving are just too long. Seems abut 15 minutes max should be the general rule.

Always watch youtube videos at double speed. Go to settings to adjust the speed. 2x is unfortunately the max setting. Trust me, you won't miss a thing. Even at 4x speed you wouldn't miss anything on youtube.........

The fourth disengagement is also very poorly done. There are two left turn lanes and he drives from the inner one to the outer one mid turn. Unless Tesla starts to monitor their beta testers I feel like this whole experiment is going to get shut down.

I wonder whether Tesla will ever make it easier to blend in driver input. It's very difficult to smoothly disengage with a deadzone. In situations like this the only real option is to push up the gear shift level to disengage, and you have to be fast of course.

It's one thing to have their currently garbage system of incorporating user input on the freeway, but quite another in tight spaces. I'm sure as long as they have sufficient precision on their torque sensing they could blend it in. But of course, they use it as a driver monitor, so they can't.