Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doesn't look like fsd has taken drivers ed and learned defensive driving, but once you are in the intersection you have the right of way and other cars must avoid you. Mad Max traffic lights.
True enough but a good human driver will take into consideration the "risk" (larger intersection) into the decision along with when the light turned yellow. No reason FSD cannot be trained to do something similar.

....It feels like I am teaching my 16 year old son how to to drive......
Thanks for the "work" and videos.

• Any indication of the number of people (not employees) that have the Beta (100 or 1000 or 10k or....)?
  • Did Tesla contact you pre Beta for approval and basic instructions?
  • Any idea on how you were selected?
  • Can you do some in city (JAX) driving like on some narrow 2 way with on street parking (pic)?
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 6.03.45 AM.png

Reactions: Microterf
Thanks for the "work" and videos.

• Any indication of the number of people (not employees) that have the Beta (100 or 1000 or 10k or....)?
  • Did Tesla contact you pre Beta for approval and basic instructions?
  • Any idea on how you were selected?
  • Can you do some in city (JAX) driving like on some narrow 2 way with on street parking (pic)?
View attachment 614080

I think there are about 20 of us based on our interactions together on Twitter.

Yes Tesla contacted me and had a verbal agreement and explained all the risks, in addition I signed a several waivers, and legal documents before the initial download.

I was selected based on my experience and fit (according to Tesla), and previous conversations with Tesla.

I have some videos like this on my channel. Take a look at my Lane Center Logic video here:

Chucik

Yes Tesla contacted me and had a verbal agreement and explained all the risks, in addition I signed a several waivers, and legal documents before the initial download.

I was selected based on my experience and fit (according to Tesla), and previous conversations with Tesla.

I have some videos like this on my channel. Take a look at my Lane Center Logic video here:

Chucik
Thanks, I suspected it is an extremely small number.

Also I have watch all your videos and most of all the others.

Chucik
After reading this and all the legalese, I can’t imagine Tesla would release it to a much wider audience anytime soon as it’s still being beta tested. I don’t think in a couple of months they can make thaaat much progress.

Thanks @DirtyT3sla for capturing this with headlights off! Definitely shows how Autopilot can handle much better than what another camera records. Curious, how dark did it seem to you?

View attachment 614168

Aren't the camera feeds going to the Dashcam also compressed? I remember reading that the FSD computers get raw input from the cameras, whereas the Dashcams are compressed. This would mean that the FSD chip gets an even higher quality feed than what we're seeing from the saved Dashcams.

Wow - a lot less than I thought.

I think we should all reset our expectations - it will be several months (may be end of '21) before FSD goes GA.
I think there are a lot more ppl with FSD Beta than just the ones on social media.

I know in Charlotte 1 mobile tech that has FSD beta on his Model 3 and another mobile tech in Savannah GA.
They are employees, but the beta is on their personal cars.

After reading this and all the legalese, I can’t imagine Tesla would release it to a much wider audience anytime soon as it’s still being beta tested. I don’t think in a couple of months they can make thaaat much progress.
I don't think so. I think they are keeping the beta small so that they can manage the direct feedback efficiently. If they've got 20 people giving them direct feedback (via emails and via the "report" button in the car) they can more easily do a detail review and tweak of their systems/processes before rolling out a more autonomous system.

I could be completely wrong. But I suspect that a small release population has more to do with allowing them to do some hand-to-hand combat before rolling this out more broadly to let the system to do the work.

I still expect a release within 3-8 weeks.

Reactions: BriansTesla
I think there are a lot more ppl with FSD Beta than just the ones on social media.

I know in Charlotte 1 mobile tech that has FSD beta on his Model 3 and another mobile tech in Savannah GA.
I agree that there are probably a lot of Tesla employees that have it but keep in mind Tesla has a lot of "control" of them and it is easy to have them NDA. Like I thought there is probably a very limited number of "civilians" that have it and even if it is expanded next week it will still be a minuscule number compared to FSD owners.

Tesla offered great deals to employees in 2018Q4 on the Model 3 in exchange for beta testing FSD. Something like free EAP+FSD.

FSDBeta 6 2020.44.15.4 - All Pedestrians Lots of short clips with pedestrians. The FSD AutoPilot was not engaged in every scenario, but I have had many requests for video with Peds in the visualization.

https://youtu.be/qCj7lHksBDU

I used to live in riverside and one of the things I miss the most about Jacksonville is moon river pizza. At 0:21 I was like "why does this street look familiar, and why do I crave pizza all the sudden?"

I don't think so. I think they are keeping the beta small so that they can manage the direct feedback efficiently. If they've got 20 people giving them direct feedback (via emails and via the "report" button in the car) they can more easily do a detail review and tweak of their systems/processes before rolling out a more autonomous system.

I could be completely wrong. But I suspect that a small release population has more to do with allowing them to do some hand-to-hand combat before rolling this out more broadly to let the system to do the work.

I still expect a release within 3-8 weeks.
I think you’re being extremely optimistic. From what I’ve seen, the release is nowhere close to being ready for a public release. It is EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE, but I liken it to my home full of Amazon echos, being extremely impressive 9/10 times makes that one time it ****s up even more annoying because you come to expect it to be impressive and then one time instead of the fifteen minute timer you thought you set, instead it set a fifty minute timer and your chicken gets over cooked and dry to the point of inedibility. The same holds true here, IMO, where ironically being extremely impressive 99/100 times makes the one time the system ****s up more annoying, but instead of setting an inaccurate timer or playing the wrong song, it’s the driver not paying attention while their five thousand pound vehicle does something wrong while going at speed. The consequences here are a lot more serious. 99/100 means at least a small percentage of people will start to take the system for granted and we have a FSD BETA accident, or god forbid a fatality and a deluge of public relations nightmares comes down on Tesla.

A limited release let’s Tesla personally vet people and personally emphasize that they’re all testers and to be aware of the dangers and limitations of the system over the phone and then have those same people sign a bunch of documents also emphasizing the risks of using the system like Mr Cook said they did with him. By having everyone do that, it’s less likely people will take the system for granted. It’s easier for them to control a small population to try to minimize the chances of an individual user misusing the system. If they did a wide general release, then it would be very difficult to impossible for Tesla to do the same for everyone who would receive the update, and having a pop up or even a number of pop ups come up on the screen before enabling the system where the user has to confirm doesn’t have the same effect, as anyone who has ever skipped past the dozens of EULAs everyone who installed software/apps on their computer/smartphone can attest. I dare say the vast majority of people don’t read the text of the EULAs and just hit confirm.

I hope you’re right, because I do want the system on my car. I’ve delighted in the progression of visualizations on my car and I use AP at nearly every opportunity, but my biggest fear of Tesla doing a quick general wide release would be a quick, enforced clawback a few months down the road and huge scrutiny permanently gimping the capability of my car because of some tragedy. I just don’t see it happening because I think Tesla well understands the risks of public over-reaction and the potential for government crackdown, and will be very sure to do everything they can to perfect the system before a wide release, which likely means multiple waves of slow increases of users as they stop getting enough relevant data from current beta testers to occupy their team before any kind of wide release, which is likely to take a great deal more time than by the end of the year.