Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, looks like this can force a truck to be way out of place if it fails to infer an object visible from multiple cameras is actually the same:
This is a big problem in the production EAP/NOA code also. It does not seamlessly handle objects going from one camera view to the next (for example, front to side, or side to front). You can see this manifested as the tracked vehicle suddenly shifting sideways towards or away from the Tesla as it passes or you pass it. It's worse when it's a large truck (semi) or bus. Once on NOA, it freaked out when it was changing lanes from 1 to 2 just ahead of a truck in lane 3. When the lane change was halfway done, and I was ~1.5 car lengths ahead of the truck, it thought the truck was now in lane 2 and aborted with alarm blaring.

This problem has been around for ages. I'm surprised it never seems to get any better. They will really need to get object tracking across camera views rock solid to get rid of these phantom panic attacks.

This problem has been around for ages. I'm surprised it never seems to get any better. They will really need to get object tracking across camera views rock solid to get rid of these phantom panic attacks.

... which is exactly what you are seeing with the FSD beta. Tesla has been re-writing the AI stack using the power of HW3 to generate a composite birds-eye view (BEV) of the surroundings by integrating data from all the cameras (this is what you in the colorful display in all the FSD beta videos). The first fruits of this are the FSD beta, later I'm sure it will replace the current NoA stack for freeway driving (and smart summon too).

• Informative
Reactions: wjax
You can tell the labeling is in 3D now because the lane markings in the visualization don't bounce up and down when the car goes over a speed bump or changes grade. With the current autopilot, you can clearly see it's labeling on a flat 2D image because the visualization bounces around as the camera does.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Fair fair. I will also freely admit that I am incredibly biased against "social media influencers", especially who got their cars after I did, and incredibly biased towards myself, in terms of who I think should have the beta. :D
Agreed. They definitely need to include a certain engineer from a very rainy, sometimes snowy, hilly city too.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Ah, as expected, the reality check video. A regression in that it is going into the middle of the road on two way streets now, sigh. A couple of good turns, but more bad ones, albeit these are very tough and/or complex turns that Chuck is testing on.

I don’t think there was regression here.

In previous versions, the car would stop short of the position needed for visibility and either sit there or just go even if traffic was coming.

Now, we’re at least seeing it creep forward and it even picked the right time to go a few times. The problem was just related to committal.

Given the old conversation was “can it even see the oncoming lanes?”, I’d call that a big step forward.

I think Tesla just needs to work on scenarios where there’s a central median with space for the car to potentially turn into.

FSD beta 11 (2020.48.35.6) is rolling out now. It will be interesting to see what changes there are and if it goes to a wider test group. No videos have been posted as of now.

Given that the version number increased just by 5 (last digit), I would expect to see few visible changes. (And still 6-week old code). On the other hand, if this code is from 6 weeks ago, why would they put out a .1 release followed by a .5 release a few days later?

Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

FSD beta 11 (2020.48.35.6) is rolling out now. It will be interesting to see what changes there are and if it goes to a wider test group. No videos have been posted as of now.
Wonder when we will see the first 2021.x.x? Last year it was 4.x released on Jan 27th and Tesla seems to generally follow a 4 week release schedule. Will this be the mystical V11 and will the new code replace all the old code and be used up (NoA) and down (parking/Summon)? And hopefully added to all FSD cars with City features disabled for now.

Last edited:
Wonder when we will see the first 2021.x.x? Last year it was 4.x released on Jan 27th and Tesla seems to generally follow a 4 week release schedule. Will this be the mystical V11 and will the new code replace all the old code and be used up (NoA) and down (parking/Summon)? And hopefully added to all FSD cars with City features disabled for now.
Hopefully it has more fart noise options. I’m getting pretty bored with our current rotation.

• Funny
Reactions: momo3605 and wjax
Obviously we're making a ton of assumptions based on our experiences. Makes me wonder if the FSD code base is updated/merged with changes made to the production code base? Or if they are currently maintained separately to be merged later? Personally I wouldn't put much concern into NOT seeing a 2021* FSD release - being alpha code it wouldn't surprise me at all that we have two independent workflows occurring - one FSD and the other "new fart noises". It would be easy to rationalize a decision like "let's keep the FSD code on this 2020.48.35.* numbering until ready for release (or code merge) as this initiative has a temporary life span anyway".

Of course this too is wild speculation. Have any FSD releases shown "new" features that have been recently seen in the normal release, i.e. fonts?

Just a stray neuron firing here. Could be way off base.

Update:
They are referring to this build as FSD beta 10.1 because the only change is the wide screen being implemented again. It's interesting that some testers still had the wide screen on the last version but most did not.

Update:
They are referring to this build as FSD beta 10.1 because the only change is the wide screen being implemented again. It's interesting that some testers still had the wide screen on the last version but most did not.

Agreed. That's the only change I saw. Here are the release notes. I initially missed it since I always had the wide UI but then watched my video from FSD Beta 10 and realized that the button was not there in the previous version. It's back on now. Nothing else on the release notes or settings. I went for a 10 min drive with 10.1 and my drive was quick smooth. Still has issues though. I'll post my first drive soon.

Reactions: n.one.one
In the past that ROAD CLOSED would fail 100% of the time. I tested it today and I get a 50% improvement. Here are the screenshots of the 1st day and today.

A3EEE1FA-A299-47F8-8ECA-903FF1614B73.jpeg

If you're asking why Autopilot wanted to drive through barriers in the first place, I believe the path planner knows it needs to make a right turn and looks at the neural network output to "select the best path that goes right" (as opposed to the highest predicted path likely going straight). As you recorded:
View attachment 629509
and others have recorded:
View attachment 629510

The predicted path can happily ignore other predictions such as barriers, road edges or medians/islands:
View attachment 629514

Where in this last example, the path planner wants something going straight, and the neural network not having trained enough on intersections with intersection islands ends up falling back to what it knows of "well, going straight through an intersection path generally looks like this" even if the path goes right through a separately predicted median. Autopilot engineers long term probably want to train the network to predict a curving path around the island as the most likely path for straight, but in the short term, I wouldn't be surprised if FSD beta worked around the issue by having the logic be "select the best path that goes straight -- but ignore those that go through medians."

If you're asking how FSD beta 10 could improve even without a full firmware update, which could include neural network and path selection logic updates… Some have speculated that map updates could happen between firmware updates, and those generally require being on WiFi to download. One type of map update could be to indicate there are no turn lanes to the smaller Randolph Street segment from Green Street thus trying to have navigation and path planner avoid selecting a turn at the first intersection.

However, even with that type of map update, it's up to the neural network perception to predict which lanes are associated to which intersections, so that could be why it's not 100% success. Indeed according to the map data, there are 3 intersections in close proximity that are all "Randolph & Green," and the barriers make the predictions less confident.

So similar to the potential short term fix of ignoring paths through medians, there could be a firmware update to avoid paths through temporary barriers (assuming those are existing neural network predictions and/or those would need to be trained to better accuracy). Higher level, this probably is a whole set of "what to do with construction and road closures" that would also affect how navigation selects what routes to take, and maybe Tesla has decided this is something to address after a wide release.
I simply can’t understand why it would want to drive through a roadblock. Shouldn’t there be software 1.0 code “don’t drive through roadblock”?

Of course if it can’t see the roadblock, then I understand.

Reactions: Dan D.
#FSDBeta 10.1 - 2020.48.35.6 - A great example of a rolling unprotected left turn in the rain.

@Chazman92 It did the same to me at traffic light as well. If there is no cross traffic and the light is green, if you come rolling and turning left, it will keep rolling and proceed through. That's a great improvement. I'll be testing that more soon.