Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me know what you think of “Brandon’s layout”. The screen camera needs more work. Any thoughts on adding the accelerometer data?

I would say the screen inset is too small within the video frame, and there is too much sky at the top of the view. The wide angle was nice, but I would put the camera inside the car and frame things so the driving space is at the top and the inset of the screen is at the bottom where the dash/hood would otherwise be seen. If you can arrange it so there is a partial view out the side windows, so much the better (I think Brandon or Chuck has this). I guess another option is to keep the same camera placement, but enlarge the screen inset and put it in one of the top corners. There is too much jostling of the screen camera (but you knew that already ;-).

I didn't find the accelerometer useful, but if there's room to show it, it couldn't hurt.

As interesting as the FSD videos have been how many other people are now just waiting for the next release before watching more videos? Count me in that category. It's pretty clear now what FSD does well and what it does poorly. Certainly few if any surprises left
so I'll just wait now. For those that like to tear apart new videos have at it but I think most people would prefer you wait until the next FSD beta:)

As interesting as the FSD videos have been how many other people are now just waiting for the next release before watching more videos? Count me in that category. It's pretty clear now what FSD does well and what it does poorly. Certainly few if any surprises left
so I'll just wait now. For those that like to tear apart new videos have at it but I think most people would prefer you wait until the next FSD beta:)

Yep, and I'm getting more and more frustrated that we don't have it yet. Let everyone have it, like AP. We have to be responsible anyway. Just give me the damn waiver.

Haha, I don't think it's that easy. I know a lot of people are ready for the rough spots, but remember: anything released publicly needs to be safe not just when used by average people, but also when used by the absolute dumbest MFer you've ever met. It will be abused, there will be accidents, Tesla needs to make sure that they are rare and avoidable. As much as I want it and think I could handle it, I see total morons on the road every drive that I don't want anywhere near a car that will "do the worst possible thing at the worse possible time".

It's pretty clear now what FSD does well and what it does poorly. Certainly few if any surprises left, so I'll just wait now. For those that like to tear apart new videos have at it but I think most people would prefer you wait until the next FSD beta:)
I definitely would prefer to try out the next FSD beta myself, but I guess in the meantime without a wider release, all we get is nit picking what seems to be more and more minor issues. :p

Was FSD beta's behavior correct in wanting to drive beside the Mercedes that illegally cut in from the outer turn lane crossing guiding stripes into the inner turn lane?

illegal mercedes.jpg

Fortunately, once it got closer to the end of the turn, FSD beta realized it shouldn't drive into the yellow crosshatched area (and hopefully if it was actually a median, it would have realized sooner to avoid driving into a barrier). It seemed pretty clear early on that the Mercedes intended to cut in as opposed to accidentally oversteering, so maybe FSD should have slowed/followed sooner? But that might lead to phantom braking during a turn, which might be worse… ?

Reactions: WattPwr
I definitely would prefer to try out the next FSD beta myself, but I guess in the meantime without a wider release, all we get is nit picking what seems to be more and more minor issues. :p
The videos are pretty useful to me, new analysis comes up all the time.

Most of my comments are trying to point out major issues, things that are likely to cause accidents. Things like pulling directly into the path of oncoming buses is pretty serious stuff which FSD has by no means managed to solve yet.

@Frenchie Thanks for the larger visualization. It's a tricky thing adjusting the placement for quality and safety. I wonder if a camera in the middle of the windshield would be feasible as it would block your view as well as the wipers -- this would maybe give a better view of the traffic lights but still not too much sky and allows the hood to be covered up by the screen overlay.

Definitely easier to see vehicle box visualization colors compared to the previous video. Here's another strange floating orange box that I don't think I've noticed with other FSD beta videos, which makes me wonder if there's something with your cameras???

more floating.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: powertoold
@Frenchie Thanks for the larger visualization. It's a tricky thing adjusting the placement for quality and safety. I wonder if a camera in the middle of the windshield would be feasible as it would block your view as well as the wipers -- this would maybe give a better view of the traffic lights but still not too much sky and allows the hood to be covered up by the screen overlay.

Definitely easier to see vehicle box visualization colors compared to the previous video. Here's another strange floating orange box that I don't think I've noticed with other FSD beta videos, which makes me wonder if there's something with your cameras???

View attachment 633647

Yeah, I can adjust the camera tilt. That should give us a better view to the traffic lights. I focused so much on the bigger visualization, I didn't notice I was going too low. I can fix that in future videos.

That floating orange box is funny to watch. I'll make Sure the car is cleaned up for future tests. With the heavy snow, there is a lot of salt on the road. I'll make sure cameras are cleaned for next tests and we can see if that improves.

Also WTF, it's a 2021 Model Y? How are they picking people at this point? Employee?
Their first video/vlog was back on December 24th which probably was soon after their purchase. They commented: "We purchased the FSD package, and we got the invite to the Early Access Program the next month, then FSD update was sent to the Model Y a week later. No request made, but you do have to opt in to EAP if you are invited."

I suppose maybe one benefit of paying the higher $10k FSD price? :rolleyes: