Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's not FSD beta, but I wonder if that is an explanation for why when overtaking lorries (trucks) in inside lane of a UK motorway, on passing, the lorry then jumps into middle lane?

Yeah, I've noticed this in the US as well where Autopilot gets very conservative about positioning of large trucks when viewed from non-main cameras. I believe this is one of the primary reasons for adding the birds-eye-view network to learn how to better place objects consistently with the main camera by taking the individual camera predictions and outputting a unified view.

So pre-FSD beta, Autopilot is taking individual camera neural network predictions and manually calculating their positions and combining them, and this regularly causes duplicate or jumpy objects especially when the objects transition between cameras.

@Dave Mac Do you know if this intersection turn lanes changed recently? Heading South on Bladensburg turning right to New York Ave where navigation believes the 2 right lanes are available for turning right while the street signs indicate only the right-most lane can turn right. I believe the middle lane used to be right-turn-only at certain times to improve traffic flow getting on Highway 50, but now it seems like bus timing is more important, so buses can go straight from the right lane:

View attachment 624972

Notably, the OpenStreetMap data for this segment believes the left lane can go straight, middle lane can go straight and right, and right lane can turn right. And if Autopilot was in the middle lane, most likely it would have attempted to turn right potentially in front of a bus going straight.
Code:
turn:lanes     through|through;right|right
Way: ‪Bladensburg Road Northeast‬ (‪581526877‬) | OpenStreetMap

interesting. I have never been there before. FSD is going to have to learn to read those street signs and possible update map data. If you watch the Andrej Karpathy AI videos on YouTube you can see that this is the goal.

Hi all,

Here is a new video. I tried something different this time. I was reviewing a lot of other FSD Beta videos and realized that a lot of them are doing testing outside cities. It's often much wider, markings are better etc... I thought I would give it a try. I went through different superchargers around Chicago. They are all located outside of the city.
Also I noticed people are interested in the number of interventions/disengagements during the drive. I personally don't think it's very interesting/useful but if that's something you guys want to see, happy to include it. I guess it would make sense if we take the same route over and over and see if the number of interventions (over time) reduces.

So tell me what you think:
- Short trips/waypoints with more challenging turns and scenarios BUT with a lot of interventions/disengagements with minimal explanation
- Long trips/suburbs with minimal interventions/disengagements with more explanation BUT less challenging for FSD

Or a mix of both :)

Also, thanks all for your great feedback so far. Was able to incorporate as many as I could. Keep them coming!

Wow, this is probably one of the most dangerous maneuvers FSD beta has tried to do, so good job @Frenchie taking over. I believe in previous attempts navigation also got confused with this route and turned too early, so I suppose it's at least consistently wrong to help the driver be prepared for strange actions:

unexpected reroute.jpg

FSD beta initially thought this was the left turn, and midway through the intersection, it decided to reroute to go straight. Notice the blue Autosteer wheel pointing left while blue path suddenly wanting to steer right with the white oncoming car very close (yellow box in visualization is hard to see). Definitely an example of "may do the wrong thing at the worst time."

Vid from DirtyTesla. Some nice maneuvers and handled a few unprotected turns decently (not much traffic though, and with some aid from the driver goosing the accelerator). DirtyTesla says he’s seen significant improvement, which isn’t an opinion I necessarily share, but he actually drives with it everyday so I’ll defer to his judgment.

So why do they have the report button? Is that when there are no interventions but people think it should have done better?
Yes...that's correct.
An example would be when the vehicle enters a turn lane but only turns on the turn signal after it is already in the lane. If the driver feels it should have used the turn signal before entering the lane they would report that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1208 and mikes_fsd
Thanks all. I actually do force/report/disengage way more when I'm off camera but I was curious if you would want me to do that during recording as well. I personally think it's more interesting to see what the car can do without/with minimal interventions but I'm totally fine changing my approach and forcing it when/if necessary. As always, appreciate the feedback

Thanks all. I actually do force/report/disengage way more when I'm off camera but I was curious if you would want me to do that during recording as well. I personally think it's more interesting to see what the car can do without/with minimal interventions but I'm totally fine changing my approach and forcing it when/if necessary. As always, appreciate the feedback

I personally would like to see what the car would do as long as it is not dangerous or could cause damage. For example, there was a video of a car that did not get into the right lane for a turn, so it would have gone straight. Rather than disengage, it would be good to report it, but let it reroute. That is perhaps not the point of the beta testing, but would be interesting to see some real-life reactions to issues that come up.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Here is a comparison between Standard Autopilot and FSD Beta 9. Enjoy!

Thankyou for posting that. Very useful - not too long, not too short.

With the drive being blessed with very similar conditions, it did however get me wondering what the same drive would have been like had you been driving.

If you were thinking about doing a similar type of video, could you please consider adding a third drive, with you driving normally too (maybe omitting the production AP if time was constrained). That would give a good indication as to what speed and positioning would be considered normal.

Reactions: Huskyf
Here is a comparison between Standard Autopilot and FSD Beta 9. Enjoy!

Good video. This is basically the same outcome I have when I use AP on challenging roads like that. I’ve said this numerous times before on this forum, slowing for curves was perfect on 2020.28.5 over the summer. Some say that it would slow down too much, but at least it would stay in the lane.

Reactions: Frenchie
Thankyou for posting that. Very useful - not too long, not too short.

With the drive being blessed with very similar conditions, it did however get me wondering what the same drive would have been like had you been driving.

If you were thinking about doing a similar type of video, could you please consider adding a third drive, with you driving normally too (maybe omitting the production AP if time was constrained). That would give a good indication as to what speed and positioning would be considered normal.

Great suggestion. Happy to include a manual pass next time.